Rebreathers.....

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
User avatar
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills
Posts: 10228
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:32 pm

Re: Rebreathers.....

Post by Joshua Smith » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:46 am

Jaksonbrown wrote:Perhaps some rebreather owners would like to give their opinions on this subject??



Sure. CCRs are orders of magnitude more dangerous than OC, no matter how you look at it. I dive one because I'm willing to accept a high degree of personal responsibility for maintaining my own gear in exchange for the main benefit a CCR offers- virtually unlimited breathing gas at any depth.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."

Geek
Pelagic
Posts: 945
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: Rebreathers.....

Post by Geek » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:36 am

I'm late to this party but....

If Cory can afford it, good for him, to those of you that feel like he's flaunting his wealth, get over your self, work harder, take chances.... nobody ever got to that posistion by luck no matter what anyone thinks..

And Richard started out this thread by kinda being an A$$ so I think Cory's response was thought out and measured :angelblue:

Carry on

:popcorn:
If I'm killed by the questions like a cancer,
Then I'll be buried in the silence of the answer.


http://www.tacomacomputersolutions.com


Life isn't like a box of chocolate's, life is like a box of chocolate and horse bisket's and no matter which one you get you have to keep on chewing...

User avatar
Jaksonbrown
Amphibian
Posts: 846
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:58 pm

Re: Rebreathers.....

Post by Jaksonbrown » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:35 am

spatman wrote:
Jaksonbrown wrote:Im sure there are those that would argue that they are indeed quite safe, if not more safe, when properly maintained and serviced by educated individuals.


safer than OC? everything i've read says the opposite. can you cite sources for that claim?


I said,... "im sure there are those that would argue" Not a "source" and I also said, " when properly maintained and serviced by educated individuals"

Perhaps some rebreather owners would like to give their opinions on this subject??

Geek
Pelagic
Posts: 945
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: Rebreathers.....

Post by Geek » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:29 am

Sockmonkey wrote:
Buster wrote:I agree with Dashrynn here.


How to squelch your credibility 101.

-Eric


Someday, when I'm all grow'd up, I want to be able to come up with one liners like you :angelblue:

:notworthy:
If I'm killed by the questions like a cancer,
Then I'll be buried in the silence of the answer.


http://www.tacomacomputersolutions.com


Life isn't like a box of chocolate's, life is like a box of chocolate and horse bisket's and no matter which one you get you have to keep on chewing...

User avatar
spatman
I've Got Gills
Posts: 10881
Joined: Wed May 30, 2007 7:06 am

Re: Rebreathers.....

Post by spatman » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:26 am

Jaksonbrown wrote:Im sure there are those that would argue that they are indeed quite safe, if not more safe, when properly maintained and serviced by educated individuals.


safer than OC? everything i've read says the opposite. can you cite sources for that claim?
Image

User avatar
Jaksonbrown
Amphibian
Posts: 846
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:58 pm

Re: Rebreathers.....

Post by Jaksonbrown » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:22 am

Jeff Kruse wrote:My 2 cents.

You shouldn’t be getting a rebreather because you don’t want to haul extra tanks on the boat.

Rebreathers are far more dangerous than OC. If you can reasonably do it on OC then you don’t use a RB.

And Laura’s last post was right on.


Hey Jeff,...

Why not? Im sure there are those that would argue that they are indeed quite safe, if not more safe, when properly maintained and serviced by educated individuals.
Other reasons besides not liking to haul 10 tanks for a weekend of diving onboard a boat would also include
Better deco options
longer dive times
less weight
less equipment needed on deeper dives
No out of air clock ticking...
quiet diving
photography
wildlife viewing
etc, etc,...

Most of all, I am excited by the technology. It facinates me.

I guess my biggest point is, we all have our own reasons for switching to CCR. As long as we are properly trained, educated and responsible, why should our reasoning why we want to do it matter????

Jeff Kruse
Compulsive Diver
Posts: 316
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:41 am

Re: Rebreathers.....

Post by Jeff Kruse » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:09 am

My 2 cents.

You shouldn’t be getting a rebreather because you don’t want to haul extra tanks on the boat.

Rebreathers are far more dangerous than OC. If you can reasonably do it on OC then you don’t use a RB.

And Laura’s last post was right on.

User avatar
Jaksonbrown
Amphibian
Posts: 846
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:58 pm

Re: Rebreathers.....

Post by Jaksonbrown » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:38 am

Sheeeesh folks...

Im not flaunting my wealth around, as in fact.. im not wealthy. Richard was making several statements about me personally based upon no information about me whatsoever,(remember,. I have only met him once and we might have exchanged 3 sentences) including the assumption that I am not "anal" about my possessions, which in my mind means Im what,... a slob, a bum, reckless, what?? And he has formed this opinion based on??? Has he ever seen my home? My dive "shop/garage" ... What??? Then he goes on to insinuate that if I get a rebreather, Im gonna Kill myself with his "I got dibs on his boat" smart ass comment.. Which means im .. stupid, reckless, undeducated? Then he goes on to insinuate that everything I get I break?? or get rid of? or.....???? with his 3 boats, 3 wives, 2 motors.. etc... dumb ass post....

My reply was sarcasm, period.... and he deserved it..

And Dash... for craps sake... I grew up as a dirt poor farm kid of a single parent household. I have been self employeed since I was 18. I have failed more times than I can count and been right back there poor as dirt.. even filing for bankruptsy twice! In my pursuits I have made a fortune, had it taken from me due to an accident an employee had,.as a result, I lost my home, cars, boats, bikes, etc. due to this accident that was not my fault... and had to start over again at 35 from nothing..literally homless..

If anyone can gleen anything from my life, for anyone who actually cares to actually get to know me, is that its never too late to start over, to pick yourself up and go on.......but flaunting my wealth... give me a break....

And im definatly OLD... its not the years boys and girls.... its the MILES.... :rawlings:

User avatar
April
Dive-aholic
Posts: 272
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:15 am

Re: Rebreathers.....

Post by April » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:00 am

Ok I'm late to this thread but I have a couple of things to say....

Buster: pensacola is right, Cory is an awesome guy and that was not the point of his post... you will realize this if you ever get a chance to meet him.

Dash: CHILL!!! Let's go scootering.


The end.
April

User avatar
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills
Posts: 1350
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:00 pm

Re: Rebreathers.....

Post by pensacoladiver » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:40 am

Dashrynn wrote:But he didn't and that wasn't the point.


How do you know he didn't? Have you had a sit down with Cory about his finances?

What was your point?

User avatar
H20doctor
I've Got Gills
Posts: 4020
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:13 pm

Re: Rebreathers.....

Post by H20doctor » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:19 am

Kudo's Laura ... And you too Pensacola . . .
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen

User avatar
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills
Posts: 1873
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:24 am

Re: Rebreathers.....

Post by Dashrynn » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:10 am

But he didn't and that wasn't the point.

User avatar
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills
Posts: 1350
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:00 pm

Re: Rebreathers.....

Post by pensacoladiver » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:41 pm

Dashrynn wrote:Didn't know credit cards were part of being wealthy.


To someone who wants a scooter but can not afford one, either by cash OR a credit card payment, the point of how you acquired yours is moot. The simple fact is YOU have one and THEY dont.

Again, I ask, does that mean you are flaunting your lifestyle.

What if you found out Cory paid for all his possessions with credit cards. Does that then change the outlook or the argument?

User avatar
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills
Posts: 1873
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:24 am

Re: Rebreathers.....

Post by Dashrynn » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:33 pm

Didn't know credit cards were part of being wealthy.

User avatar
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills
Posts: 1350
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:00 pm

Re: Rebreathers.....

Post by pensacoladiver » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:20 pm

ljjames wrote:good post.

I got an email today from a 16 year old who got hooked on diving 2 years ago in his jr. cert or whatever. He can't buy a drysuit yet because he's still growing. He's saving his allowance and newspaper route money or whatever to buy a scooter someday. he's got dreams of wreck diving with a CUDA. So he does what he can, does shore dives in crappy borrowed, rented or thrift store gear because that is all he can get....

I'm sure he'd be impressed and a bit jealous of anyone who could afford a Hollis/X/Gavin/Halcyon/SUEX/Mako used or new.

instead of looking at someone who can afford the stuff with vitriol, he instead looks up to them and is interested in how he can someday have the same opportunities.

i'd love to not be a bit worried about money all the time, part of that is genetics, part of it is making a life choice that brings me less money but more freedom... but i sure as heck don't hold it against any of you who have it, that would just be damn silly!! (and maybe if I am even a bit pleasant i might get to go out on one of the rich folks boats!!!) *grin*


You went and stole my thunder. I was typipng about money= freedom and as I post, I get the notice that someone else has posted already... not thinking much of it, I hit post anyways... and lo and behold, you mention that money = freedom.

BTW, totally agree with all other aspects of your post too. I have never looked at someone better off thatn me with angst. I have however, often asked them advice on how to get where they are.

User avatar
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills
Posts: 1350
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:00 pm

Re: Rebreathers.....

Post by pensacoladiver » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:16 pm

H20doctor wrote: $ = Power .


More importantly (in my book anyway), $=freedom

User avatar
ljjames
I've Got Gills
Posts: 2679
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:46 pm

Re: Rebreathers.....

Post by ljjames » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:14 pm

good post.

I got an email today from a 16 year old who got hooked on diving 2 years ago in his jr. cert or whatever. He can't buy a drysuit yet because he's still growing. He's saving his allowance and newspaper route money or whatever to buy a scooter someday. he's got dreams of wreck diving with a CUDA. So he does what he can, does shore dives in crappy borrowed, rented or thrift store gear because that is all he can get....

I'm sure he'd be impressed and a bit jealous of anyone who could afford a Hollis/X/Gavin/Halcyon/SUEX/Mako used or new.

instead of looking at someone who can afford the stuff with vitriol, he instead looks up to them and is interested in how he can someday have the same opportunities.

i'd love to not be a bit worried about money all the time, part of that is genetics, part of it is making a life choice that brings me less money but more freedom... but i sure as heck don't hold it against any of you who have it, that would just be damn silly!! (and maybe if I am even a bit pleasant i might get to go out on one of the rich folks boats!!!) *grin*
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"

User avatar
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills
Posts: 1350
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:00 pm

Re: Rebreathers.....

Post by pensacoladiver » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:11 pm

Buster wrote: His post is merely to flaunt his wealth and attempt to feel superior to anyone who can not afford to live his lifestyle. It is in extremely poor taste to do this in public.


Buster,

I seriously doubt that is his motivation for posting what he did. I have been out with Cory on more than a few occasions and I do not see him as the type of guy that throws his lifestyle around.

From what I see, he is in a good position, content with his situation, AND happens to share some of his good fortune with more than a few landlocked folks who routinely get the opportunity to dive off his boat. As one of the folks who has dove off his boat, there was not once an indication of throwing his lifestyle around.

That being said, Cory, I sure as hell didn't need to know about your part nudist lifestyle. Something about that ponytail. :stir:

User avatar
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills
Posts: 1350
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:00 pm

Re: Rebreathers.....

Post by pensacoladiver » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:59 pm

Dashrynn wrote:
airsix wrote:
Dashrynn wrote:Cory I like you and all but that was a bit of a slap in the face for those of us who can barely afford a hollis scoot. :/


Not sure why it's a slap in the face. When he was your age I bet he didn't have 2 nickels to rub together. He's worked for everything he has. I'm sure that if you apply yourself you'll be able to afford the toys when you're old like him. (Ah, see how I kept this post balanced. LOL)


No not that... just grew up poor and when someone flaunts their wealth its like they're saying " im better than you". But i understand why cory said it like he did....


WOW, Where do I begin with these incredible pearls of wisdom. In one sentence you mention someone "flaunting their wealth", however in a prior post you make sure to point out you hve a Hollis scooter.

You see, there are people on this board who would love to be able to buy a Hollis scooter, but simply can't because they do not have the money. Does that mean YOU are flaunting YOUR wealth in front of them now?

Dash, It's pretty simple, the problem with begrudging someone financial success is that unless YOU are the poorest sap on the face of the earth, there will ALWAYS be someone who can then begrudge you your success.

User avatar
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills
Posts: 1350
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:00 pm

Re: Rebreathers.....

Post by pensacoladiver » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:53 pm

Jaksonbrown wrote: Im part nudist


Which part?

Nevermind, I don't want to know. :neener:

User avatar
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills
Posts: 1467
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:43 am

Re: Rebreathers.....

Post by Sockmonkey » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:01 pm

Dashrynn wrote:me and you need to go diving....


You know where to find me.

-Eric
"I used to do this for fun, but now, I do it for nothing" -Not Joshua Smith

:eric: Hawaiian Seamonkey Blog

User avatar
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills
Posts: 4502
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:59 am

Re: Rebreathers.....

Post by Nwbrewer » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:55 pm

Dashrynn wrote:
Nwbrewer wrote:
Old is relative, Dashy is barely out of diapers.

Dash, use it as motivation. Work hard. Learn a lot. Make more $.


I think he was talking about cory....


Yes Dash, Cory is old only compared to the SCUBA baby.(that's you in case you missed it)

Why am I explaining this? Why am I reading this train wreck of a thread?
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)


"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman

dsteding
I've Got Gills
Posts: 1857
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:50 pm

Re: Rebreathers.....

Post by dsteding » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:54 pm

Joshua Smith wrote:I bought some new boots today because my feet hurt.


Josh the Boot Destroyer.
Fishstiq wrote:
To clarify.........

I cannot stress enough that this is MY PROBLEM.

User avatar
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills
Posts: 1873
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:24 am

Re: Rebreathers.....

Post by Dashrynn » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:51 pm

Nwbrewer wrote:
Old is relative, Dashy is barely out of diapers.

Dash, use it as motivation. Work hard. Learn a lot. Make more $.


I think he was talking about cory....

User avatar
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills
Posts: 10228
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:32 pm

Re: Rebreathers.....

Post by Joshua Smith » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:50 pm

I bought some new boots today because my feet hurt.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."

Locked