Cheap Tropical Shore Diving?

Post your questions (and answers) about dive excursions abroad here.
Gvonada
Frequent Bubbler

Cheap Tropical Shore Diving?

Post by Gvonada »

Hello all,

We had been going to Maui for a while for the easy tropical shore dives. My daughter loves diving Ulua beach. Unfortunately, Maui is starting a program that restricts visitors from parking at Ulua from 7-10am :angry: .

I'm fed up with the unfriendly vibe that Maui has developed towards visitors, (and both parking and the dive site deteriorates after 10am) and I was considering another Hawaiian island. Does anyone have a favorite Hawaiian island for shore diving? Or any other favorite, inexpensive shore dive trips?

I like Bonaire, but big silver fish freak out my daughter. (She's loves sharks, but tarpon she just can't deal with).

Any recommendations would be appreciated!

Greg
Boarderguy
Frequent Bubbler

Re: Cheap Tropical Shore Diving?

Post by Boarderguy »

It all depends on what you're into. I like the big island. 2 Step has a a really nice reef fire about 75-100 yards that drops from 5ft to 35 ft. After that it goes pretty deep with a nice wall of coral. Occasional tiger shark and lots of pretty fish. When I was there in May I had over 100 feet of vis and water temp of 82 at 103 fsw.
- Jacob -
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

I second that for Hawaii. The big island has some great shore diving. Your daughter will really enjoy 2 step. Puako is another fun site.
There used to be a really great website called shorediving.com with all the info you could want, but it looks like that website is now gone.
I do have to ask, have you and your daughter dove the old Mala Pier?
Gvonada
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Gvonada »

Yes, we love Mala pier! It’s an incredible dive. She loves the sharks that come by, and we counted over fifty turtles on one dive. Getting out from shore is an ankle-buster, though. I can’t do it every day.
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Another fun dive my wife loves on the Big Island is Old Airport. Some really cool structure with underwater arches, especially to the right. Another is mile marker 4, which is right next to magic sands beach. You enter and go to the left. There is a nice big underwater cave.
Here is a link to some of the shore dives on the Big Island:
https://www.jacksdivinglocker.com/en/shore-diving-maps