Atomic ARC mask...my review

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Atomic ARC mask...my review

Post by Pinkpadigal »

I mentioned that we got these masks in and I took one up to Sechelt last weekend. Here is a little about them...

What is ARC lens technology?

Anti-Reflective Coatings or “ARC” is a multi-layer metal oxide coating process applied to both sides of the Ultra-Clear lenses. This allows more light to enter the mask by reducing light reflections off the inside and outside surface of the lens. The metal oxide coating is only a few microns thick.

So, in layman terms, it allows you to see more at night and in limited visibilty. I wasn't sure what to expect but...on the day dives, shallower than 70 feet, I could not tell the difference between my regular Atomic Subframe and the ARC mask. However, on the night dives and the deeper dives...wow. It was easier to focus on items for pictures and I could see "farther". But, this was British Columbia, with good vis. I took it diving on Tuesday night at Redondo and I was amazed at the difference. It seemed like my light worked better.

If you don't dive at night or stay above 70 feet, this mask is not worth the $149...just get the regular Atomic Subframe. If you dive at night, take a lot of photos or dive deeper, you will LOVE this mask.

If anyone wants to try this mask out, let me know.
Amy Rhodes
PADI Master Instructor #183890
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
http://www.a2zscuba.com
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

That's very cool Amy. I tried on the frameless Atomic mask and it didn't fit right (forehead touched the glass sometimes), but I can't remember if the subframe fit or not. It sounds like they really work well from your account.

The other mask I once looked into is the HydroOptix mask, but I eventually decided that I didn't want to have to wear contact lenses to use them, even though being able to see that much more does seem very appealing.