Need a new drysuit recomendations

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Need a new drysuit recomendations

Post by Nwbrewer » Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:17 pm

My old Diving Concepts Neo Z has finally reached the end. Every dive I'm patching a new set of pinholes, mostly next to the seems.

So what's everybody loving these days in a mid range suit? (DUI is nice, but a bit more than what I plan on spending)

I've only ever had the neoprene suit and I'm thinking about switching to a shell any thoughts one way or the other?

Thanks!
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman

Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Re: Need a new drysuit recomendations

Post by Jeff Pack » Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:32 pm

I still like my whites/aqualung, the santis are very popular.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.

CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:34 pm

deep six has a custom shell they are selling for like 1700. they look nice, not sure who is actually building them though

have not heard anything good about santi's in a long time despite their cult following. failed fabric, failed seams, crazy long repair times ugh
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.

DavidR
Just Settling In

Post by DavidR » Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:16 am

If you want to continue with back zip neoprene, I love my Apollo.

YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:57 pm

CaptnJack wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:34 pm
have not heard anything good about santi's in a long time despite their cult following. failed fabric, failed seams, crazy long repair times ugh
I've got a Santi. Now that 8 does repairs, the turn around time is great. The last repair I had took less than a week!

This is a super comfortable suit, I've never had a better fitting suit, and I had no idea how much a suit fit made until I dove this suit. Way less effort to carry my camera ahead of me and fire off shots.

The suits are definitely not as warm as Bare suits though. I don't think I could possibly dive it without my Weezle Extreme+.

And the default boots are a definite no-go for beach diving. Luckily you can upgrade to built in thicker boots for free.

For me, the main things that made me go Santi are the removable silicone seal with a bigger neck entrace that DUI. And the front zip and availability in my height. It's a pricey suit though!

Go figure, last I had a Bare, I gave up on them based on seams issues and crazy long repair times! Perhaps they're better now, I hope!

Norris
I've Got Gills

Post by Norris » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:35 pm

Ive been using this, been pretty solid
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**

Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:31 am

I'm not sure how to take this review. How often do you have it in for repair? And what repairs? pinholes? Wearing through in spots? Seems coming undone?

I know drysuits leak, and I know how to repair them (with a 14 year old neo suit I'm getting REALLY good at it), but that suit didn't experience much more that some seal issues for about the first 8 years I had it. I had one big leak in the crotch where the material is highly strained during kicking, but that was it. at like 300 dives I replaced the zipper.

I guess for me a positive is "Doesn't have structural issues" vs "local and quick repairs"

Jake
YellowEye wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:57 pm
CaptnJack wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:34 pm
I've got a Santi. Now that 8 does repairs, the turn around time is great. The last repair I had took less than a week!

This is a super comfortable suit, I've never had a better fitting suit, and I had no idea how much a suit fit made until I dove this suit. Way less effort to carry my camera ahead of me and fire off shots.

The suits are definitely not as warm as Bare suits though. I don't think I could possibly dive it without my Weezle Extreme+.

And the default boots are a definite no-go for beach diving. Luckily you can upgrade to built in thicker boots for free.

For me, the main things that made me go Santi are the removable silicone seal with a bigger neck entrace that DUI. And the front zip and availability in my height. It's a pricey suit though!

Go figure, last I had a Bare, I gave up on them based on seams issues and crazy long repair times! Perhaps they're better now, I hope!
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman

YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:43 am

Nwbrewer wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:31 am
I'm not sure how to take this review. How often do you have it in for repair? And what repairs? pinholes? Wearing through in spots? Seems coming undone?

I know drysuits leak, and I know how to repair them (with a 14 year old neo suit I'm getting REALLY good at it), but that suit didn't experience much more that some seal issues for about the first 8 years I had it. I had one big leak in the crotch where the material is highly strained during kicking, but that was it. at like 300 dives I replaced the zipper.

I guess for me a positive is "Doesn't have structural issues" vs "local and quick repairs"

Jake
Hi
In my case I had barnacle tears from diving deception pass :eek: . The zipper is now starting to go but these are standard zippers and lifetime. So thus far I think the build has been acceptable.

Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:14 pm

Ah hah! user error! Been there a few times.
YellowEye wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:43 am
Nwbrewer wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:31 am

Jake
Hi
In my case I had barnacle tears from diving deception pass :eek: . The zipper is now starting to go but these are standard zippers and lifetime. So thus far I think the build has been acceptable.

wlkerboh
Just Settling In

Post by wlkerboh » Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:46 pm

I am also in the market for a new drysuit. Does anyone have experience with ordering or diving a Seaskin Nova?

H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:18 am

I've had my Bare drysuit now for 6 years it's been a great suit , I've had to do a neck seal, and change out the boots .. but the tri lam fabric is very tough and durable .. I was very skeptical from going from a neoprene suit To a fabric tri lam... I didn't have much Faith because I thought for sure the material was going to tear or get holes... But that's not the case because this fabric is very tough and durable... I did have zipper issue but I got it fixed and replaced by the manufacturer T zip
My suit cost $1400.. I was measured and sized and the suit is built by bare to fit my body
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen