Rebreathers.....

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Jaksonbrown
Amphibian

Rebreathers.....

Post by Jaksonbrown »

Ok.. So im getting sick of packing lots of tanks around on the boat constantly going back to the dive shops for air...and I just heard that there is a rebreather on the market that can be bought new for under $7000.00??
Is a rebreather the solution? Do most of you rebreather dudes and dudettes just dive your rebreathers once you get dialed into them and give up your tanks permanently?

I have been considering buying a compressor, but then I heard that rebreathers could be bought more reasonably than I thought.....

Anybody have any links for these new rebreathers?
WASP7000
Dive-aholic

Re: Rebreathers.....

Post by WASP7000 »

I saw one on craigslist last week for like $3700...If I'd have known you were interested, I would have sent you the link.
WASP7000
Dive-aholic

Post by WASP7000 »

Nevermind, here it is!

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/spo/1759546692.html

Inspiration Classic Rebreather. $3800

For all the details and pictures please click here: http://www.extremeunderwater.com/inspiration.html
Serious inquiries only please.

(360) 936-7955

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Jaksonbrown wrote:Ok.. So im getting sick of packing lots of tanks around on the boat constantly going back to the dive shops for air...and I just heard that there is a rebreather on the market that can be bought new for under $7000.00??
Is a rebreather the solution? Do most of you rebreather dudes and dudettes just dive your rebreathers once you get dialed into them and give up your tanks permanently?

I have been considering buying a compressor, but then I heard that rebreathers could be bought more reasonably than I thought.....

Dude, sorry but you are a poor candidate for a CCR IMHO. You need to be absolutely meticulous with any RB since its pretty much continuously trying to kill you with either too much O2, not enough O2, or CO2 - and you are not a meticulous anal retentive about gear kinda guy.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Jaksonbrown wrote:Ok.. So im getting sick of packing lots of tanks around on the boat constantly going back to the dive shops for air...and I just heard that there is a rebreather on the market that can be bought new for under $7000.00??

I haven't dived with Open-Circuit tanks since I bought my rebreather. There are actually several CCRs on the market that can be purchased new for under $7,000.00. For example, you can get a new KISS Sport, complete, designed for dives down to 150 FSW, for under $4,000.00.

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Jaksonbrown
Amphibian

Post by Jaksonbrown »

CaptnJack wrote:

Dude, sorry but you are a poor candidate for a CCR IMHO. You need to be absolutely meticulous with any RB since its pretty much continuously trying to kill you with either too much O2, not enough O2, or CO2 - and you are not a meticulous anal retentive about gear kinda guy.
Thanks for your imput Richard,.. but seeing as we have only been around each other once and have never been in the water together.. how would you come to that conclusion? You dont know me from Adam.
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

Corry give me a call and lets have a drink and we can talk about the different units and what benefits and drawbacks are. Are you in your office today scotch sounds good Fred's?
Greg
Life is Short do as Much as Possible in as Short of Period of Time as Possible.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Jaksonbrown wrote:Anybody have any links for these new rebreathers?

i highly recommend mel's book. it gave me a great overview of ccrs in general, and the differences between the manufacturers' specific units.

http://www.ccrsimplified.com/
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Or, even better, attend Mel's Rebreather Experience: http://www.nwdiveclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=12164
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

Jaksonbrown
Amphibian

Post by Jaksonbrown »

John Rawlings wrote:Or, even better, attend Mel's Rebreather Experience: http://www.nwdiveclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=12164

Nice.... I emailed Curt... thanks for the heads up John!
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

John Rawlings wrote:Or, even better, attend Mel's Rebreather Experience: http://www.nwdiveclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=12164

Yep. Also, fwiw, the Euro/USD exchange rate is favorable right now- and a new Revo can be had for around 5500$.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Jaksonbrown wrote:

Nice.... I emailed Curt... thanks for the heads up John!
Just so that you know - Curt's over in the Red Sea right now, so he may not be able to respond right away....

H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

i think after you Pass Mel's class...anyone can use a rebreather, Because Mel will drive it into your head and she is tough on you learning every inch, piece, and funtions of your Rebreather ... inside and out ..
Last edited by H20doctor on Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

I guess... I don't know a bunch about rebreathers... and I've never met Cory... but not wanting to haul and fill tanks doesn't sound like a really good reason to start adding major complexity to your recreational diving.

I say all that being very interested in the CCR world... but given how quickly and easily one can kill you I don't take the idea of learning how to use one very lightly. I would hope anyone would approach the possibility of buying with as much respect and fear as possible.

-Eric
"I used to do this for fun, but now, I do it for nothing" -Not Joshua Smith

:eric: Hawaiian Seamonkey Blog
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

Hopefully doing the Rebreather Experience will help shed some light on whether it's for you.

Now if we could just get Joe to try one we could could put these manufacurers claims of "foolproof rebreathers" to the test :neener:
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

So this is what I'm wondering.....if cory can't dive a breather because he isn't anal enough then why do people say all the timeto take a class but at the same time basically call you stupid? Also from what I have seen lights going off in anyones face will grab their attention....

Before I started diving I was the care free guy who didn't give a rats a$$, now diving is turning me into an anal, picky and set on a perfect way kind of guy.....and its getting worse...now if I can change then why can't cory???
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

i heard a rumor that cory actually has the most immaculately maintained scooter in the northwest...

he may in fact be a fine candidate for a ccr, i dont thinks its our place to judge...

so, on that note, if you (cory) ever want to take a look at the meg (in addition to mels ccr experience) i'd be happy to walk you through a breakdown & setup :)
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Dashrynn wrote: Before I started diving I was the care free guy who didn't give a rats a$$, now diving is turning me into an anal, picky and set on a perfect way kind of guy.....and its getting worse...
I'll probably pay for this comparison, but that kinda sounds like Joe.

On topic, I watched Josh and John both fussing with their RB's at the Hideaway and it would be a stretch for me to exhibit the same care and patience in maintenance of their......uh, the units......
ORDiver
Aquanaut

Post by ORDiver »

Pez7378 wrote:On topic, I watched Josh and John both fussing with their RB's at the Hideaway and it would be a stretch for me to exhibit the same care and patience in maintenance of their......uh, the units......
Why would you be performing uncareful maintenance on Josh and John's units? Were you referring to how you would maintain your own unit?
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

ORDiver wrote:
Pez7378 wrote:On topic, I watched Josh and John both fussing with their RB's at the Hideaway and it would be a stretch for me to exhibit the same care and patience in maintenance of their......uh, the units......
Why would you be performing uncareful maintenance on Josh and John's units? Were you referring to how you would maintain your own unit?

Crap! :uh: I mean, it would be a stretch, for me to exhibit the same care in maintaining my own "ReBreather"..........
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Pez7378 wrote:
Dashrynn wrote: Before I started diving I was the care free guy who didn't give a rats a$$, now diving is turning me into an anal, picky and set on a perfect way kind of guy.....and its getting worse...
I'll probably pay for this comparison, but that kinda sounds like Joe.

On topic, I watched Josh and John both fussing with their RB's at the Hideaway and it would be a stretch for me to exhibit the same care and patience in maintenance of their......uh, the units......

It's both simpler, and more complicated, than it looks. At their core, RBs are very simple machines. I understand how they work very well. Whereas, I'm still pretty fuzzy on how an OC first stage works- there's a bunch of little sprigs and o rings and stuff, and somehow they give you gas even when you go deeper....

Anyway, I can take my completely disassembled Meg and do a good, thorough, ready-to-dive-any-depth-I want-to, build on it in about an hour- 45 minutes is typical. What I'm saying here is that it ain't rocket science. Staying on top of maintenance and being vigilant while you dive does require a higher level of attention than OC, but it's not complicated, nor is it a gigantic amount of work. And, yes- statistically, they are more dangerous than OC. On average, world wide, about one CCR diver a month dies, and we're usually never able to determine exactly what happened.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Jaksonbrown
Amphibian

Post by Jaksonbrown »

ljjames wrote:i heard a rumor that cory actually has the most immaculately maintained scooter in the northwest...

he may in fact be a fine candidate for a ccr, i dont thinks its our place to judge...

so, on that note, if you (cory) ever want to take a look at the meg (in addition to mels ccr experience) i'd be happy to walk you through a breakdown & setup :)

Thank you Laura...

I have signed up for Mels class and will be purchasing a CCR soon enough... unless I absolutly hate the class,... which I doubt.

On a side note... Richard making that kind of statement just proves the old saying.....
If at first you assume,.. all you succeed in doing is make yourself into an ASS!!!
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Jaksonbrown wrote:
ljjames wrote:i heard a rumor that cory actually has the most immaculately maintained scooter in the northwest...

Thank you Laura...

I have signed up for Mels class and will be purchasing a CCR soon enough... unless I absolutly hate the class,... which I doubt.

On a side note... Richard making that kind of statement just proves the old saying.....
If at first you assume,.. all you succeed in doing is make yourself into an ASS!!!
Dibs on Corey's OC gear!
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Nwbrewer wrote:
Jaksonbrown wrote:

Thank you Laura...

Dibs on Corey's OC gear!
Dibs on his boat!
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Jaksonbrown
Amphibian

Post by Jaksonbrown »

CaptnJack wrote:
Nwbrewer wrote:
Jaksonbrown wrote:

Thank you Laura...

Dibs on Corey's OC gear!
Dibs on his boat!

God your an ass Richard....