If you were going to buy a new drysuit today...

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
WASP7000
Dive-aholic

If you were going to buy a new drysuit today...

Post by WASP7000 »

Which one would it be and why? Neoprene or shell? I'm considering making my next purchase a new drysuit and can't really afford something in the $2000+ range, so keep that in mind, and I wear a size 13 shoe, so if it comes with size 10 attached boots, that doesn't help either.
lizard0924
Submariner

Re: If you were going to buy a new drysuit today...

Post by lizard0924 »

I love my DUI FLX 50/50 (top shell, bottoms neoprene), which I picked up used for $900 (including undergarments, rock boots, split fins and carrying bags). I lucked into finding that particular deal on a local dive club's message board (not here). I also have a custom made Diving Concepts tri-lam shell suit, but it never kept me warm enough and there was just too much material to deal with for me and I hated the attached boots....far too little support in the soles. I much prefer neoprene to shell personally, and if I could find a full neoprene DUI for cheap, I'd totally pick one up.
Liz

www.lizsundquist.com

Holy cow! I'm the Godzilla of the underworld, apparently. ~ JenBowes
I'm going to tie my spool off on your manifold and ride you like a manatee! ~ Scottsax
Lundy will forever be known as The Guy Touching Richard's Thong. ~ Spatman
trevorrowe
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by trevorrowe »

I would buy the same drysuit I own now, Bare Trilam Tech HD. You can pick up a new one locally for ~ $1700, and that will usually come with a $400 undergarment for free (bare runs that promotion very frequently). The suit is practically indestructible and if you purchase from a LDS you can customize the suit for no extra charge. You can use a neoprene sock or attached boot, latext or neoprene seals (I love their neoprene neck seal), custom sizing, etc. They come with sci-tech valves (another plus) and they have a service shop about 2 hours north of Seattle.
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

What Trevor said. I've been very happy with my bare suit.
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
WASP7000
Dive-aholic

Post by WASP7000 »

Sounds like a good deal. Do you happen to know a dive shop that is selling them for that price with the undergarment? I would like to try one out.
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Neoprene ...Bare is good , so Is atlan .. Bassman has a new suit and he loves it
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
trevorrowe
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by trevorrowe »

WASP7000 wrote:Sounds like a good deal. Do you happen to know a dive shop that is selling them for that price with the undergarment? I would like to try one out.
Lighthouse and NWSD are both dealers for Bare. I'm sure there are others in the area, but those are two I am aware of (I'm a north-ender). You will want to speak with them about the promo. The promo is offered by Bare, but a Bare dealer should be aware of what promos are valid/current.

The bare trilam is getting pretty popular, if you do decide to go that route, I'm sure you wont be disappointed.
Berritt
Aquaphile

Post by Berritt »

Check out Tacoma scuba. They have awesome prices for Bare suits, and I called around and scoured the net.

I just bought a bare xcd2 crushed neoprene and I love it, BUT, it's all I know. The only dry suit I have ever (barely) used, so ignorance is bliss. I don't know if I might have liked trilam better since I have never used one, so my opinion is kind of silly. But I am very happy with my crushed neo. Very cozy.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I'd buy another Fusion, pretty much without hesitation, and especially if I had bigger feet. I love my Fusion, and it's been remarkably dry and trouble-free. With the Lycra skin and X-shorts, you save several hundred dollars over the more expensive skins, and get better pockets. You get a light suit that's easy to pack and dry, and a great, thick, warm undergarment. And the new suits are cut so you can actually get the undergarment INTO them.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Geek
Pelagic

Post by Geek »

+1 for Bare Drysuits, I have a xcd2 tech dry and it's my 2nd one, check out Tacoma Scuba, I think they are the closest shop that carries them to Olympia.... and if there not, there the bestest shop :neener:

:stir:

:angelblue:
If I'm killed by the questions like a cancer,
Then I'll be buried in the silence of the answer.

http://www.tacomacomputersolutions.com

Life isn't like a box of chocolate's, life is like a box of chocolate and horse bisket's and no matter which one you get you have to keep on chewing...
guitarmaker
Dive-aholic

Post by guitarmaker »

LCF wrote:I'd buy another Fusion, pretty much without hesitation, and especially if I had bigger feet. I love my Fusion, and it's been remarkably dry and trouble-free. With the Lycra skin and X-shorts, you save several hundred dollars over the more expensive skins, and get better pockets. You get a light suit that's easy to pack and dry, and a great, thick, warm undergarment. And the new suits are cut so you can actually get the undergarment INTO them.
I just bought the Fusion from Salem scuba. They're having a sale tomorrow (Saturday) and have a killer deal on a package that includes suit, undergarment, hood, gloves, carry bag and offering a choice of boots for about 1800.
http://www.salemscuba.com/index.htm
Cheers!

Ron
Highliner
Avid Diver

Post by Highliner »

Underwater Sports Divers Fair July 30-Aug1. Lot's of manufacturers and hands on. Great deals too!
Underwater Sports- North Seattle on 205th and Aurora Ave N.
no excuses
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by no excuses »

I have had both and will stick with the shell suit, its lighter, dries faster if it gets wet inside, usuallly packs smaller, and you can vary the thermal protection with different levels undergarments. Plus its usually easier to suit up in a shell suit, just my .02cents
raptor
Dive-aholic

Post by raptor »

XCD 2 Tech

It is very nice it is warm rouged and fits well. The cost is also very good compared to the DUI. I am on my 3rd suit and this so far is my fav.
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

its so hard to determine whats best for you, if i could afford a weezle undergarment i would go trilam or something like that.

But i get cold easy and that extra mm or 4 of neoprene makes me blood stay happy....and plus my setup only cost 455$
oregondiver
Submariner

Post by oregondiver »

Berritt and I just spent hours at the Bare booth (and many hours combined at other drysuit vendor booths) at the Dive show in May.

She got the neoprene suit (she mentioned above) for warmth factors. I bought the Bare Trilam. I prefer Shell/Trilam (my old suit was trilam/shell) because it dries quickly, easy to travel with since it is light weight, packs down smaller (I can fly to cali/canada to dive)....but it is also what I am used to but also easy to get on/off.

Tacoma Scuba had waaayyy better prices than anyone else... Like Berritt said...we shopped around heavily since we were both looking at drysuits to purchase that day. Really impressed with the seams, zipper and valves.

We both ordered non-custom suits May 23rd. Her suit arrived within about 5 weeks after ordering. Mine took 6 weeks...and then had the wrong neck seal...and I am still waiting for my suit to arrive. So if you wanted a suit fast...they may not be the right company (but I don't know if any company is fast unless it is hanging in the shop right there).

I know Eugene Skin Divers was advertising $1499 for the Bare suit (back zip, add $$ for front zip) with free undergarment this past weekend. So I know Bare is having the undies sale. So check with Tacoma Scuba if you are local and see what they can offer you!
Shell
Discussing the Whites Fusion: "Looks like you are wearing a startrek leotard with bunched-up undies..." -Airsix

"fins are like shoes....you can never have enough pairs." -Lizard0924
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

I bought a used Whites shell suit off craigslist for $450 a couple years ago and it has served me very well. It is kinda long in the legs or I think more like my legs are short for the suit. :smt032 I have had no issues with it and I like how well the shell suit seems to me as tough skinned. I have yet to have any leaks (knock on wood), I have only changed the seals 2 times.

Just my 2 cents :boxer:
Jeff Castor
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

FWIW my BARE suit - ordered from NWSD for an excellent price - got to me in about 10 days. They're located just across the border in BC so unless you're ordering custom stuff it should get here pretty quick.
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
WASP7000
Dive-aholic

Post by WASP7000 »

pogiguy05 wrote:I bought a used Whites shell suit off craigslist for $450 a couple years ago and it has served me very well. It is kinda long in the legs or I think more like my legs are short for the suit. :smt032 I have had no issues with it and I like how well the shell suit seems to me as tough skinned. I have yet to have any leaks (knock on wood), I have only changed the seals 2 times.

Just my 2 cents :boxer:

I did the exact same thing, used whites shell suit/undergarment/dry gloves, craigs list, $300. there is a very small leak in the foot now but aquaseal will cure that. However, the suit is a bit short for me. I have a hard time squatting down to put fins on.
oregondiver
Submariner

Post by oregondiver »

Mattleycrue76 wrote:FWIW my BARE suit - ordered from NWSD for an excellent price - got to me in about 10 days. They're located just across the border in BC so unless you're ordering custom stuff it should get here pretty quick.
I was told about 10 days because it was so close by ...which stretched to 3 weeks...but finally arrived after 6 weeks. Don't get me wrong, I love the suit (what little I saw of it before it was sent back to fix the gasket)....but we are now on another 10 days and it hasn't come back. So....2 months total?
Discussing the Whites Fusion: "Looks like you are wearing a startrek leotard with bunched-up undies..." -Airsix

Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

DUI CF200, the best and most comfortable suit I have ever owned.
Charles
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

+1 on the CF200. Toasty warm and dry. Added DC dry glove rings to it, and it's even toastier and drier...

Only downside is that it's heavy with a capital H when wet, and thick-if I was going to dive dry in warmer water than here, I'd seriously need to think about investing in a shell suit.
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
pnw_diver
Just Settling In

Post by pnw_diver »

trevorrowe wrote:I would buy the same drysuit I own now, Bare Trilam Tech HD. You can pick up a new one locally for ~ $1700, and that will usually come with a $400 undergarment for free (bare runs that promotion very frequently). The suit is practically indestructible and if you purchase from a LDS you can customize the suit for no extra charge. You can use a neoprene sock or attached boot, latext or neoprene seals (I love their neoprene neck seal), custom sizing, etc. They come with sci-tech valves (another plus) and they have a service shop about 2 hours north of Seattle.
Re: custom sizing. My LDS told me that custom sizing is not free, and that the free undergarment promotion doesn't apply to custom sized suits. Is this not the case?
oregondiver
Submariner

Post by oregondiver »

pnw_diver wrote: Re: custom sizing. My LDS told me that custom sizing is not free, and that the free undergarment promotion doesn't apply to custom sized suits. Is this not the case?
My LDS said I would have to pay about $100 or $150 (can't remember) to do custom sizing...but it would still meet the free undergarment (at that time...may 23rd) criteria...

Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

pnw_diver wrote:
Re: custom sizing. My LDS told me that custom sizing is not free
It usually isn't free, unfortunately, it adds a few hundred dollars to the price.
pnw_diver wrote: and that the free undergarment promotion doesn't apply to custom sized suits. Is this not the case?
Dunno about that.

Bare makes really good suits, and by and large the people that I know that have them are really happy with them.

I have known two people who have gotten custom sizing with Bare and were rather unhappy with the results. Multiple trips back to adjust the sizing didn't seem to help.

If you can get a stock suit that fits I would recommend that regardless of brand.
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!