Diving Thailand

Post your questions (and answers) about dive excursions abroad here.
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Diving Thailand

Post by scottsax »

In spite of the current political climate, I'm jonesing for a return trip to Thailand, this time as a diver! So, anyone been diving there? Where should I go? Koh Tao? Koh Phi Phi? Phuket? When in Thailand, I don't require a lot of creature comforts, just a fan, mosquito netting, and a roof over my head. Besides, that saves dough for the dive ops!

Lowell? You're our advance man over there-what have you found out?

Sawadee!
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
spatman
I've Got Gills

Re: Diving Thailand

Post by spatman »

i wish i had been certified when i was there. koh pi pi and the similans looked amazing just as a snorkeler. the divers on the boat were all having a great time...
Romer Treece
Pelagic

Post by Romer Treece »

Talk to KenG-he's pretty much a local.
Ken G
I've Got Gills

Post by Ken G »

Hi Scott,

Here are some random thoughts....

I lived in Thailand from 2001-2004. Ran a dive boat in the gulf when I was not doing my other job. Im happy to answer any questions you might have.

When are you thinking of going? Most of the diving is seasonal so the time of year will probably dictate the location you are going to. Jan-Feb are by far the best months to travel.

(Koh Tao)? Very small Island completely saturated with divers and dive shops. You may see more divers than fish. That said I like Koh Tao and would go back. The diving was a mix of pinnacles, reefs, and large boulder sites. A few wrecks of shore as well.

(Koh Phi Phi?) One of the nicest islands in Thailand. Also one of the most expensive and touristed. Diving is probably third best in Thailand by reputation. Good reefs and close proximity to the King Cruiser wreck.

(Phuket?) By far the largest of the places you asked about. It is a proper city where as the others are towns or villages. It has multiple beaches and is known for night life and beaches. A good place to use as a main hub. Also a good place to head to the Similan Islands from. Probably considered #2 for diving where the Similans are #1

One idea would be.... probably fly into Bangkok and adjust. Then hop the over night train to Chumpon. From Chumpon take the ferry to Koh Tao. From Koh Tao I would take the ferry south to Koh Phangan then to Koh Samui. Samui back to the mainland (Surat Thani) via ferry. From there a quick bus ride to Krabi. From Krabi take the ferry to Koh Phi Phi. Phi Phi to Phuket. Phuket to Similans. Then back to Bangkok.

Basicaly one big circle that can be done in either direction. You could skip over half the places as well.

If your going Dec-April I would reccomend the Similan Islands. Either by liveaboard or day trips out of Ko Lak. The diving is great and the live aboards are inexpensive. A 4 day 4 night trip goes for about $750 all inclusive.

While in that general area I would check out Krabi, Railey Beach, Koh Lanta, and possibly cross the border into Malaysia for a quick trip to Penang Island. The north is great as well. Laos is my favorite country in SE Asia though and easy to get to from Bangkok

I personaly would avoid Pattaya. But some like it.

I would look into the Similans, and Krabi.

A few of us are going in Feb for a liveaboard trip to the Similans. I cant wait!!

Using Protech for our diving needs. They have been easy to work with and are supplying our gasses, sorb etc for our rebreathers as well as twins for our oc buddies. (http://protechdivers.com/)

Let me know any specific questions you might have. Diving or non diving related.

Cheers,
Ken
Attachments
thailand.gif
Last edited by Ken G on Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Huskychemist
Dive-aholic

Post by Huskychemist »

I'm in the middle of my "dive trip of a lifetime" to Lembeh, so I'd like some time to put thought into my answer.

When are you going? Yes, weather dictates where the good diving is at each time of the year.

But I'd be happy to help.

Maybe send me an e-mail and we can start a dialogue.

Thanks.

Lowell
Happy Diving!

Lowell, aka Huskychemist

http://scuba.huskychemist.org
Ken G
I've Got Gills

Post by Ken G »

Huskychemist wrote:I'm in the middle of my "dive trip of a lifetime" to Lembeh, so I'd like some time to put thought into my answer.

When are you going? Yes, weather dictates where the good diving is at each time of the year.

But I'd be happy to help.

Maybe send me an e-mail and we can start a dialogue.

Thanks.

Lowell
Wow...Its a dream of mine to dive Lembeh! Have a great time
JimmyEis
Frequent Bubbler

Post by JimmyEis »

I have dove Koh Tao.

The diving is kinda focused on the new diver.

It seems like the place to go and get Open Water certified.

We had just come from Bali so maybe we were spoiled, but the diving didn't seem that great and had rough seas & poor vis at times in september.

Plus seems like most of the boats are big and has more of a cattle feeling due to many new divers.

The island was nice and it seems like a place you could stay for a long time on the cheap if you want.

We flew from Bangkok to Koh Samui and then ferry to Koh Tao.

We need to go back so we can dive the Similans
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

I was thinking about January; making the trip a much-needed break from winter. I love Koh Samui-I've been there twice. I took a snorkel trip out to Koh Tao and loved it. Haven't been to the west coast, though-that's why I asked about Koh Phi Phi and Phuket.

Hmm-more food for thought.

Keep the suggestions coming-when I start seriously thinking about the trip, I'll pick everyone's brain in detail.

:thankyouyellow:
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
azathoth
Avid Diver

Post by azathoth »

I'm definately going to be there in late January, my yearly trip. I'll be in Pattaya for the first week for my "mental health time", might try to get some dive training in. Hope fully I'll make it down to Phuket, probably more into Feb. We're going to try and visit Myanmar, but I don't expect to spend a lot of time there and am lobbying to spend the rest of 2 weeks diving the west coast. Has anybody done Koh Chang?
Ken G
I've Got Gills

Post by Ken G »

azathoth wrote:I'm definately going to be there in late January, my yearly trip. I'll be in Pattaya for the first week for my "mental health time", might try to get some dive training in. Hope fully I'll make it down to Phuket, probably more into Feb. We're going to try and visit Myanmar, but I don't expect to spend a lot of time there and am lobbying to spend the rest of 2 weeks diving the west coast. Has anybody done Koh Chang?
I have done Koh Chang a few times. The vis can be pretty bad at some times during the year. The diving can be ok to good. I have a friend running a dive shop on the island if you decide to go.
dirtguy49
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Post by dirtguy49 »

I like the west coast side of Thailand. I have done several liveaboards with Sea Dragon out of Khao Lak, north of Phuket.

Their web site is - www.seadragondivecenter.com/

Have a look
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef »

Ken G wrote: A few of us are going in Feb for a liveaboard trip to the Similans. I cant wait!!

Using Protech for our diving needs. They have been easy to work with and are supplying our gasses, sorb etc for our rebreathers as well as twins for our oc buddies. (http://protechdivers.com/)Ken

only 160 more days!!! :angry:
Chin high, puffed chest, we step right to it
The choice is there ain't no choice but to pursue it

"Diving the gas is the easy part, not much to it, plenty of retards are using it safely. " jamieZ
azathoth
Avid Diver

Post by azathoth »

Ken G wrote:
azathoth wrote:I'm definately going to be there in late January, my yearly trip. I'll be in Pattaya for the first week for my "mental health time", might try to get some dive training in. Hope fully I'll make it down to Phuket, probably more into Feb. We're going to try and visit Myanmar, but I don't expect to spend a lot of time there and am lobbying to spend the rest of 2 weeks diving the west coast. Has anybody done Koh Chang?
I have done Koh Chang a few times. The vis can be pretty bad at some times during the year. The diving can be ok to good. I have a friend running a dive shop on the island if you decide to go.

I'm thinking maybe June. We'll have at least one non-diver with us, not sure she'll have much to do while we're out.
60south
Pelagic

Post by 60south »

Ken G wrote:One idea would be.... probably fly into Bangkok and adjust. Then hop the over night train to Chumpon. From Chumpon take the ferry to Koh Tao. From Koh Tao I would take the ferry south to Koh Phangan then to Koh Samui. Samui back to the mainland (Surat Thani) via ferry. From there a quick bus ride to Krabi. From Krabi take the ferry to Koh Phi Phi. Phi Phi to Phuket. Phuket to Similans. ... Basicaly one big circle that can be done in either direction. You could skip over half the places as well.
I've done a similar trip, in reverse. Phuket - Pattaya - Similans - Krabi - Railey Beach - Koh Pipi on the west coast, then hopping through Surat Thani and Chumpon over to Koh Tao and Koh Samui.

By far, the most exciting diving was in the Similans. I highly recommend taking a live-aboard there, if you can afford it. Diving in the Similans can be challenging; if you're a new diver then perhaps stick with the east coast of Thailand.

Koh Tao has very easy, warm diving with excellent vis. As others have said, it's a good place to get certified or just chill for a while.

glenn
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

My advice, go to Thailand have a ball, then shoot off somewhere else in the region to dive. Thailand is like Sun Valley for skiing/snowboarding: decently good diving but surrounded by exceptional diving. If you're going to go halfway around the world to a place that's just a few hour flight to the best diving on the planet, why not make the extra hop?

I've been diving off of Phuket, Krabi, Phi Phi, Pattaya in Thailand

Lembeh, Bunaken (near Manado) - Indonesia

Sipadan (off the coast of Borneo) - Malaysia

Moalboal, Dumaguete, Alona Beach - Philippines

Every single one of the places in the other countries were better than every single one of them in Thailand, by an order of magnitude. Just take a look at my photos (all done w/ point&shoot). Sipadan was the most amazing, but you can't stay on the actual island anymore (you can still dive there, taking 15 minute speedboats from a nearby island). Indonesia, composed of over 17,000 islands, has the most coastline of any country in the world, as well as one of the highest degrees of biodiversity in its waters. Philippines has just over 7,000 islands, the locals speak english and are friendly, and offers the best value for diving of anywhere I've ever been. Yet, Thailand diving is better than most Caribbean destinations and you really cannot beat what the country has to offer topside.

I'll be going back to Thailand soon for my 28th time (yes, I've been there 27 times). I also hope to dive Indonesia again (live aboard to Komodo) as well as Philippines and PNG next year.
Ken G
I've Got Gills

Post by Ken G »

Tangfish wrote:My advice, go to Thailand have a ball, then shoot off somewhere else in the region to dive. Thailand is like Sun Valley for skiing/snowboarding: decently good diving but surrounded by exceptional diving. If you're going to go halfway around the world to a place that's just a few hour flight to the best diving on the planet, why not make the extra hop?

I've been diving off of Phuket, Krabi, Phi Phi, Pattaya in Thailand

Lembeh, Bunaken (near Manado) - Indonesia

Sipadan (off the coast of Borneo) - Malaysia

Moalboal, Dumaguete, Alona Beach - Philippines

Every single one of the places in the other countries were better than every single one of them in Thailand, by an order of magnitude. Just take a look at my photos (all done w/ point&shoot). Sipadan was the most amazing, but you can't stay on the actual island anymore (you can still dive there, taking 15 minute speedboats from a nearby island). Indonesia, composed of over 17,000 islands, has the most coastline of any country in the world, as well as one of the highest degrees of biodiversity in its waters. Philippines has just over 7,000 islands, the locals speak english and are friendly, and offers the best value for diving of anywhere I've ever been. Yet, Thailand diving is better than most Caribbean destinations and you really cannot beat what the country has to offer topside.

I'll be going back to Thailand soon for my 28th time (yes, I've been there 27 times). I also hope to dive Indonesia again (live aboard to Komodo) as well as Philippines and PNG next year.
I would agree with Calvin on this. The places he listed offer some of the best diving to be had anywhere.

The one exeption to Thailand would be the Similan Islands. They supposed to be world class diving .

I will let you know in Feb!
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Ken G wrote: I would agree with Calvin on this. The places he listed offer some of the best diving to be had anywhere.

The one exeption to Thailand would be the Similan Islands. They supposed to be world class diving .

I will let you know in Feb!
And I may surprise you guys and show up!
Ken G
I've Got Gills

Post by Ken G »

4 more days......

until Burntchef, Romer Treece, and I are off to Thailand. I think I am mentally gone already. We are doing a mix of reef and wreck/tech dives as well as a liveaboard to the Similan Islands.

Have some really cool dives planned and will post a report with lots of stills and hd video asap.

Cant wait to dive into that warm sea
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

you guys will have a blast. travel safe.
Huskychemist
Dive-aholic

Post by Huskychemist »

Ken G wrote:4 more days......

until Burntchef, Romer Treece, and I are off to Thailand. I think I am mentally gone already. We are doing a mix of reef and wreck/tech dives as well as a liveaboard to the Similan Islands.

Have some really cool dives planned and will post a report with lots of stills and hd video asap.

What's your general itinerary? (In other words, where are you diving besides the Similans?) Just curious...
Happy Diving!

Lowell, aka Huskychemist

Ken G
I've Got Gills

Post by Ken G »

Huskychemist wrote:
Ken G wrote:4 more days......

What's your general itinerary? (In other words, where are you diving besides the Similans?) Just curious...

We will be based off Koh Lanta most of the trip. From there to dive Hin Muang, Hin Duang, Koh Ha, King Cruiser wreck, Phi Phi Reefs etc...as well as some wrecks we are working on lining up. We will be with our wives and plan to do reef and some deeper tech dives. From there back to Phuket and on to the live aboard to the Similans. From there Koh Bon, Koh Tachai and up to Richelieu rock. Then one more wreck dive and back to Phuket.
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef »

sitting at my desk at work, just under 2 hours left untill my 3 weeks of vacation start. i believe quagmire said it best when he said " GIGGITY GIGGITY"
Chin high, puffed chest, we step right to it
The choice is there ain't no choice but to pursue it

"Diving the gas is the easy part, not much to it, plenty of retards are using it safely. " jamieZ
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Ken G wrote:We will be based off Koh Lanta most of the trip.
i had a great time in koh lanta, right up until one of the potholes in the road snagged our rental motorcycle's front wheel and tossed us onto the ground...
Huskychemist
Dive-aholic

Post by Huskychemist »

Ken G wrote:

We will be based off Koh Lanta most of the trip. From there to dive Hin Muang, Hin Duang, Koh Ha, King Cruiser wreck, Phi Phi Reefs etc...as well as some wrecks we are working on lining up. We will be with our wives and plan to do reef and some deeper tech dives. From there back to Phuket and on to the live aboard to the Similans. From there Koh Bon, Koh Tachai and up to Richelieu rock. Then one more wreck dive and back to Phuket.

Sounds like a great trip! I've done a few of the dives you mention...King Cruiser, one off Koh Phi Phi Ley. My favorite dive in that area is Koh Dok Mai. (But I haven't been out to the Similans yet...)

Have fun in the Land of Smiles.
Happy Diving!

Lowell, aka Huskychemist

Camille
Getting To Know Folks

Post by Camille »

I would agree that there is better diving in Indonesia and the Philippines, but I did have good fun in Thailand. I would avoid going to Koh teo, (way to many divers, and bad or uneducated divers for that – damage to the reefs caused by them touching or kicking everything). I would also not recommend Pattaya both for the diving and the place itself. But if you are going to go to the east of Thailand I had a great dives in Koh Chang even in the off season in bad weather. Some of the best diving I did was in Koh Phi Phi and would go back. I didn’t make it to the Similan Islands but it’s on my list for when I make it back to Thailand.