Hollis H-160 vs Dive xtra Sierra???

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Re: Hollis H-160 vs Dive xtra Sierra???

Post by CaptnJack »

Dashrynn wrote:After reading more data on either one I would say the sierra is more efficient...if it had the ahs like the n19 then it would be able to run atleast .7 more miles. according to data I found.

heres where i found out all the data. http://www.silent-submersion.com/Produc ... a_V1.1.pdf
Stop using various spun marketing data and look at the vastly more objective 2009 Tahoe test if you want to make a "scientific" decision. The N-19 and Sierra's are both fine scooters, although you accidentally bought a Hollis :ballandchain:
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

Mattleycrue76 wrote:
Dashrynn wrote:After reading more data on either one I would say the sierra is more efficient...if it had the ahs like the n19 then it would be able to run atleast .7 more miles. according to data I found.

heres where i found out all the data. http://www.silent-submersion.com/Produc ... a_V1.1.pdf

The paper in the link refers to the "older" 13ah Sierra batteries vs the "newer 16ah ones. This alone bridges about half the gap in capacity vs the N19.
Then my good man i have no idea, my resources have lied to me. But after reading all the specs on all the scooters so far, i wonder how its pushing 60lbs of torque and a 3 mile range.
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

Dashrynn wrote: But after reading all the specs on all the scooters so far, i wonder how its pushing 60lbs of torque and a 3 mile range.
aren't we all?

BTW I still can't find any info on the capacity of the Hollis Battery.
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

CaptnJack wrote:

Stop using various spun marketing data and look at the vastly more objective 2009 Tahoe test if you want to make a "scientific" decision. The N-19 and Sierra's are both fine scooters, although you accidentally bought a Hollis :ballandchain:
i looked on the tbt and found that they retracted all data for the time being to add in another scooter, if you have that or a link to it i would be greatly appreciated.

oh and heres a link to the manual that was posted in 08 according to google, in here on page 14 it shows the specs.

http://www.hollisgear.com/pdf/manual_ve ... 20-r01.pdf
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Dashrynn wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:

i looked on the tbt and found that they retracted all data for the time being to add in another scooter, if you have that or a link to it i would be greatly appreciated.

oh and heres a link to the manual that was posted in 08 according to google, in here on page 14 it shows the specs.

Yes they are adding back the UV-26 because the one they first tested was a UV26 in body only. The motor was from a Mako. Because Rodney has never provided sample scooters because he had zero desire to participate in James' tests. Then bitched and moaned about the results being non-representative.

Hollis has never participated anyway so who cares, its not relevant to the scooter you bought cause it was cheap(er).

The Hollis has the same battery capacity and chemistry as the Sierra X (16Ah, NiMH), just with more weight. For the same diver I would expect similar speed and range as the Sierra. Nothing even close to the Magnus or Cuda.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

Dashrynn wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:

Hm well looking at the specs provided in that manual it would appear that the Hollis H160 uses a 16aH NiMh battery - just like the Sierra. It claims a top speed of 3mph which is probably achievable with a wetsuit and snorkle.

They claim a burn time at top speed of 1 hr.

Think about it for a minute - why would a scooter with similar hydrodynamic properties and the same battery, prop, and shroud go 20 min longer while (supposedly) providing almost twice as much thrust just because it uses a brushed vs a brushless motor?

What I take away from this is the following: Most companies, not just in diving, inflate the capabilities of their product. We know this as "marketing"

Dive Xtras has ironically sort of become a victim of their own honesty since they rely on objective testing under real world conditions (Tahoe benchmark) to provide their spec numbers. If you look at both companies claims side by side and assume the same fudge factor then the Hollis clearly looks superior. Thing is though, in my experience the X number seem to be spot on in the conditions we dive in which is more that can be said for other manufactures.

BTW the Hollis scoot looks nice, and I'd love to give one a spin to compare, I'm just not buying the numbers hook line and sinker.
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

Mattleycrue76 wrote:
BTW the Hollis scoot looks nice, and I'd love to give one a spin to compare, I'm just not buying the numbers hook line and sinker.
I concur, doesnt stop my curiousity though
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Mattleycrue76 wrote:
Dashrynn wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:

Hm well looking at the specs provided in that manual it would appear that the Hollis H160 uses a 16aH NiMh battery - just like the Sierra. It claims a top speed of 3mph which is probably achievable with a wetsuit and snorkle.

They claim a burn time at top speed of 1 hr.

Think about it for a minute - why would a scooter with similar hydrodynamic properties and the same battery, prop, and shroud go 20 min longer while (supposedly) providing almost twice as much thrust just because it uses a brushed vs a brushless motor?

What I take away from this is the following: Most companies, not just in diving, inflate the capabilities of their product. We know this as "marketing"

Dive Xtras has ironically sort of become a victim of their own honesty since they rely on objective testing under real world conditions (Tahoe benchmark) to provide their spec numbers. If you look at both companies claims side by side and assume the same fudge factor then the Hollis clearly looks superior. Thing is though, in my experience the X number seem to be spot on in the conditions we dive in which is more that can be said for other manufactures.

There's no place in Dash's threads for critical thinking, what are you trying to do here?
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Mattleycrue76 wrote:Think about it for a minute - why would a scooter with similar hydrodynamic properties and the same battery, prop, and shroud go 20 min longer while (supposedly) providing almost twice as much thrust just because it uses a brushed vs a brushless motor?
It's simple physics. You can explain it with the formula E=MC^2, where E is energy, M is mass, and C is delusion.
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Raydar
Dive-aholic

Post by Raydar »

airsix wrote: It's simple physics. You can explain it with the formula E=MC^2, where E is energy, M is mass, and C is delusion.
:rofl:
Purveyor of crack ;)
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

airsix wrote:
Mattleycrue76 wrote:Think about it for a minute - why would a scooter with similar hydrodynamic properties and the same battery, prop, and shroud go 20 min longer while (supposedly) providing almost twice as much thrust just because it uses a brushed vs a brushless motor?
It's simple physics. You can explain it with the formula E=MC^2, where E is energy, M is mass, and C is delusion.
...and the "C" being squared seems accurate too.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Post by pensacoladiver »

Dashrynn wrote:
Mattleycrue76 wrote:
You are way too young to be using "concur", "agree" is much more suitable for you.
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

pensacoladiver wrote:
Dashrynn wrote:
Mattleycrue76 wrote:
You are way too young to be using "concur", "agree" is much more suitable for you.
My apologies, do you want me to stop saying thou, shalt and other biblical word that you may have partaken in creating?
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Dashrynn wrote:
pensacoladiver wrote:
Dashrynn wrote:
Mattleycrue76 wrote:
My apologies, do you want me to stop saying thou, shalt and other biblical word that you may have partaken in creating?
Stop saying...?
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Dashrynn wrote:
pensacoladiver wrote:
Dashrynn wrote:
Mattleycrue76 wrote:
Wooo wooo, yooouz gun all edumacated on us homies now eh?
Paulicarp
Aquanaut

Post by Paulicarp »

CaptnJack wrote:Wooo wooo, yooouz gun all edumacated on us homies now eh?
Apparently Dash is the MacGyver of edumacatin' too. :dontknow: Who would have guessed?
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

Paulicarp wrote:
Apparently Dash is the MacGyver of edumacatin' too. :dontknow: Who would have guessed?
dont be hatin you kno u weshed u whas col to!
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Post by pensacoladiver »

Paulicarp wrote:
Haha. McGuyver... just making stuff up as you go along.
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Dashrynn wrote:... and other biblical word that you may have partaken in creating?
Now come on guys. Maybe it was just beginners luck, but that is a shot worthy of a few points. :laughing3:
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
no excuses
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by no excuses »

Mattleycrue76 wrote: BTW the Hollis scoot looks nice, and I'd love to give one a spin to compare, I'm just not buying the numbers hook line and sinker.
Looks like Dash bought them hook, line and by accident :rofl:
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

no excuses wrote:
Mattleycrue76 wrote: BTW the Hollis scoot looks nice, and I'd love to give one a spin to compare, I'm just not buying the numbers hook line and sinker.
Looks like Dash bought them hook, line and by accident :rofl:
Yeah I mean whoda thunk "buy it now" meant like actually buying it???
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

I'm sure ill look back on that day and say "best accident that ever happened to me" and no! That's not what she said!