Recommendations for Tropical Fins?

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
babs13
Dive-aholic

Recommendations for Tropical Fins?

Post by babs13 »

Hello! Looking for suggestions for tropical fins. I'm thinking a smaller scubapro jet fin, or mares quattro excel. I love my jet fins, but I think they are a bit heavy for travel. Thoughts? Suggestions? :breakdance: :breakdance: :breakdance: :breakdance: :breakdance: :breakdance:
Last edited by babs13 on Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Step 1: I have a diving problem.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Re: Recommendations for Tropical Fins?

Post by Tom Nic »

I've heard of some folks thinking about OMS Slipstreams for travel, though I have no experience with them.

I LOVE my Hollis F-1's, and will definitely travel with them. Before that I used the Apollo Biofins, but if you want a lighter paddle fin the F-1's are hard to beat.

Of course you will buy a "bootie" to wear. Sea Soft makes a WONDERFUL one - they are called the Sunray . I've used them many times and my cold water fin just slips right on and works like a dream. I also have many friends who use the same one.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Well, I'll give you my definitive take on them after the trip I'm about to take, but for pool stuff, I've been using the Deep See Pulse fins. They're a plastic paddle fin, fairly stiff (absolutely stiff enough for all the kicks) and very light (and also, delightfully, very cheap!) I put spring straps on them, the kind that snap into the existing receptacles -- bought them at Bubbles Below. I've been extremely happy with them for pool use with classes, and they're going to go with me to Hawaii at the end of the month.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
lizard0924
Submariner

Post by lizard0924 »

I use my Tusa Tri-Ex fins when I dive in Bonaire. They are really light-weight for travel, and perfectly suitable for the conditions there. Plus (and I freely admit this....so go ahead haters and pile on....), they are pink/white and very cute. (And, yes, I also have a pink Tusa mask and a 3 mil Henderson wetsuit that is black with a pink hibiscus design.)

When I head for tropical waters, it is a nice change to look a bit girlier than I do up here with my industrial strength, heavy-duty, PNW diving gear. (Of course, I still use my DSS BP/W, so I still channel the PNW cool-factor. :))
Liz

www.lizsundquist.com

Holy cow! I'm the Godzilla of the underworld, apparently. ~ JenBowes
I'm going to tie my spool off on your manifold and ride you like a manatee! ~ Scottsax
Lundy will forever be known as The Guy Touching Richard's Thong. ~ Spatman
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

Before I settled on my Hollis F1s I tried the Jets and the Slipstreams. Jets just don't fit; their sizing is screwy. Slipstreams just didn't cut the mustard for either fit or control. I tried the F1 fin and that is what I'll use; until something better comes along of course. Yes, there are lighter fins, my Blades for example), but fins are so important that I'll trim a couple pounds somewhere else to get the right for me fin in my luggage.

All that said, while I'm in HI next week I'm going to try some of those cheap swim fins you can pick up in just about any store. Mainly not for weight, but for Cheap and disposable. I know they won't do the job for doubles, or dry suit and large cylinders. But for a single cylinder with a wet suit? They may work. If not I'm sure some kid will appreciate a gift.
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

I have the Deep Outdoors fins, it is the same as the Manta and is great for travel. They are extremely light wight kick quite well. Many of us are using them for travel. My turtles and other fins are all to heavy to travel with.

Scuba.com has the best price right now on them at $60.00

http://www.scuba.com/scuba-gear-20/0140 ... -Fins.html
Greg
Life is Short do as Much as Possible in as Short of Period of Time as Possible.
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

Something that not many people think of when buying fins, I have discovered, is body size and leg strength. A relatively small person diving the same kit as a much larger person is going to be able to obtain acceptable performance from a much smaller fin than the big person. Just how strong your leg muscles are also plays a role. A stronger person will as a matter of course make a given fin flex more than a weaker person.

Is this important in overall performance? Not really except that all other things being equal the larger, stronger person will need a stiffer fin and will consume more breathing gas than the smaller person.

Just one more thing to factor in when evaluating recommendations from others.
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
oregondiver
Submariner

Post by oregondiver »

I travel with my force fins when I go warmer. Just throw on a neoprene sock (not a bootie unless you wanted the sturdy bottom) and you are set!
Discussing the Whites Fusion: "Looks like you are wearing a startrek leotard with bunched-up undies..." -Airsix

"fins are like shoes....you can never have enough pairs." -Lizard0924
krisdahl
Just Settling In

Post by krisdahl »

I'm planning on ordering some Force Fins for tropical and travel. I guess they have a bit of cult following. I like that they are supposed to be very comfortable open toe, and fairly adjustable. Very lightweight (something like 2 or 3 lbs for the pair) and packable. I'm trying to decide between the original and pro.

My thinking is that, without a lot of compromise, I can use them for travel and also locally--which simply isn't an option on most 'tropical' or 'travel' fins.

When I get em and test 'em out I'll let you know.
Matt S.
Submariner

Post by Matt S. »

I needed to find a good tropical vacation fin too for Roatan last year. After a bunch of forum searches I rolled the dice on the Dive Rite fins, and I am super happy with them. They are light and stiff, perfectly adequate for frog kicking... and they come with spring straps.

They are $100 so you could find something cheaper--but maybe not with spring straps already included.

Tom, those SeaSoft booties look awesome!
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

I love my Mares Volo Power (full foot) fins.

I've also had Quattros, Atomic splits, SP Twin Speeds. The Volo Power fins seem to be the best combo of lightweight and good performing.
babs13
Dive-aholic

Post by babs13 »

thanks for the suggestions! :boucegreen: :boucegreen: :boucegreen: :boucegreen: :boucegreen: :boucegreen:
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Well, after a few dives with the Pulse fins, here's my verdict: They're superb flutter-kicking fins, okay frog-kicking fins, fine for back kicking, and they are light. They are not as stiff and don't "bite" the water the way I am accustomed to with Jets, but they are MUCH nicer to flutter kick with. If I get smaller spring straps on them, I think they'll be fine for tropical reef diving. And they save me about five pounds in the luggage.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

i suggest you paint some turtles and clown fish on your fins that you have now, then they will be tropical lol
babs13
Dive-aholic

Post by babs13 »

I got some Quattros with straps. MUCH lighter than my Jets. Phew!! Good to shave off some weight in luggage. I was totally hoping for full foot fins, but have an issue as most foot pockets don't really fit my foot so I gotta put a boot to it. I hope these work out. :breakdance: :breakdance: :breakdance: :breakdance: :breakdance: :breakdance: :breakdance: :breakdance: :breakdance: :breakdance: :breakdance: :breakdance: :breakdance: :breakdance:
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

Another vote for Force Fins. I've had paddles (Tusa), bio-fins and the FF.

The comment about stiffness vs strength/weight/power is quite relevant. My wife (about the same size) got Med. Tusa paddles and I got large. Hers are decent and flexible, mine are boards and I hate 'em.

So I got the FF after demoing a bunch. They are bar none the most maneuverable fin I've ever owned. Back up well. Efficiency is OK. A bit lame for snorkeling with the curved shape-they tend to come out of the water at the surface on the back kick. You get used to it. They fit in carry-on, Wahoo.

Got a new drysuit and the FF wouldn't fit the boots. Borrowed some bio-fins. Hated them. Got talked into staying with them and after a half dozen outings got them figured out so continue to use them as the power and efficiency beat the FF for NW diving but they'd be pigs in the tropics and I'd be so foot heavy I'd need 5# of weight on my head to get trim.

Really like the short size and maneuverability.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
Ken G
I've Got Gills

Post by Ken G »

Im toying with the idea of APS Mantarays for warm water trips. They seem to be a great travel fin but I need to try them out before I buy. The Hollis look really good too but possibly a bit large.

Anyone have any experience with them?