CoCo View Resort questions

Post your questions (and answers) about dive excursions abroad here.
DiverBob
Compulsive Diver

CoCo View Resort questions

Post by DiverBob »

Has anyone been to this resort in Roatan? My wife and I want a dive vacation. No site seeing, no shopping, no shows and schedules. I just want to dive. When the boat dives are done for the day, I want to shore dive at the resort. CoCo View seems to best fit our wish list. We are looking at going late spring, assuming we are still employed. We are interested in doing a live aboard, but I am not much of a boat person. My biggest fear is spending all the money and being sick the whole time. Any other suggestions and opinions welcome. Thanks, Bob
Life is good, let's dive!!
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Re: CoCo View Resort questions

Post by Grateful Diver »

DiverBob wrote:Has anyone been to this resort in Roatan? My wife and I want a dive vacation. No site seeing, no shopping, no shows and schedules. I just want to dive. When the boat dives are done for the day, I want to shore dive at the resort. CoCo View seems to best fit our wish list. We are looking at going late spring, assuming we are still employed. We are interested in doing a live aboard, but I am not much of a boat person. My biggest fear is spending all the money and being sick the whole time. Any other suggestions and opinions welcome. Thanks, Bob
You picked the right place.There two walls and an awesome wreck right there in their "Front Yard".

Remind me Friday and I'll show you a photo show of our 2005 trip there.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

I'll second that. Cocoview is not a fancy resort, but they make it incredibly easy to dive there.

Do take bug repellent, a lot of people swear by Cactus Juice, which is all-natural. If you use a chemical based repellent be sure to wash it off before getting in the water.

Photos from the week...

http://picasaweb.google.com/penopolypants/Roatan2007#
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Just get the Cactus Juice ... besides the fact that it works, and it's a natural substance, it smells good.

In fact, they sell it right there at CocoView, in the gift shop.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

I also am a CoCo View Resort fan. Zen Diver & I went there a couple of years ago and had a fantastic time. All we wanted to do was dive and dive we did-23 dives and one snorkel in 5 1/2 days. Plus, everyone is extremely helpful and friendly and the diving is fabulous.
Hope you go & have a great time.
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Grateful Diver wrote: In fact, they sell it right there at CocoView, in the gift shop.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Order it beforehand, they were out of it the week that I was there.
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Post by Pinkpadigal »

We went to Cocoview a year ago. It was the best diver friendly resort I have ever stayed at. It is possible for you to do 30+ dives in the week you are there.

We are taking a group back in August. Out of the 10 that went last time, 7 are going again. Of the not going back 3, 1 said she can't due to funds, and the other 2 already made other travel plans or they would go with us too.

It is set up for you to do unlimited diving. The boat goes twice a day, so you can do 4 boat dives a day...sort of.

Dive 1...go to a cool dive site.
Dive 2, boat drops you off on the house wall dive, and you scuba into shore.
Eat Lunch
Repeat in the afternoon

You can also dive from shore. There are 2 beautiful wall dives and the wreck of the Prince Albert. I dove their twice a day, and some night dives for a week and never saw everything. The night diving was really awesome and you could dive 24/7 if you wanted. Water temps in August were 82-84 degrees. I dove in a shorty all week and was very comfortable. Many just dove in swimsuits and were comfortable.

Roatan has recently become a marine park. Before that, it was overfished. The fish were abundant, but very small when I was there. They are growing and within the next few years, the waters are going to be teaming with all kinds of big life. The one thing I noticed is no broken coral or sandy bottoms. The reefs were very healthy and not destroyed by hurricanes. Lots of beautiful sea fans and huge basket sponges. I love diving in other areals of the caribbean, but IMHO, the diving here is some of the best.

All your meals and accommodations are included. Food is very, very good and lots of snacks. There are no tvs or phones in the rooms, but they are comfortable and we had a nice view of the ocean. This is a 3 star resort, at best and bring your bug juice. I went to REI and stocked up and had little problems with bugs. Did get my hep A and took Malaria pills though, just in case. Leave all your fancy clothes at home. Shorts, tees and flipflops are dress code here. You do have wireless available in the main house and a big screen TV in the clubhouse. We hung out at the bar when we weren't diving. There are naturalist and photography courses offered all week.

You are pretty much secluded here. If you want to get out and tour around, you need to make arrangements to do so, and it can get spendy. The resort does offer tours and trips that are pretty fun. The shark dive was really cool. We went to the spa a couple of times and they guys all did the zip lines. One of the members of our group went and visited the children at the orphanage on the island. We also spent a day diving on the West End which was very nice. In comparing it to places like Cozumel, it lacked the activites and great bargain pricing we were used to. My sister in law said it was the best vacation she had every taken, and she isn't a diver. She spent her days reading in the hammock, snorkeling, kayaking and always had a full drink glass.

Drinks are not included and gratudities are welcome. There is no cash exchanged at the resort and everything is "free until Friday". You can get nitrox for $8 per fill or $125 for unlimited.

It is a very good value for the money, and the reason we are heading back there.
Amy Rhodes
PADI Master Instructor #183890
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
http://www.a2zscuba.com
DiverBob
Compulsive Diver

Post by DiverBob »

Well, we are booked for CoCo View on the 2nd of may!! I just was not able to get any vacation for the summer to join any groups going down. I would like to plan that for next year though. I was concerned about the cost, but as we all found out this weekend, life can be very short and you just never know. My wife and I are excited about meeting new friends and diving our A$$E$ off for 5 days!
Last edited by DiverBob on Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life is good, let's dive!!
dlh
Submariner

Post by dlh »

Have fun! CocoView is great and the diving is really nice and easy. The reefs are in great shape as well. I've been there 3 times and had a good time every visit.

The best tip I can offer is bring some good bug spray and be super consistent about using it. The tiny invisible bugs can leave some nasty welts, but just a little bug spray stops them cold.

And ask for one of the seperate rooms out over the water, bigger, private, more romantic for the wifey.

Dave

CocoView Sunset
DiverBob wrote:Well, we are booked for CoCo View on the 2nd of may!! I just was not able to get any vacation for the summer to join any groups going down. I would like to plan that for next year though. I was concerned about the cost, but as we all found out this weekend, life can be very short and you just never know. My wife and I are excited about meeting new friends and diving our A$$E$ for 5 days!
Dave
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

Woohoo! Have a great time! I loved it there and got in 23 dives and one snorkel for the week. And Zen Diver & I met a couple of buddies that we still dive with whenever we get a chance even though they live in Florida. They may even be joining us for our Australia trip this fall.
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option