Cal-i-forn-i-a - West Coast Roadtrip Diving

Post your questions (and answers) about dive excursions abroad here.
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Cal-i-forn-i-a - West Coast Roadtrip Diving

Post by Tangfish »

Well, I just decided to drive instead of fly down to the Scuba Show in Long Beach, and I want to dive some of the iconic sites along the west coast of California along the way and while I'm down in SoCal, where I'll be spending most of my time.

I'm a complete n00b when it comes to diving in CA - so can anyone here please suggest must-see dive sites, good operators or local dive buddies I should look into? No info is too obvious! (for example, water temps) As I said, I know nothing about the diving in the area.

Some things I hope to see: photogenic/playful pinnipeds, kelp forests, good vis for wide angle, oil rigs and of course girls in bikinis. :calvin:
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Re: Cal-i-forn-i-a - West Coast Roadtrip Diving

Post by Scubie Doo »

You have to hit Point Lobos in Monterey. Lovers Point is a decent Monterrey shore dive and make sure you eat at Pho King. Pronounced f'ing. In case you didn't know.
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Tangfish wrote:Well, I just decided to drive instead of fly down to the Scuba Show in Long Beach, and I want to dive some of the iconic sites along the west coast of California along the way and while I'm down in SoCal, where I'll be spending most of my time.

I'm a complete n00b when it comes to diving in CA - so can anyone here please suggest must-see dive sites, good operators or local dive buddies I should look into? No info is too obvious! (for example, water temps) As I said, I know nothing about the diving in the area.

Some things I hope to see: photogenic/playful pinnipeds, kelp forests, good vis for wide angle, oil rigs and of course girls in bikinis. :calvin:
Sounds fun!

Maybe contact Vladkarp, who moved down there?

Got time for any boat trips? We went on the Vision in the Channel Islands.

They went to the oil rigs too, but if you're going to go there, ask if the rigs have a lot of life on them, as of late. We went out on one of the oil rigs and they had stripped all marine life off of the pilings down to 85'. Talk about a bummer!
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Definitely have time for some boat dives! I will look up Vladkarp.

Oh, and I get the Pho reference, Scubie ;)
mpenders
Submariner

Post by mpenders »

Tangfish wrote: ...Some things I hope to see: photogenic/playful pinnipeds, kelp forests, good vis for wide angle...
Monterey, definitely.
Tangfish wrote: ...oil rigs and of course girls in bikinis. :calvin:
Not Monterey. Bring your drysuit, and warm clothes for post-dive.

Pt. Lobos and/or the Carmel area should be high on your list. Better vis, better color, and better critters than in Monterey Bay. However, rough sea conditions can prevent the charter boats from getting out there.

Pt. Lobos is a state park/preserve, and has shore-dive access. There's a list of rules you need to be aware of when diving here, and they are enforced. Find their website for details and to make reservations (highly recommended), as they limit the number of divers per day. Getting weekend access can be very tough. You MUST have a buddy to dive the site - and he/she must check-in at the park's main gate with you. The park ranger will require your C-card upon park entry, too.

The charter I've used in Monterey is no longer doing dive trips. There's a good info on charters at http://montereydiveboats.com/. I know that Beachhopper II will do charters inside Pt. Lobos. Again, there are some state park rules they must follow in order to do this - check their site for details.

I just found a new charter that looks to provide a more private, less cattle-boat, experience: Monterey Blue. I don't know anything about him, but he might be your best bet to get to Pt. Lobos during a weekday and/or if you aren't bringing a buddy along with you. With his boat (that looks like he can launch at the small ramp in the park) you will have access to areas of the park that would be too to far to swim to from shore.
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

If you go near Santa Barbara and the Channel Islands, also give my Buddy Richard Salas a buzz. He wrote a book on UW photography in the region. He should be able to give you some good tips!

I believe vladkarp is near the Bay Area.
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Thanks for those tips, mpenders!

YellowEye, I can't find Vladkarp for some reason. Is his username something different? Also, I know of Richard, I'll drop him a line. Haven't met him in person before but I've seen his work for a long time. Thanks!
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Tangfish wrote:Thanks for those tips, mpenders!

YellowEye, I can't find Vladkarp for some reason. Is his username something different? Also, I know of Richard, I'll drop him a line. Haven't met him in person before but I've seen his work for a long time. Thanks!
Oops, username is just Vlad. I can send you his facebook info too.

-Eric