Rebreathers.....

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
User avatar
BDub
I've Got Gills
Posts: 1327
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:39 pm

Re: Rebreathers.....

Post by BDub » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:25 pm

Joshua Smith wrote:
loanwolf wrote:My unit has 1000's of hours on it



Greg- you've had that Revo for, what, 2 1/2 years, now? THOUSANDS of hours on it? I thought you said you did like 650 hours on it last year?


Dude...he's the Wolf....dog years. 650 human hours is 4550 wolf hours....WOOF!






(I can't believe I just threw my hat into this trainwreck)
Last edited by BDub on Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding

User avatar
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills
Posts: 10228
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:32 pm

Re: Rebreathers.....

Post by Joshua Smith » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:03 pm

loanwolf wrote:My unit has 1000's of hours on it



Greg- you've had that Revo for, what, 2 1/2 years, now? THOUSANDS of hours on it? I thought you said you did like 650 hours on it last year?
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."

User avatar
loanwolf
Pelagic
Posts: 945
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:20 am

Re: Rebreathers.....

Post by loanwolf » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:24 pm

spatman wrote:
Fishstiq wrote:Spatty, much love for a homie and all that :rr: , but everything you post, you post as a mod. Its all part and parcel. Phenominal cosmic power, itty bitty living space.


that's crap, dude. just because i work here doesn't mean i can't be a participant as well.


Curt Bowen catches hell about that on RBW all the time. It sucks but is the truth.
Greg
Life is Short do as Much as Possible in as Short of Period of Time as Possible.

User avatar
loanwolf
Pelagic
Posts: 945
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:20 am

Re: Rebreathers.....

Post by loanwolf » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:17 pm

Sockmonkey wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:You're right and wrong all at once, here.


I'll take it!

Ok... would you say that to become a skilled CCR diver you require more training and more hours on your machine than an OC diver?

-Eric



Eric you can take Open-water CCR class.

The newer CCR's are extremely easy to operate in the water as compared to the ones from 20+ years ago. And they are for the most part very bullet proof but that all depends on what unit you get. It takes me literally 5 min to set and be ready to dive and 5 min to break it down and rinse it out after a dive. I can do 4 - 250' dives off a single fill or dive for several days at shallow depths before I have to refill things. My unit has 1000's of hours on it and I maybe fully wash mine once a month or I hit the lake to rinse it off. I do however keep the lungs and loop rinsed and clean. I do maintain my 1st stages and check them all the time same as with OC gear. The rest of it is covered in the 5 min setup and checks, extremely simple

Skill has not really got anything to do with it. It is all about comfort in the water. If you are comfortable in the water you do not have to have impeccable in water tech skills unless you are doing that kind of diving. You are going to be more attentive and aware of what if going on around you. I find diving CCR much more comfortable than OC as does just about everyone I know or we would not do it. Time slows down you notice more things it is very nice and has nothing to do with skills. Some of my friends who dive CCR but only shallow for criders look like hell in the water but they are comfortable and very safe. They don't give a rat's ass what others think they enjoy themselves that is all that matters and have been for years.
Greg
Life is Short do as Much as Possible in as Short of Period of Time as Possible.

User avatar
loanwolf
Pelagic
Posts: 945
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:20 am

Re: Rebreathers.....

Post by loanwolf » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:37 pm

John Rawlings wrote:
Jumping into the water and descending with a tank turned off will provide a few moments of embarrassment to an OC diver, but for a CCR diver it can be absolutely deadly if not corrected quickly.

- John


John OC divers die from that same thing quite often we had one recently from that just here in the sound if I remember correctly.
Greg
Life is Short do as Much as Possible in as Short of Period of Time as Possible.

User avatar
loanwolf
Pelagic
Posts: 945
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:20 am

Re: Rebreathers.....

Post by loanwolf » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:28 pm

Jeff Kruse wrote:My 2 cents.

You shouldn’t be getting a rebreather because you don’t want to haul extra tanks on the boat.

Rebreathers are far more dangerous than OC. If you can reasonably do it on OC then you don’t use a RB.

And Laura’s last post was right on.


Jeff I disagree with you on this big time. Show the prof in statistic that CCR is more dangerous. I myself after thousands of hours on CCR find it to be safer as I have all the time in the water to stop and sort out a problem. weather at 30' or 600' I have time i am not watching a SPG drop like a stone.
Greg
Life is Short do as Much as Possible in as Short of Period of Time as Possible.

User avatar
Pez7378
I've Got Gills
Posts: 3256
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:09 am

Re: Rebreathers.....

Post by Pez7378 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:46 pm

Joshua Smith wrote:
airsix wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:Yeah, yeah- but we're entitled to our opinions. Just like the rest of you. Of course, we have mad skillz and mysterious powers to back them up with...


Lightning bolt! Lightning bolt!

Here are the mods at a recent retreat honing their mad skillz and mysterious powers. :rofl:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_ekugPKqFw[/youtube]



When I find out who leaked that training video of us, there's going to be some serious smiting going down.


In Prison, it is a death sentence to Snitch, but since this is the real world, not so much. If I'm wrong, it's totally worth the risk.......


Calvin did it!!

User avatar
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills
Posts: 1467
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:43 am

Re: Rebreathers.....

Post by Sockmonkey » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:34 pm

CaptnJack wrote:
spatman wrote::joshsmith: :joshsmith: :joshsmith: :joshsmith: :joshsmith: :joshsmith: :joshsmith: :joshsmith: :joshsmith: :joshsmith:
:taco: :taco: :taco: :taco: :taco: :taco: :taco: :taco: :taco: :taco: :taco: :taco:


Yeah what socky said ;) :angelblue:


Are you saying we all look alike?

-Eric
"I used to do this for fun, but now, I do it for nothing" -Not Joshua Smith

:eric: Hawaiian Seamonkey Blog

User avatar
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills
Posts: 10228
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:32 pm

Re: Rebreathers.....

Post by Joshua Smith » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:29 pm

airsix wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:Yeah, yeah- but we're entitled to our opinions. Just like the rest of you. Of course, we have mad skillz and mysterious powers to back them up with...


Lightning bolt! Lightning bolt!

Here are the mods at a recent retreat honing their mad skillz and mysterious powers. :rofl:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_ekugPKqFw[/youtube]



When I find out who leaked that training video of us, there's going to be some serious smiting going down.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."

User avatar
Norris
I've Got Gills
Posts: 4554
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:31 pm

Re: Rebreathers.....

Post by Norris » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:27 pm

LARP RULEZ
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**

User avatar
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills
Posts: 2176
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:00 pm

Re: Rebreathers.....

Post by Mattleycrue76 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:26 pm

airsix wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:Yeah, yeah- but we're entitled to our opinions. Just like the rest of you. Of course, we have mad skillz and mysterious powers to back them up with...


Lightning bolt! Lightning bolt!

Here are the mods at a recent retreat honing their mad skillz and mysterious powers. :rofl:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_ekugPKqFw[/youtube]



I just snorted diet coke out my nose :rofl:
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith

User avatar
airsix
I've Got Gills
Posts: 3049
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:38 pm

Re: Rebreathers.....

Post by airsix » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:23 pm

Joshua Smith wrote:Yeah, yeah- but we're entitled to our opinions. Just like the rest of you. Of course, we have mad skillz and mysterious powers to back them up with...


Lightning bolt! Lightning bolt!

Here are the mods at a recent retreat honing their mad skillz and mysterious powers. :rofl:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_ekugPKqFw[/youtube]
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey

User avatar
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills
Posts: 7752
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:29 pm

Re: Rebreathers.....

Post by CaptnJack » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:14 pm

spatman wrote::joshsmith: :joshsmith: :joshsmith: :joshsmith: :joshsmith: :joshsmith: :joshsmith: :joshsmith: :joshsmith: :joshsmith:
:taco: :taco: :taco: :taco: :taco: :taco: :taco: :taco: :taco: :taco: :taco: :taco:


Yeah what socky said ;) :angelblue:
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.

Geek
Pelagic
Posts: 945
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: Rebreathers.....

Post by Geek » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:55 pm

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
If I'm killed by the questions like a cancer,
Then I'll be buried in the silence of the answer.


http://www.tacomacomputersolutions.com


Life isn't like a box of chocolate's, life is like a box of chocolate and horse bisket's and no matter which one you get you have to keep on chewing...

User avatar
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills
Posts: 10228
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:32 pm

Re: Rebreathers.....

Post by Joshua Smith » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:54 pm

Fishstiq wrote:
spatman wrote:
Jaksonbrown wrote:Is there an issue Spat? Im simply responding, politely, to Richards remarks.... Well within the TOS...
The comments made by Richard are not acceptable. He is calling me dangerous, irresponsible, ignorant, and that I do not maintain my gear properly, in public.. This potentially affects peoples views of me as a dive budddy. I wont stand for it. If he has valid reasons for his claims.. Out with them already... lets discuss it!
Sure.. call me a hot head, arrogant, maybe even eccentric, over zelous... but not dangerous or reckless.....


i didn't post that as a mod, dude, i posted it as another diver who's getting sick of wading through this personal pissing contest between you two. there is actually some good info on ccrs in this thead that is completely overwhelmed by bullsh!t.



Spatty, much love for a homie and all that :rr: , but everything you post, you post as a mod. Its all part and parcel. Phenominal cosmic power, itty bitty living space.



Yeah, yeah- but we're entitled to our opinions. Just like the rest of you. Of course, we have mad skillz and mysterious powers to back them up with. We try hard to be impartial, and I think we do a pretty good job of it. At least, after I delete all the opinions that differ slightly from my own, it LOOKS as if I'm impartial. Anyway, I keep getting my impartial pressure mixed up with my partial pressure, mixed up with my peer pressure. (Also, "peers" and "piers", but I don't want to confuse anyone, especially my piers.)
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."

User avatar
spatman
I've Got Gills
Posts: 10881
Joined: Wed May 30, 2007 7:06 am

Re: Rebreathers.....

Post by spatman » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:50 pm

Fishstiq wrote:Spatty, much love for a homie and all that :rr: , but everything you post, you post as a mod. Its all part and parcel. Phenominal cosmic power, itty bitty living space.


that's crap, dude. just because i work here doesn't mean i can't be a participant as well.
Image

Fishstiq
Amphibian
Posts: 827
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:58 am

Re: Rebreathers.....

Post by Fishstiq » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:44 pm

spatman wrote:
Jaksonbrown wrote:Is there an issue Spat? Im simply responding, politely, to Richards remarks.... Well within the TOS...
The comments made by Richard are not acceptable. He is calling me dangerous, irresponsible, ignorant, and that I do not maintain my gear properly, in public.. This potentially affects peoples views of me as a dive budddy. I wont stand for it. If he has valid reasons for his claims.. Out with them already... lets discuss it!
Sure.. call me a hot head, arrogant, maybe even eccentric, over zelous... but not dangerous or reckless.....


i didn't post that as a mod, dude, i posted it as another diver who's getting sick of wading through this personal pissing contest between you two. there is actually some good info on ccrs in this thead that is completely overwhelmed by bullsh!t.



Spatty, much love for a homie and all that :rr: , but everything you post, you post as a mod. Its all part and parcel. Phenominal cosmic power, itty bitty living space.
Not just front page famous, but above the fold famous...

Waiting for your AIDS test results is no time to be thinking positive.

User avatar
spatman
I've Got Gills
Posts: 10881
Joined: Wed May 30, 2007 7:06 am

Re: Rebreathers.....

Post by spatman » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:08 pm

:joshsmith: :joshsmith: :joshsmith: :joshsmith: :joshsmith: :joshsmith: :joshsmith: :joshsmith: :joshsmith: :joshsmith:
:taco: :taco: :taco: :taco: :taco: :taco: :taco: :taco: :taco: :taco: :taco: :taco:
Image

User avatar
Norris
I've Got Gills
Posts: 4554
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:31 pm

Re: Rebreathers.....

Post by Norris » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:05 pm

I think it was more should or should not, but I'm just lurking

:joshsmith: :joshsmith: :joshsmith:
Last edited by Norris on Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**

User avatar
April
Dive-aholic
Posts: 272
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:15 am

Re: Rebreathers.....

Post by April » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:40 pm

Jeff Kruse wrote: YOU said you are considering a RB because you don’t like hauling all those tanks on your boat. IMO that is not an acceptable (to me) reason to increase risk so much while diving.


I think that's the key here... it's not an acceptable reason TO YOU to go to CCR...

A lot of people won't consider diving because the risks of sharks or kelp/entanglement or what-have-you is too great. Like Matt said, if your reason for going to 300 feet is to stare at plankton, SO WHAT?? In the end, every dive we do is for fun, if the fun is worth the risk then what can anyone else say against it? The decision is your own to make!

Cory has his own reasons to want a rebreather, and it's his business. It's one thing to offer advice and knowledge about rebreathers and the dangers of it (especially since he asked), but completely out of line (IMO) to tell him what he can and cannot do.
April

User avatar
Jaksonbrown
Amphibian
Posts: 846
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:58 pm

Re: Rebreathers.....

Post by Jaksonbrown » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:49 pm

I give....... Richard your reasoning is absurd, your logic is pathetic and your back peddling is obvious.....


Thank you all that contributed to my quest to learn more about Rebreathers. I am very excited to attend Mels Rebreather experience.
Most likely, unless for some reason, I just hate the demo day, I will be moving up to a Re-breather. My reasoning and judgement behind using one will be my own.

I kind of look at it like the day I began flying the ATOS. A carbon fiber experimental rigid wing glider. A prototype if you will. It was very fast, had a great glide ratio, and was a blast to fly. It let me go further, faster, and higher than I thought ever possible. Everyone told me I was crazy at first for flying it... But I LOVED that glider. If I had died flying it.... I would have died with a smile on my face doing what I loved.

User avatar
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills
Posts: 10228
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:32 pm

Re: Rebreathers.....

Post by Joshua Smith » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:47 pm

Sockmonkey wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:
Sockmonkey wrote:Ok... would you say that to become a skilled CCR diver you require more training and more hours on your machine than an OC diver?

-Eric



Sure. Learning OC was easy, for me. But it took me 50-75 hours on the Meg to get feeling happy again.


Maybe, now that I think about, that is really the point I want to make. The need for rigorous training and extensive experience... more so than OC.

Is it no wonder that CCR divers think in terms of hours rather than number of dives? (outside of obvious need for maintenance to be performed every N hours)

-Eric



Well- maybe. Are you talking about PADI OW, or DIR-F? From what I've seen, Fundies or the equivilant are similar to CCR mod 1 in terms of time and effort.

edit- we use hours instead of dives because our scrubbers are rated for certain numbers of hours- and a singler dive can be hours long!
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."

User avatar
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills
Posts: 1467
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:43 am

Re: Rebreathers.....

Post by Sockmonkey » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:43 pm

Joshua Smith wrote:
Sockmonkey wrote:Ok... would you say that to become a skilled CCR diver you require more training and more hours on your machine than an OC diver?

-Eric



Sure. Learning OC was easy, for me. But it took me 50-75 hours on the Meg to get feeling happy again.


Maybe, now that I think about, that is really the point I want to make. The need for rigorous training and extensive experience... more so than OC.

Is it no wonder that CCR divers think in terms of hours rather than number of dives? (outside of obvious need for maintenance to be performed every N hours)

-Eric
"I used to do this for fun, but now, I do it for nothing" -Not Joshua Smith

:eric: Hawaiian Seamonkey Blog

User avatar
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills
Posts: 7752
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:29 pm

Re: Rebreathers.....

Post by CaptnJack » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:40 pm

Jaksonbrown wrote:Sure.. call me a hot head, arrogant, maybe even eccentric, over zelous... but not dangerous or reckless.....


Chief not sure where you read that. I said you were "not a meticulous anal retentive gear guy" and thus a CCR really doesn't seem like a good fit for you. Are you really up for the CCR maintenance on top of the boat, scooter and your piles of other shiny toys? Sure its "only an hour or so" prep and maintenance time. But when you forget about it or ignore it, a CCR is not going to be forgiving like a due for service OC reg.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.

Jeff Kruse
Compulsive Diver
Posts: 316
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:41 am

Re: Rebreathers.....

Post by Jeff Kruse » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:33 pm

Jaksonbrown wrote:
Jeff Kruse wrote:
Jaksonbrown wrote:Is a rebreather the solution?


IUnfortunatly Jeff, you are falling into the same trap that Dick has fallen into. Your basing your opinion on what you read on this forum and have made wrongful conclusions based upon your assumptions.


What? I made no judgments about you. That is my advice for anyone considering a RB.

However, if you insist on thinking that I am making judgments about you based on this thread then the first post on this thread is enough. YOU said you are considering a RB because you don’t like hauling all those tanks on your boat. IMO that is not an acceptable (to me) reason to increase risk so much while diving. Therefore, again I give you my opinion to your question.

Locked