Reef Master DC 500 Digital Camera problems

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Octoloco
Extreme Diving Machine

Reef Master DC 500 Digital Camera problems

Post by Octoloco »

I recently upgraded to the Reef Master DC 500 but am having all kinds of problems.
When I opened the camera housing upon receiving the new camera, I found only 3 little rubber stoppers (I'm guessing they were to go on the internal side of the housing buttons but of course didn't have enough for all the buttons, and typically I've found that the rubber stoppers were in place upon arrival).
On vacation, more problems presented themselves: At depth the camera freezes; it won't shut off, change modes, or take pictures - the screen is frozen on the last photo taken.
Now the dive shop is telling me that the problem is that the camera doesn't work well with a 1 gig memory card.
My question to you all is: has anyone else had these same experiences or is the dive shop feeding me a line?
Thanks for any help you can provide.
diver-dad
Compulsive Diver

Re: Reef Master DC 500 Digital Camera problems

Post by diver-dad »

Octoloco wrote:...... the dive shop is telling me that the problem is that the camera doesn't work well with a 1 gig memory card.
My question to you all is: has anyone else had these same experiences or is the dive shop feeding me a line?...
While I have no experience with this camera, it seems to me that if it were as simple as the memory card, the same problems would occur above water as well as below.

You may also want to look at: http://www.sealife-cameras.com/service/index.html

Good luck!
- DD

"Always do right -- this will gratify some and astonish the rest."
-Mark Twain
coachrenz
Aquanaut

Firm Ware

Post by coachrenz »

I don't have one, but I have been reading about it on some other boards and it seems that the firm ware is the important thing. Apparently you need to download the newest version of the firmware and install it on the camera.

This seems to have cleared up similar problems that you are describing for other people.

Tim
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Re: Firm Ware

Post by Burntchef »

[quote="coachrenz"]I don't have one, but I have been reading about it on some other boards and it seems that the firm ware is the important thing. Apparently you need to download the newest version of the firmware and install it on the camera.

This seems to have cleared up similar problems that you are describing for other people.
i would try coachrenzs advice first, i have a hard time believing that your 1 gig card is giving it any trouble at all, 1 gig is pretty big
Chin high, puffed chest, we step right to it
The choice is there ain't no choice but to pursue it

"Diving the gas is the easy part, not much to it, plenty of retards are using it safely. " jamieZ
Seaslave
Compulsive Diver

Post by Seaslave »

I also use the DC500 and had a similiar problem. I took it to the UWS in Everett and the tried the Firmware thing which did not work. They also replaced the battery with no help. Ultimately it was sent back to the manufacturer and replaced with a brand new one. The manufacturer said it had to do with some gears or something that would not allow it to advance to the next frame /stage in the shooting or something???

I also use a 1 gig card and have know problems with it. The camera worked great before the malfuction and has been flawless since its return with the same memory card. I'll be using it on my trip to Mexico tomorrow.

Mathue
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

dudes I hate to say this but you need a new camera. i have seen this problem with the dc500 3 times working at UWS and everytime it is sent back to sealife the customer gets a new camera they are just poorly designed cameras. one guy had his freeze on a 600 dollar guided shark dive, boy was he pissed. #-o
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR
ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE
STAIRS.
Diver_C
Amphibian

Post by Diver_C »

The three little rubber bumpers fit on the three middle, raised buttons on the housing.

I have had my camera freeze up only once, at that was at the surface, after a dive. I thought it very strange. I have had my camera since May, and have shot thousands of shots. I also use a 1 gig card, albeit a fast one, 133x. Make sure you have a fast writing card too. The freeze occurred months ago, and with a different software version. The current software version is 1.12PIE, which came out in September, so make sure you have that. Also, try formating your card once in awhile. These cameras are simply small computers (no gears inside), and should be treated gently.

Hopefully this helps, and you don't have any further problems.

Rich
Octoloco
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Octoloco »

Thanks to everyone who responded to my plea for help on this camera. UWS seems to take no interest in this issue so it looks like I'll have to push the issue with them, but now I can go in armed with information.

In the past Reef Master has been absolutely great responding to problems that arise with their product, so if necessary I can call them.

Thanks again for the help.
Diver_C
Amphibian

Post by Diver_C »

I'd bypass spending anymore time dealing with UWS. Doubt there is anything they can do, because the issue is with Sealife. Yes, Sealife does have wonderful service. If the camera is defective, there really is no fix other than replacement. If the camera freezes anymore times, I would send it back to Sealife for service. It is probably something wrong with the motherboard, which is the brain of the camera.
Dolphin_Diver
Frequent Bubbler

camera

Post by Dolphin_Diver »

hello, well jason has a 2 gig card in our camera and that part there was no problem. i dont no what that guy is talking about. hope you get it resolved.