God's Pocket keeping deposits for COVID cancelled trips

Post your questions (and answers) about dive excursions abroad here.
maelstrom
Frequent Bubbler

God's Pocket keeping deposits for COVID cancelled trips

Post by maelstrom »

I was scheduled on a group trip to God's Pocket that was just cancelled due to the border closure. God's Pocket IS NOT refunding any of our deposits, but only offering to apply them to trips in 2021. This was a very shaky financial operation even before the pandemic, with a lot of debt. I fully expect that they will be out of business before 2021, and we will all be out $500. If you value your hard earned money, think long and hard before you send it to God's Pocket Resort.
dlh
Submariner

Re: God's Pocket keeping deposits for COVID cancelled trips

Post by dlh »

Unfair and bitter criticism. Almost ALL dive ops world wide are handling things this way. As someone with four canceled trips so far, I can attest to that. If we want to keep any of these operations active for the future we should be more accommodating and support them.
Dave
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

God's pocket has a revenue stream now, they're serving Canadian divers now, more of which may go there since tropical is out. Gp also got a government grant.

Wishing them nothing but the best. I have no problems with them keeping my deposit. I'd be signing up immediately for the year after again anyway.
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
eh.haole
Avid Diver

Post by eh.haole »

Were you (original poster) dealing directly with GP yourself? Or was this a booking through a third party (shop or organizer)?

I could imagine a resort telling a shop that their group booking slot & deposit has been bumped ahead...please understand, etc etc
In those cases however, the shop/organizer is also technically the one deciding not to refund you your deposit

One would hope that the resort could quickly re-book enough slots that outstanding deposits could be cleared, but will that happen?
BUZO71
Aquaphile

Post by BUZO71 »

This is the same thing going on with concerts. They are rolling back concert dates because in most cases, they have already paid out for support personnel and venue costs. I would imagine the same thing here and thy probably don't have the money to return. They would probably be out of business if they had to try to pay all the deposits back. Now, $500 isn't the end of the world but a good reason to have travel cancellation insurance. You could always try to get money back that way, I suppose. Bottom line, I can't imagine any business could have seen this coming and they are trying to stay afloat to offer you the trip next year. If you don't like the risk of losing or shifting a trip, dive local.
Fortes fortuna iuvat
dlh
Submariner

Post by dlh »

BUZO71 wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:20 pm . Now, $500 isn't the end of the world but a good reason to have travel cancellation insurance. You could always try to get money back that way, I suppose. Bottom line, I can't imagine any business could have seen this coming and they are trying to stay afloat to offer you the trip next year. If you don't like the risk of losing or shifting a trip, dive local.
Travel Insurance is not applicable for any Covid related travel cancelations. Useless. I would never buy it for any reason as there are some many exceptions. However if you can get for free as a Credit Card benefit it's a good idea. (Chase Resevere, Amex Platinum, etc)
Dave
BUZO71
Aquaphile

Post by BUZO71 »

Travel Insurance is not applicable for any Covid related travel cancelations. Useless. I would never buy it for any reason as there are some many exceptions. However if you can get for free as a Credit Card benefit it's a good idea. (Chase Resevere, Amex Platinum, etc)
Depends on the policy and when the trip was booked but I will agree, CC coverage is much more liberal.
Fortes fortuna iuvat
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

I would be upset if a resort kept my deposit and that's pretty lame
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

dlh wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:30 pm Unfair and bitter criticism. Almost ALL dive ops world wide are handling things this way. As someone with four canceled trips so far, I can attest to that. If we want to keep any of these operations active for the future we should be more accommodating and support them.
Plus one++ for what Dave is saying....
I'm trying not to violate the forum rules of not being a d*ck, but really... considering the situation, they are doing the best they can. Did you read the cancellation policy? Did you buy travel insurance? Probably no....
Sh*t happens and this is a big sh*t happens! Why not work with them and re-plan your trip in 2021?
eh.haole
Avid Diver

Post by eh.haole »

How about a little thought experiment where we put ourselves in the other's shoes. Our country's incompetence, denial and defiance has ruined their whole year as a business

Blame whoever you think is responsible for letting USA become the greatest covid nation, thus forcing border closures, and letting down cross-border businesses to the point of bankruptcy

I will not name names that don't deserve to be spoken (and perhaps never did)

Also don't let the shop/organizer just blame GP. This is not an "us and them" situation
BUZO71
Aquaphile

Post by BUZO71 »

eh.haole wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:01 am How about a little thought experiment where we put ourselves in the other's shoes. Our country's incompetence, denial and defiance has ruined their whole year as a business

Blame whoever you think is responsible for letting USA become the greatest covid nation, thus forcing border closures, and letting down cross-border businesses to the point of bankruptcy

I will not name names that don't deserve to be spoken (and perhaps never did)

Also don't let the shop/organizer just blame GP. This is not an "us and them" situation
Well, that did not take long.
Fortes fortuna iuvat
60south
Pelagic

Post by 60south »

In this discussion, I don't think anyone mentioned who, exactly, cancelled the trip.

If a US-based dive group canceled it, then GP is doing you a big favor by offering to apply your deposit to a future stay.

A guest's inability to travel to the resort is not GP's fault; they could just as easily not give any refund or credit at all, depending on the terms of the reservation.