Belize Resort Recommendations Please

Post your questions (and answers) about dive excursions abroad here.
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Belize Resort Recommendations Please

Post by dwashbur »

Hi all,
It's been a long time since I was on here. I had a heart attack in 2019, then my wife developed chronic pericarditis and has been fighting that for close to 3 years, so we haven't been in the water. But we're both getting back to full strength now, and we want to plan a trip to Belize next year.
The number of resorts is mind-boggling, so we need help. Which have you found to be good, which have problems, blah blah blah. The only thing we know for sure is that we want to stay at one with shore diving.

Suggestions? THANKS!
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
60south
Pelagic

Re: Belize Resort Recommendations Please

Post by 60south »

:popcorn: Me too.
Sharkb8
Dive-aholic

Post by Sharkb8 »

Belize is a great spot! The best diving is in the atolls away from the mainland. Unfortunately shore diving is not a thing that (as far as I am aware) any resorts offer. I've been on Glovers Atoll where Off the Wall Dive is located. Its remote and the walls are spectacular. There is snorkeling inside the lagoon on various patch reefs that maybe they would let you swim out to with a tank, but you would have to check with them. I only dove with them (was staying at Slickrock next door) but it seemed like a first class operation. I know a couple people that have stayed at Huracan Diving Lodge at the Lighthouse Reef Atoll and they loved it. That's the area that the liveaboards dive and is near the blue hole. Hamanasi Resort down south I've heard is very nice also, but longer boat rides are required to reach the diving. The most popular diving is off the main cayes (Ambergis and Caye Caulker). Lots of dive ops and the islands are a lot of fun for non-diving activities and relaxing. The diving isn't as good as the atolls but it's still decent enough if your standards aren't too high. No matter what plan for some time exploring the jungle also. It's beautiful and the people are great.
Last edited by Sharkb8 on Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Party underwater
dlh
Submariner

Post by dlh »

Maybe consider going to Roatan in Honduras instead. It's very near Belize, but there are numerous resorts that feature both shore and boat diving.

I've been to CoCoView a few times, but it's been at least 16 years since my last visit. Recent trip photos and reports from friends still look great. You can do unlimited shore dives there along two walls, a shipwreck, and a sunken plane (assuming there is anything left of it).
Dave
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

Cocoview may be our favorite place on the whole planet. We've been there multiple times. We've heard about the diving in Belize and want to check it out. And as a bonus, Cocoview is right around the corner if we want to pop over and visit Robert and Gringo.
So, specific resort names? I gather many of them are on the little islands that are dotted all over the place like Poseidon's toes...
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com