Weezle undergarments?

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Cera
Submariner

Weezle undergarments?

Post by Cera »

Anyone have one? Do you like it? is it worth the price?
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... THEY ARE NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING ... BUT THEY STILL BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN YOU PUSH THEM DOWN A FLIGHT OF STAIRS

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cera17
boydski
Submariner

Post by boydski »

Hi Cera,

We've been using Weezle undergarments for years, and have had very good luck with them. They are toasty warm, even for long decompression hang times, and are also very good at keeping you warm when your dry suit floods.

I've had quite a few floods over the years and really haven't had to cut the dive short as I was still pretty warm even when wet.

Scott (Boydski) Boyd
enchantmentdivi
Amphibian

Post by enchantmentdivi »

I don't like a lot of bulk on my arms, so I went with a Weezle vest. When the water and air temps are extra cold, I use it over my regular undergarments and love it.

Jenn
diver-dad
Compulsive Diver

Post by diver-dad »

No experience with them, but from the company's web site, WA dealers can be found at http://www.weezle.co.uk/boards/dealers_ ... ington.htm
- DD

"Always do right -- this will gratify some and astonish the rest."
-Mark Twain
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Definitely yes.....yes.....and yes!

I once dived for 5 straight days up in Barkley Sound with a dry-suit that leaked like a sieve due to a leak through my chest inflator-valve that we could not manage to field-repair. I was able to stay reasonably warm with my Weezle even though it was soaking wet during each dive. After the dive I would take off my dry-suit, wring the water out of my Weezle, and hang the Weezle in the wind to dry during our surafce interval. An hour or so later I was good to go. It quite literally saved my trip.

I have both the Extreme and the Extreme +. I use the Extreme pretty much year-round, but occasionally use the Extreme + on REALLY frigid dives in mid-winter. I am VERY pleased with both. They also come with "socks" made of the same material that extend up to just below the knee that keep your feet toasty warm.

My primary dive buddy, "Sparky" Campbell, got his nick-name years ago when he was electrocuted as a wireman. That accident left his skin extremely sensitive to the cold. He has told me on numerous occasions that diving with a Weezle is the only thing that lets him dive as often and as long as he does. Prior to getting a Weezle he had to wear several layers of underwear to stay warm and also had to wear 50 pounds of weight to compensate for all of those layers. It was really quite unbelieveable! Because of his condition, he uses an Extreme + year round and is happy as a clam with it.

Off the top of my head, I can think of at least 5 or 6 of my other dive buddies that dive with Weezles and I have never heard a single peep of complaint from any of them.....and we ALL do deep, cold tech dives with long hangs.

On a personal note, I have known the owners of Weezle Diving Services, Paul and Hilary Child, for years. You will never meet two more decent, honest and trustworthy people. They make a great product and they back it up.

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Weezle

Post by Scubak »

I love my weezle...best thing I ever bought besides my drysuit.
Go on over to see Ron at Hoodsport and Dive, they usually have em in stock and you could try one on as well.
Kirsten
"Let's go diving!"
TCarter
Avid Diver

Post by TCarter »

I wear a Weezle Compact under my 6mm neoprene drysuit. Sometimes I still get cold, but it's better than the long underwear I used before. As others have noted, it works even when wet.

Terry

Post by . »

Last edited by . on Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

I have the Bare equivalent and love it. Everyone I know who has a Weezle loves them.
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option
coachrenz
Aquanaut

Post by coachrenz »

[quote="Brinybay"]Nice! But rather skimpy for an undergarment, IMO:

Hey Briny -

You might want to warn those who don't know what a Wicked Weasel is that it isn't work safe, at least not in a lot of work places.

Tim
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

coachrenz wrote:
Brinybay wrote:Nice! But rather skimpy for an undergarment, IMO:

Hey Briny -

You might want to warn those who don't know what a Wicked Weasel is that it isn't work safe, at least not in a lot of work places.

Tim
Good point Tim ...

If those three or four people who insist on posting this stuff keep doing it, people like me are gonna just have to write this place off and go do our posting someplace else.

I've asked nicely in the past, but apparently some folks just don't freak'n care.

This dive club ain't worth losing my job for ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Ok.....time to take a stand here. I have chosen to delete the link that was originally attached.

Here is a portion of the rules that everyone agreed to when they became members of NWDC:

"You agree not to post any spam, abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous,
hateful, threatening, sexually-oriented or any other material that may
violate any applicable laws."

Granted, the deleted link did not "violate any applicable laws", but in the eyes of many it was sexually-oriented as well as being vulgar. I do not consider myself to be prudish.....I will guffaw over a great dirty joke with the best of them.....but there is a time and there is a place for such comments and inuendoes. In my opinion, NWDC is not one of those places.

Consider this - many of the members here, myself and Grateful Diver among them, access this web site from a work computer when we are at work. Links to sites such as the one I deleted, sexually explicit cartoons, graphic videos/photos and foul language can cause severe problems at work, up to and including the loss of a career. I regularly visit another diving web site from my home computer that I no longer can access at work because its content has been deemed to be "innappropriate" by the work firewall because of content, images and language.

Consider this as well - NWDC has members of all ages and all walks of life.....a significant percentage of the membership is not comfortable with posts such as the one I deleted. Many members' children access the site so that they can read discussions held by their parents' peers in the diving world. I am aware that some of these parents have politely requested that the innappropriate posts cease - a request that has apparently gone by the wayside.

Come on, folks, the web is chock FULL of sites on which you can post smut and vulgarities to your heart's content.....why do it here?

I'm certain that some here will vehemently disagree with my position. So be it.

- John
Last edited by John Rawlings on Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

Cera
Submariner

Post by Cera »

Thanks for the feedback! They obviously seem very popular. - Glad I asked
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... THEY ARE NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING ... BUT THEY STILL BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN YOU PUSH THEM DOWN A FLIGHT OF STAIRS

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cera17
Cuppie
Dive-aholic

Post by Cuppie »

Thanks John. You're completely right, there is a time and a place for things like that and NWDC is neither of them!
~cups
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

I want to buy an extreme, becuase I dive a shell suit and need the heat.
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR
ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE
STAIRS.
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Maverick wrote:I want to buy an extreme, becuase I dive a shell suit and need the heat.
Hey, Mav!

The Extreme is their "normal" suit. The Extreme + is the one that is designed for intense cold. Unless you REALLY get cold, the Extreme + can be too much for some people and you can actually over-heat yourself while wearing it.

If you were as tall as I am I'd lend you both of mine so that you could compare the two types, but I fear that since they are so large it'd be like you were wearing a tent! HA!

- John

Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

John-
Thank you for the thought though. I will agree with you, the last thing i need to do is pop a tent underwater. HA!

I was thinking the extreme, I get a little chilly now with my undergarment i currenty dive. It is a fleece Andy's brand, nice in the summer but cold any other season.
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR
ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE
STAIRS.
nice-diver
Compulsive Diver

Post by nice-diver »

if you will allow this minor deviation, does anyone use the USIA exotherm 2 or 3. My lds says the exo 3 is too warm, anyone know. I can get the exotherm 2 for $240. thanks
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef »

i have the exotherm 2 and love it, a bit bulky until i hit the water but i have yet to get cold. plus its great topside keeps me warm and toasty and has the look of a 1985 ski suit.
Chin high, puffed chest, we step right to it
The choice is there ain't no choice but to pursue it

"Diving the gas is the easy part, not much to it, plenty of retards are using it safely. " jamieZ
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

I have a 2 and used it several years. I am one of those people that gets real cold and use several layers under it depending on the season. I looked at the Weesels last year and will more than likely get one soon. Ron even offered to loan me one to try. Not much better customer service than that. :salute:

Charles
nice-diver
Compulsive Diver

Post by nice-diver »

thanks ac and bc. I like the price of 240 better than the 4-600 for somthing like a dui.
Rob Holman
Avid Diver

Post by Rob Holman »

this is hearsay as I have never even seen a weezle undergarment, but a down side that I have heard is that they trap air in the suit (due to bulk?). something to consider
Sudie
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Sudie »

It seems to depend on what you define as warm. I used one for a weekend and it was OK but the amount of air I had to add to the suit to keep me reasonably warm was insane. I've tried a variety of base layers and so far nothing has kept me at the toasty warm that everyone talks about.

For example: I wear the Pinnacle Merino Evolution base layer around the house and shop and feel comfortable but not warm. Other people sweat and have to unzip, but not me I'm not even close to "warm". Now this particular base layer is supposed to be good for ice diving but I wear it like you probably wear jeans and a t-shirt around the house. I will admit that I wear long johns under all my daily wear clothes from October til about April too. :)
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Like many of the members here, I too have been eying a Weezle for some time now. The posts here have convinced me that they're the right undergarment for someone like me who gets cold easily (extreme + all the way baby!), but now onto the most important question:

Where do I buy one?

Unlike other types of gear that have comparable alternatives available, it seems as though Weezle is the only undergarment of its kind. I haven't found a place that offers a good deal on them; it seems all shops have about the same price. I need a Medium-Long.

About the above-reference inappropriate posting (I never saw it, btw), I'll echo what the moderators have voiced here. I'll admit I've been just as guilty as some of the other jokesters around here, but after some discussion we've come to the conclusion that if we want this site to be inviting to everyone, we should tone it down and keep it clean. If something is funny, but questionable as to whether others would find it so, post it in the Everything Else forum with a clear warning in the headline of the topic. :salute:
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

It seems to depend on what you define as warm. I used one for a weekend and it was OK but the amount of air I had to add to the suit to keep me reasonably warm was insane. I've tried a variety of base layers and so far nothing has kept me at the toasty warm that everyone talks about.
I have had the same experience with the weezle UG. Not that I am discounting it, It was borrowed and probably didn't fit right. But then I always get cold in the winter. Hence the argon, But it doesnt make me warmer just makes the dive more tolerable.

I used to dive a OS-systems shell suit it was a little big, but to me it seemed warmer. So now I have 600+ dives on a DUIclx450. Maybe the problem is that I need a custom fit? I think it fits me well, at least a few years ago. :pale:

I have tried underarmour, and I don't think it worked for me. But I have a hard time spending big money on undergarments from a dive shop.. Even at a discounted rate it is still ridiculous..
Who run barter town?