Philippines Diving - Dumaguete or Puerta Galera?

Post your questions (and answers) about dive excursions abroad here.
finnegankp
Dive-aholic

Philippines Diving - Dumaguete or Puerta Galera?

Post by finnegankp »

Hello NWDC Folks!

So as extreme luck would have it, my wife was fortunate enough to win an all inclusive trip to the Philippines from the UWS Diver's Fair last night. We've never gone to the Philippines but have heard the diving is stunning. However the trip requires us to pick between the two Atlantis resorts in Dumaguette and Puerta Galera. I'm less concerned about the resorts, but would love to know if anyone has dove at either location or perhaps both and has any advice on which location is better and when is best to go to get the best diving and visibility?

I'd love to hear all the opinions and suggestions!

- Kyle
To dive? Or not to dive?... the latter is irrelevant! Get in the water!
KneeDeep
Submariner

Re: Philippines Diving - Dumaguete or Puerta Galera?

Post by KneeDeep »

Interesting to hear on both of these resorts... as I'll be going to both shortly.
The ocean is a lousy teacher. First you get a test, then the lesson.
KneeDeep
Submariner

Post by KneeDeep »

Interesting to hear on both of these resorts... as I'll be going to both shortly.
The ocean is a lousy teacher. First you get a test, then the lesson.
finnegankp
Dive-aholic

Post by finnegankp »

KneeDeep,

When are you going?

- Kyle
To dive? Or not to dive?... the latter is irrelevant! Get in the water!
diverden
Compulsive Diver

Post by diverden »

I stayed at Atlantis Dumaguette for something like 9 days of diving, last October. It was pretty good. I was a little let down by near shore conditions. I have high expectations. Some of the reefs were a little boring, lacking in structure and coral but we saw lots of cool critters. However, the nearby island of Apo was stellar. The resort ran some trips out there. So, to make things complicated for you, Puerto Galera (from what I've heard) is better then Dumaguette but Apo Island is the best :)
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

Puerto Galera was pretty good for local reefs and critter life when we were there this spring. Viz went from OK > lackluster > to horrible (think Cove 2 on a BAD day....no, really), but that apparently was unusual. Numerous people strongly suggested the $25 extra charge and ride out to Verde. I cannot recommend that too strongly! Great water clarity, lots of fish life, and the nicest reef I've ever seen. Maybe the odd critters are there too but there is so much REEF going on that I mostly didn't see them.

We didn't go there for the reefs, we went for weird critters and were not disappointed. The reefs were a bonus. In some spots they are decent, in other places all but non-existent, but THAT's where some of the great odd critters live.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
Magoi
Dive-aholic

Post by Magoi »

I have done 1 trip to Dumaguette and 2 to Puerto Galera. I prefer Puerto Galera for the diving. Strong second for the reef at Verde - I liked it better than Apo. I also had good viz on both trips, which were in February/March. Muck diving is great and that is really the draw.
Confidence is the feeling you have before you understand the situation.
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

So what did you decide to do? My wife is from Negros Oriental and last year I did some diving at Elderado Beach Resort. The one thing I noticed was the reefs just off shore have been pretty beat up by the typhoons they have there. I did 1 day of diving Apo Island and the reefs there are much better. They also offer Whale shark dives and there is also diving at Siquijor Island as well. I have not dived Puerta Galera so I cannot say anything on that resort area. I will add this though if you have not traveled to the Philippines. First if your using public restrooms make sure you take your own toilet paper as they do NOT supply it. Sometimes all you get is what looks to be a sprayer for your undercarriage. ;-) Second is drink bottled water outside of resorts or your probably going to regret it. They dont filter ice so drinks with no ice. I usually just get a can of soda.
Jeff Castor