What documents should I take to Bonaire?

Post your questions (and answers) about dive excursions abroad here.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

What documents should I take to Bonaire?

Post by Sounder »

I'm planning to take the following documents but would like suggestions for any that I haven't thought to bring:

US Passport
WA Driver's License
NAUI AOW
NAUI EANx
DAN Preferred Insurance Card

What else, if any, should I take with me?
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

For what you guys have in mind that should cover all your dive bases.

Once you get there, though, you will need something that you can only get once you arrive.

Before you can dive in Bonaire you must take a class on reef preservation skills. You can get information on it from the dive operator you will be using there. It'll be an hour or so in length and might include a dive. Once you have taken the class you will get a little plastic disk with the date of your class on it to place on your BC - unless things have changed, it's good for a year from the date of issue.

It might sound like a hassle, but it really isn't. Their emphasis on marine preservation is the main reason that Bonaire's reefs are so pristine.

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Dmitchell
Perma Narc'd

Post by Dmitchell »

I'd take a TDI Eanx :la:

Kidding!

Dave
Dave Mitchell
Ken G
I've Got Gills

Post by Ken G »

When I arrived I had to do a check out dive to get my park permit. They wanted me to do this with one of there dive masters to ensure we knew what we were doing. Some shops make you go with a DM others will give quick lecture then turn you loose on a house reef. Wannadive (who you will be with) states they require a DM to go with you. Make sure you go early if you want to make sure they have someone available. After speaking to the owner of the resort my DM card was enough let me go without supervision.

I would suggest you also make copies of the documents you asked about. Give a set to Tom and one to your wife just in case. Other than that I think your set. You dont need to carry a drivers license while there either. I was told to leave it in the safe.

Get a copy of Susan Porters -Shore Diving made easy. I have one if you want to get it from me. Let me know?
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

John Rawlings wrote:For what you guys have in mind that should cover all your dive bases.

Once you get there, though, you will need something that you can only get once you arrive.

Before you can dive in Bonaire you must take a class on reef preservation skills. You can get information on it from the dive operator you will be using there. It'll be an hour or so in length and might include a dive. Once you have taken the class you will get a little plastic disk with the date of your class on it to place on your BC - unless things have changed, it's good for a year from the date of issue.

It might sound like a hassle, but it really isn't. Their emphasis on marine preservation is the main reason that Bonaire's reefs are so pristine.

- John
John, you forgot one important detail ... before they give you that little plastic disk you must first give them $25 USD.

Also guys ... keep some money on hand for a departure tax ... we do want you to be able to come home ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Ken G
I've Got Gills

Post by Ken G »

Bring $20s with you rather than $100 bills. Much easier to use on Bonaire
BUZO71
Aquaphile

Post by BUZO71 »

Yeah, how does that phone call go... ' sorry Boss, I can't come to work because I don't have the departure tax to leave Bonaire....' \:D/ what a shame that would be :supz:
Fortes fortuna iuvat
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

just pay the departure tax when you arrive, before you even leave the airport.
"Life without passion is life without depth."~J.Hollis
my FLICKR photo sets
Ken G
I've Got Gills

Post by Ken G »

[quote="thelawgoddess"]just pay the departure tax when you arrive, before you even leave the airport.[/q

I was told there are new rules and that you cant pay until its time to leave. It took all of 30 seconds to pay so it was not a hastle at all
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Sounds quite American... "you're paying tax on your travel to get here, tax on things around the island including your food, diving, truck, lodging, etc... and then you have to pay another tax if you want to leave!"

That's some Gangster Sh*t!!!

...ok, so how much is my departure tax? Just curious.

Good idea on the $20's versus $100's. Thanks.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Sounder wrote:Sounds quite American... "you're paying tax on your travel to get here, tax on things around the island including your food, diving, truck, lodging, etc... and then you have to pay another tax if you want to leave!"

That's some Gangster Sh*t!!!

...ok, so how much is my departure tax? Just curious.

Good idea on the $20's versus $100's. Thanks.
$32 ... if you haven't already done so, here's a good website you should peruse ... http://www.infobonaire.com/travel.html

Another thing I found out last year when I went to Bonaire ... due to the rising popularity of identity theft, it's always a good idea to let your credit card company know if you're travelling out of the country. Last year, I had both of my cards turned down in Cozumel because I hadn't thought to let my CC companies know I would be there ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Grateful Diver wrote:Another thing I found out last year when I went to Bonaire ...
Er ... that should be "Cozumel", not "Bonaire" ...

... for some reason, I've lost the ability to edit my own posts. Wazzup widdat?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

I second Ken G's advice to make copies of all of those things you listed, as well as your Credit card that you'll be bringing. If you have many credit cards, lighten your wallet and bring only one or two with you. That way if your wallet gets stolen, you'll have minimal calls to make to cancel your cards.

Keep a copy of both front AND back of your card(s) at home, as well as with you in a separate bag from the real documents. I always look up and write down phone numbers of who to call if something should happen.

Also give eachother your wife's contact info in case something happens to you. (wow, this sounds morbid doesn't it!!?)

- Janna (better to be prepared!)
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

nwscubamom wrote:
Also give eachother your wife's contact info in case something happens to you. (wow, this sounds morbid doesn't it!!?)

- Janna (better to be prepared!)
Yeah, that way Cindy can help Erica collect my life insurance!! :pale:
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

This is all very helpful and I'm definitely going to notify my bank of my travels and have the recommended copies of the cards and other documents.

I only have 1 credit card and it's through my bank so that keeps the phone calls easy!! \:D/

Thank you all so much. This is my first time traveling outside North & Central America so your advice is greatly appreciated.

12 DAYS!!! :bounce: \:D/ :bounce: \:D/
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

yeah; copies of everything! more than 1 - leave one with someone at home and take a couple with you kept in very safe places and separate from the actual documents. never hurts to be over-prepared!

you are gonna have so much fun. bonaire is AMAZING!!! long, long dives in clear, clear water ... and so much life ... LUCKY YOU!!!
"Life without passion is life without depth."~J.Hollis
my FLICKR photo sets
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

I'm looking fwd to all the pictures Tom will take!
Sounder might even take a few.

I hope to go there some day! :supz:

Maybe next year, :bounce: :bounce: \:D/
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

10 DAYS!!! :bounce: \:D/
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

This time next week, we'll be just about ready to leave the house for our flight to Bonaire!!! :bounce: Oh yeah, FIRST CLASS!!! \:D/ :partyman:

My last cold-water dive before Bonaire was Friday and I'm now configuring my gear for WARM WATER!!! \:D/
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Scubagirl45 wrote:
Sounder wrote:This time next week, we'll be just about ready to leave the house for our flight to Bonaire!!! :bounce: Oh yeah, FIRST CLASS!!! \:D/ :partyman:

My last cold-water dive before Bonaire was Friday and I'm now configuring my gear for WARM WATER!!! \:D/
We get it!! You're going to BONAIRE!!! Will you stop bragging! [-X
But seriously, have a great time and I expect to see a trip report when you get back (and some pictures or course!).
Does it seem like I might be a bit over excited? :dontknow:

Let me think about it... um, NOPE!! \:D/ :bounce: \:D/ :bounce: