Westport?

Post your questions (and answers) about dive excursions abroad here.
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Westport?

Post by scottsax »

Any diving around Westport? I'm going camping near there for a bachelor party this weekend, and there's going to be some other divers there. The plan is to either fish or surf, but I'd rather be underwater than above it, so maybe I can convince someone to bring gear if there's anything worth looking at.

Or should I just focus on surfing and drinking?

:partyman:
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Re: Westport?

Post by DiverDown »

Not gonna be much diving around there, unless you want to poke around the marina.
Who run barter town?
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

I have a family cabin there ... I'd concentrate on drinking and surfing ... The Jetty at Half Moon beach is where you will be surfing.. As for diving and surfing .... There can be a very dangerous Undertow there that will pull you out.. I've seen several deaths over the 25 years of going down there.. The marina would be the only place to dive , and that's pretty Nasty
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

Their is some diving out their best with a scooter. You have to watch the current carefully.

wp1.jpg
The Jetty is a good dive but can have some crazy current on it if the wind is blowing the wrong way on the south side. The north side is very current sensitive. You have to be mindful of hooks as their can be lots of fisherman. I did great with the spear gun out their on the submerged part. that is out their a long ways though 1.7 miles to the end of the submerged jetty.
as I said a scooter works great.

Half Moon bay is a shallow sand scape but I got my limit of crab the last time i was out their. It is protected but will get a rotor current going when in full tidal flow. If you learn the current and time it right you can make it do the work. again a scooter is best as it is a ways to get to deeper water.
wp2.jpg
Westhaven Point is okay, you can get crab it is mostly sand some rock here and their but you have to mind the current. Vis can be hell, high tide is the best.
wp3.jpg
The north jetty is great to dive I did some very nice drift dives on it allowing the current to carry me in then carry me back out again. Spear fishing was good. You have to mind the winds as the seas can come up. It is a half mile were the seawall is shear to the bottom. But getting out on the rocks of the seawall is a pain if the winds come up. if you drift to the end thier is usually a heavy rip on the north side of the jetty. Just go north to get out of it and you will get carried into shore. This is the surfing area on the north jetty.
Greg
Life is Short do as Much as Possible in as Short of Period of Time as Possible.
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

Yeah, I think I'm going to surf, mountain bike, drink beer, and go on a salmon charter Sunday morning. It sounds way less complicated....
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!