Diving Klein Bonaire

Post your questions (and answers) about dive excursions abroad here.
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Diving Klein Bonaire

Post by Gdog »

Does anyone know if you can just drag a couple tanks onto the water taxi to Klein and shore dive it, or do you have to do one of the boat dives? Tom Nic, I'd say this question is directed to your bonairian expertise?!
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Re: Diving Klein Bonaire

Post by fmerkel »

I doubt it. Snorkeling is OK. Never heard of anyone using it to dive and I've been there 6x. Generally the only boat dives you can go on are the resort you are staying with or getting tanks from if you are staying at a private condo. FWIW, I went there once, and figured it wasn't worth the $75 trip (years ago, probably more now) and hassle of being on a boat with the inevitable newbies cutting bottom time. Never have stayed at a resort with boat dives as part of the package. If you do at least that's a spot you can't get to from shore. Most of the rest of the dives you can. You can even do some 'wild side diving from shore, if you know how (not easy). What I like about Bonaire is going where you want, when you want, and diving the way you want. No schedules.

Got this from one of the reviews about the taxi:
[The only way to dive here is on organized boat dives.]
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Gdog wrote:Does anyone know if you can just drag a couple tanks onto the water taxi to Klein and shore dive it, or do you have to do one of the boat dives? Tom Nic, I'd say this question is directed to your bonairian expertise?!
Don't think so.

Go down to WannaDive and tell them you want to dive some of the less dove further sites on Klein. If you can get an agreement, then pay the $25 a dive and enjoy!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Was wondering about the water taxi. Dutch guy takes it out to Klein to snorkel. But I doubt they would do the dive tanks and Take business away from the dive shops. If we get bored we might do a boat dive to Klein. Just had a great night dive at salt pier.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

I love Salt Pier!

And I'm pretty doubtful about the Water Taxi.

In any case, you'd only get to dive at the beach they dropped you off at.

My memory of Klein is that the dive wasn't much different from any of the sites you'd do on the main island. The exception is if they take you to the better (read further away) sites on Klein. I'd push them to do this or else not spend the money there and go eat ribs and tenderloin at the Rib Factory!!
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Probably pass on Klein. But not on the rib factory!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Gdog wrote:Probably pass on Klein. But not on the rib factory!
:partydance: :taco: :partydance: :taco: :supz:
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

Love the sites on Klein. Bonaire Dive and Adventure at Den Laman usually does a couple of trips there each week depending on what divers ask for. Whenever we are there we always go over there a time or two. But the further away sites are better of course. If you check in with them, they'll either be able to tell you when they are going or perhaps even set up a trip there for you if they can get enough divers interested.
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option