Kauai Diving?

Post your questions (and answers) about dive excursions abroad here.
rybob1
Getting To Know Folks

Kauai Diving?

Post by rybob1 »

I'm going to be in Kauai at the end of March/begining of April. I have been there once before, however I was w/o a dive partner and opted not to try it alone. I'd love to hear some recommendations, if they are out there, on places that would be great for shore dives this time of year, and perhaps 1-2 good boat dive locations.

Thanks!
Ryan
dlh
Submariner

Re: Kauai Diving?

Post by dlh »

I dove with Bubble's Below on Kauai in Dec 2007. They have a pretty good operation wtih excellent captains and dive guides. Be prepared for Turtles!!!

Kaui 2007 Dive Photos

rybob1 wrote:I'm going to be in Kauai at the end of March/begining of April. I have been there once before, however I was w/o a dive partner and opted not to try it alone. I'd love to hear some recommendations, if they are out there, on places that would be great for shore dives this time of year, and perhaps 1-2 good boat dive locations.

Thanks!
Ryan
Dave
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Nic pics! :supz:
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
rybob1
Getting To Know Folks

Post by rybob1 »

dlh,

These are great pictures - were these all from the boat dives, or are any of them from shore dives? We'd like to do mostly shore dives, which is why I ask.

Thanks,
Ryan
dlh
Submariner

Post by dlh »

Sorry, I didn't do any shore dives. Those are all from a boat.
rybob1 wrote:dlh,

These are great pictures - were these all from the boat dives, or are any of them from shore dives? We'd like to do mostly shore dives, which is why I ask.

Thanks,
Ryan
Dave
E_Mo
Aquaphile

Post by E_Mo »

I found a couple shore dives here: http://www.wannadive.net/spot/North_Ame ... index.html

I went to Kauai in 2005 and dove with Fathom Five Divers (South side of the island near Poipu and Koloa), they were pretty helpful and I'm sure they will be able to point you in the direction of the best shore dives on the island, I found a couple on their site: http://www.fathomfive.com/sites.htm#shoresites

Hope this helps
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. -Unknown
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

Have you checked out Shorediving.com's Kauai page?

I know that Shorediving.com's Big Island section only lists the very popular spots. As with most things in Hawaii the internet is a pretty crappy resource for finding anything. :computersmash: Better to ask in person... because no one answers the phone either.

-Eric
"I used to do this for fun, but now, I do it for nothing" -Not Joshua Smith

:eric: Hawaiian Seamonkey Blog
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

I only did one shore dive when I was there a few years ago.

http://www.shorediving.com/Earth/Hawaii ... /index.htm

It's nothing special, but currents weren't too bad, and we saw a bunch of huge sea turtles out to the left of the landing. To the right is more nice coral formations.

Have fun.
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

We had a great dive at Koloa 4 or 5 years ago.

Like Jake said, the right side of the landing (when looking out from the landing) has some nice formations and a ton of life.

We also did Sheraton Caves from shore, but I wouldn't suggest it unless you're fine with looooong surface swims (about 40 minutes each way) through constant surf. It was an awesome dive, but a long swim out and back.

I wouldn't suggest Ahukini Landing, however. Maybe it was just a bad day, but we really didn't see anything there.

Have fun!
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Here are my photos from diving off of Kauai and Ni'ihau,

http://www.calvintang.com/blog/photogra ... m-33&num=1

I did all my dives from shore, and took a (helluva) boat ride to Ni'ihau.

Have fun!
rybob1
Getting To Know Folks

Post by rybob1 »

Thanks all for these suggestions - I hadn't heard of any of these, and have some things to sort through. I'll be sure to post pictures after I return!
anndornfeld
Frequent Bubbler

Post by anndornfeld »

Don't know if you've planned all of your dives yet, but I dove last year multiple times with Bubbles Below and once with Fathom Five. Both were good, but I preferred Bubbles because they are really good about pointing out critters and doing pre-dive critter briefings - I learned a lot and knew exactly what I was looking at! I think Tunnels Reef was my favorite site.

Didn't do any shore dives, but did some great snorkeling from shore - the highlight was definitely encountering 13 turtles at once off Ke'e Beach. They nibbled algae from the holes in the lava floor, and you could hear them ripping it with their jaws... so cool.
E_Mo
Aquaphile

Post by E_Mo »

How was the trip? How were the dives? Any site worth returning to... any other never worth mentioning again???
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. -Unknown