Different drysuits - which one for me?

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Re: Different drysuits - which one for me?

Post by Tom Nic »

Keep trying on suits!

The more you can do so at different shops while resisting the "you must buy NOW" portion of the Vulcan mind meld, the better equipped you'll be for your final choice.

At that point buying a used suit or one on line isn't as big an issue because you already know what that one or a similar one looks and feels like.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
2loud4u
Compulsive Diver

Post by 2loud4u »

Thank you, cardiver, I found a few topics about the suit on scuba board. Sounded like folks really liked it, a few reported "valve not dumping fast enough". I was more interested in feedback from folks diving in Puget Sound waters, like yourself. What undergarment do you wear? (Hope it's not too much of a personal question, I am still learning here lol)
FTM ~ PTB ~ EGH ~ RFB ~ KTF ~ DTRT
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

2loud4u wrote:Thank you, cardiver, I found a few topics about the suit on scuba board. Sounded like folks really liked it, a few reported "valve not dumping fast enough". I was more interested in feedback from folks diving in Puget Sound waters, like yourself. What undergarment do you wear? (Hope it's not too much of a personal question, I am still learning here lol)
The valve is a SI Tech which seems to be everyones dump valve of choice. I personally have never had a problem with it not dumping fast enough.
If you buy the suit from a shop it will come with a two piece ug and 'rock" boots. the ug is fine in the summer but I needed to add poly pro in the winter. I've since retired the ug that came with the suit and went with a one piece custom made fleece from a seemstress up in Bellingham.
You don't need to search Scubaboard for reviews on this suit. There are plenty of them here on NWDC.
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
Cold_H2O
Aquaphile

Post by Cold_H2O »

I have only had SiTech valves on my drysuits. LOVE THEM!!!!! :luv:
Won't put anything else on a suit.
Not dumping fast enough has never really been an issue. You can always push the button in the middle and get full dump speed.

Sounds like you are on the right research path. Luck for you it sounds like you can buy "off the shelf".
Keep visiting shops and trying on suits. RESIST the "YOU MUST BUY NOW" song and dance and you will do fine.
I love Whites suits. Visit Amy at AtoZ in Puyallup.

The best drysuit is one that you love and are thrilled to own.
That means it keeps you warm, adds comfort to your dives and fits your budget.

When I was first looking at drysuits I had many tell me to not get a back zipped one.. Such a pain to have to ask buddies to zip and unzip you.
I don't dive solo (I enjoy the social side of diving too much) and if I can't ask my buddy to help with my zipper I don't need to be diving with them.
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

2loud4u wrote:Thank you, cardiver, I found a few topics about the suit on scuba board. Sounded like folks really liked it, a few reported "valve not dumping fast enough". I was more interested in feedback from folks diving in Puget Sound waters, like yourself. What undergarment do you wear? (Hope it's not too much of a personal question, I am still learning here lol)
I'm not sure if the valve isn't dumping enough, or the diver is venting soon enough on the way up.

I will +1 what Cardiver mentioned about the NexGen. My wife recently acquired one, and she loves it. It wasn't too spendy, and it's fairly bulletproof. I had a NexGen before I got my D6, and I tried it on a few times, allthough it was a touch snug, but the material is pretty cool, as nothing can really stain it. It wards off petroleum (which can break down neoprene rubber, and the glue used to bind it), and is welded seem, meaning no glue is used.

She bought her NexGen from Tacoma Scuba, and I bought my D6 from them as well.

I would recommend you call ((253) 238 1754), and see if they have one or more you could try on.

D(B)
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

You will find that diving a drysuit is a learning experience. I was convinced on multiple occasions (and even today, on my bad days) that my valve wasn't dumping. But in fact, drysuit valves in general don't dump as fast as BCs do, and you have to learn to anticipate buoyancy changes and begin venting before it becomes urgently necessary.

I've used SiTech and Apeks valves, and I'll take the SiTechs hands down any day.

My husband has a Bare suit and he's been very happy with it (although his is the compressed neo). I won't say anything nice about Bare's drysuit service, though. If you need repairs, get them done elsewhere.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

lynne, I'm curious about that statement (being used as a blanket statement), as my drysuit valve dumps at an alarming rate... much faster than my BCD, and faster than other wings i've borrowed (so its not just my scubapro inflator) :)

Having seen your undergarments i'd hazard to guess that dumping speed varies with the undergarments and also the design of the suit. Your suit has a lot more torso/chest/shoulder volume to contend with purely due to zipper design than mine, so perhaps it takes a bit more time to get your valve and air at the highest point together...

Part of why I get lazy and use my drysuit for buoyancy is that it can enact VERY aggressive changes very rapidly with almost zero effort. Left over from my teaching days, this was a nice feature.

I will say that not all exhaust valves are created equal though, I did have one once a looong time ago on a Harvey's neoprene that was constantly torturing me, and i was so new that no one believed me... till begged and pleaded and finally got it changed and voila! no more issues :)
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

I found endlessly with apeks low profile exhaust valves before switching to si-tech low profile. Never heard or read of anyone complaining about the si-tech exhaust valves.

For cold, i'd recommend, DUI CF200+XM450+2xArgon preflush (so, large bottle)+drygloves. If you get icecream headaches, the 12mm neoprene otter bay hoods will help, but they tend to cause jaw fatigue.

The CF200s are also nice because they take a considerable beating. You have to replace the seals occasionally (like every other drysuit), and eventually the DUI zippers wear out, but you're not constantly chasing down a million little leaks in the material.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

ljjames wrote:lynne, I'm curious about that statement (being used as a blanket statement), as my drysuit valve dumps at an alarming rate... much faster than my BCD, and faster than other wings i've borrowed (so its not just my scubapro inflator) :)

Having seen your undergarments i'd hazard to guess that dumping speed varies with the undergarments and also the design of the suit. Your suit has a lot more torso/chest/shoulder volume to contend with purely due to zipper design than mine, so perhaps it takes a bit more time to get your valve and air at the highest point together...

Part of why I get lazy and use my drysuit for buoyancy is that it can enact VERY aggressive changes very rapidly with almost zero effort. Left over from my teaching days, this was a nice feature.

I will say that not all exhaust valves are created equal though, I did have one once a looong time ago on a Harvey's neoprene that was constantly torturing me, and i was so new that no one believed me... till begged and pleaded and finally got it changed and voila! no more issues :)
Which valve do you have Laura? I have an Apeks, and while it doesn't leak (so I'm keeping it for now), it's most definitely slower to vent than my BC. I doubt it's my undies, I just wear 4th element xerotherms, not much puffy factor.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I have to confess, I am repeating what I have been told about the valves. But it certainly seems intuitive -- when I depress the button on my wing inflator, I can empty the entire thing in a few seconds, and there's a LOT more gas in there than there ever is in my dry suit.

But I sure could be wrong. I've never seen any data as to measured rate of exhaust from the two types of valves.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

Stock DUI :) (Apeks) its really big diameter though, easily a cm or two wider overall than the ones on my counterlungs (which are also very high flow when open all the way, wide enough to do a dil flush and not have buoyancy issues due to trapped gas.

for those interested, here is a link to 'identifying your deflator' which also shows the size of the outlets in the valves.

http://www.dui-online.com/tech_drysuit_dump_valves.html
Nwbrewer wrote:
ljjames wrote:lynne, I'm curious about that statement (being used as a blanket statement), as my drysuit valve dumps at an alarming rate... much faster than my BCD, and faster than other wings i've borrowed (so its not just my scubapro inflator) :)

Which valve do you have Laura? I have an Apeks, and while it doesn't leak (so I'm keeping it for now), it's most definitely slower to vent than my BC. I doubt it's my undies, I just wear 4th element xerotherms, not much puffy factor.
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
StanKeech
Frequent Bubbler

Post by StanKeech »

Just bought the Bare Nex-gen 2009 suit. I figure its a good deal and i have the money. As well as craigslist has been turning up squat since ive started to look.
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

StanKeech wrote:Just bought the Bare Nex-gen 2009 suit. I figure its a good deal and i have the money. As well as craigslist has been turning up squat since ive started to look.
You will get years of trouble free (and dry) service out of that suit.
Enjoy!
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
2loud4u
Compulsive Diver

Post by 2loud4u »

Update.

We travelled south to visit A2Z and Tacoma Scuba, mainly thanks to great reports from here and the fact that both carried the suits I was considering (Whites Fusion and Bare respectively). I read numerous reports about incredible Whites suits and am possibly very strange, but I actually didn't like how it looked. It just seemed like the protective piece that attaches to the suit was easily poke-able? and being a new diver that I am I just felt like the first time I land on my knees, that thing is going to go.
The A2Z was a nice store, Ellen (sp?) was very friendly and helpful. Unfortunately, I just didn't care for the suit.

Tacoma Scuba was our next stop. To make a long story short - now I am a happy owner of a drysuit (well in about 2-3 weeks). Bares XCD2 Pro was my choice, I got to try one one, my exact size (ended up being Medium Tall) along with the super warm undergarment - I was absolutely roasting and actually wished I could jump in the water, lol. I went with the neoprene neck seal as it is supposed to keep my neck warmer and I am all about warming as many parts of my body as I can.

Now about the experience - I read it on here numerous times and am now a I firm believer that Tacoma Scuba is the dream Dive Shop. I didn't feel pressured at any time, if anything I felt that I was provided with wisdom and choices. The drive was insane (I live in Arlington), but the deal and customer service were at its best. Prices were VERY competitive with even online retailers (which was my original goal to go with - to save money, as I felt like loyalty to my pocket book outweighs any dive shop's sales pitch), I actually spent less at Aaron's store on drysuit, boots and undergarment even after tax.

Anyway, I know it was not short, but I am overly excited now :bounce: :clap: and will update this thread after my first dive to see if diving dry makes a difference :80sdance:

Thank you again to all of you who participated in this quest.
FTM ~ PTB ~ EGH ~ RFB ~ KTF ~ DTRT
wallyc72
Dive-aholic

Post by wallyc72 »

Glad we could help you find what you needed!