Guanacaste, CR in June

Post your questions (and answers) about dive excursions abroad here.
BUZO71
Aquaphile

Guanacaste, CR in June

Post by BUZO71 »

Has anyone been up there? Which dive company is best in the area? I'm thinking rocket frog diving at this point. Thanks
Fortes fortuna iuvat
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Re: Guanacaste, CR in June

Post by Scubie Doo »

I was there last year and rocket frog is fantastic. There boats are super fast and comfy.

http://www.jessemillerphotography.com/T ... Rica-2014/
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

Deep Blue Diving is also great.
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option
ggthatcher
Frequent Bubbler

Post by ggthatcher »

Hi
I just got back from diving with Rocket Frog about 6 weeks ago. If you want some details, you can reach out.

Rocket Frog was "ok". Not the best, and not the worst.
They loaded 3 tanks that were either close to empty or close to it onto the boat. We were lucky some of the divers opted out of the 2nd dive, or the guys I was with would have been very pissed.

If you are on the small boats, I think it is a great operation. The larger boat was horrible. There is almost zero room to move around. Also, I don't know what the did to the boat, but it is SO slow. I heard different reasons from one of the engines was out, to the fact that the engines were mounted too high. It took forever to get out to where we wanted to go.

Next: We had about 14 divers and 4 DM's on the boat. During the pre-dive brief the lady ID'd each side of the boat to go with 2 of the DM's. Than, the dropped 18 people into the water and we all descended at the same time. There was NO WAY to know who was the DM, who was a diver, and what way we were to go. It was so stupid. There were divers going every direction.

The office staff was really great.

The area is amazing. I LOVE this area and am really considering a 6 month extended stay there. I went at the wrong time of the year for great scuba, but would go again in a heart-beat.
I don't think I would do RocketFrog, though I did buy a shirt from them.

The visibility was about 30 feet. Kinda chilly. I saw a couple of sharks and a couple of rays.
TONS and TONS and TONS of puffer fish.
BUZO71
Aquaphile

Post by BUZO71 »

SO, I went with Rich Coast Diving in Playa Del Coco. It was a great time. I didn't have time for Bat Island but the two places I saw were great considering the time of year. I would definitely go with them again.
Fortes fortuna iuvat