pumping air $$

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
no excuses
Extreme Diving Machine

pumping air $$

Post by no excuses »

Had a few people wondering how cheap u could get into a system, well got my rixx compressor running and pumping air, so far it has not been to bad $$ I am into the system for just over $1300. My compressor could use a rebuild ($500 or soo) as it is not pumping at 6cfm but more in the 3.5 cfm range. It does not bother me at this rate as I just let it pump and come check on it while I do other chores. If it gets worse then I will rebuild it down the road. I really enjoy not having to hurry back to the dive shop while diving and its nice to get to the dive site and every one is complaining about low hp fills and well my fill guy gets them up to snuff (or I will have to talk to him :boxer: )lol. Its over a hour for me to get to the closest shop so it is a pain for me to get there. Picked up the tower off ebay, I could saved a couple scuba units with a but I really wanted the bigger tower. Right now I am using the the yoke fitting that came with the compressor but will be swapping over to a din fitting later on.

$500 for compressor
$585 for 32" filter tower
$50 for filter
$200 for misc supplies, gauges, fittings, bp reg etc
Attachments
IMG_0862.JPG
backpressure set at 2800psi
backpressure set at 2800psi
cobwebs cost extra
cobwebs cost extra
dieseldude
Extreme Diving Machine

Re: pumping air $$

Post by dieseldude »

where did you find a compressor for $500? I you think it needs a rebuild, I'd recomend doing it now. I've seen 1st hand what happens when you wait too long. Trust me, it's cheaper to do now.
MJ
" What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger"
Jeff Kruse
Compulsive Diver

Post by Jeff Kruse »

Looks great. Just keep it lubed (Tierods and thrustplate) and have extra belts around. These things eat belts if you only use one. (some have dual belts)

Mine has pumped at just over 3CFM for a few years now. It's either the second stage valves or the third. I am not worried about it. Still pumps to 4K every time. Over 400 hours on the third stage! :partydance:
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

Ask 4ster what happens if you wait too long to do a rebuild on a rixx. It can get very costly if things get too loose. I would go though it then you know you have several years of not having to worry about it.
Greg
Life is Short do as Much as Possible in as Short of Period of Time as Possible.
Jeff Kruse
Compulsive Diver

Post by Jeff Kruse »

What is getting loose? :eek: Nothing should be loose.

When valves are worn or dirty nothing bad happens.

I need to replace the orings on my third stage. One just blew so the head is hissing. This happens every couple hundred hours. It's a PITA because my 3rd stage head is an old style and it's almost impossible to get the valve assembly out. I have to repeatedly slam it on a block of wood and that hurts my hand. As a last resort I use the blowtorch to heat the head quickly then try slamming it again. I wish I had the head with a bolt in it that pushed the valve assembly out. Just make sure you get the correct type of orings to use!