Drysuits: What did I buy?

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
disappearinjon
Frequent Bubbler

Drysuits: What did I buy?

Post by disappearinjon »

Went to the DUI DOG rally today, took the wife with me. She doesn't just keep me company (above and under water), she's also my fashion consultant. She figured on getting a dive in, but mostly providing moral support and helping me decide if I liked what I was diving in.

The fashion consultant got a bit cranky as we waited in line after line. We understand the incredible logistics of the thing, and we can't imagine it moving faster, but we don't have to pretend to love waiting in line. It was incredibly efficient, I think, but still a long wait.

We eventually got fitted up, me in the CF 200x, she in the TLS 350. We got paired up with a DM, Dane from A2Z, who was great, and we dove. I dropped 8 pounds of weight from what I have to wear with my monstrous suit of hate, and it turns out I could have dropped 2-4 pounds more. Amazing! Plus I actually managed to spend much (maybe even most) of my time neutrally buoyant, another rare phenomenon in the monstrous suit of hate. I was pretty much sold. I decided to not even try the 50/50, or the TLS.

The Fashion Consultant had a spectacular time too. She loved the suit about 1000x more than her slightly-snug neoprene drysuit. She decided she wanted one.

And so we went to UWS, where we bought two new suits. And now the long, long wait for delivery...

(Oh yeah, She told me she really wanted a new BCD. She doesn't like the way that her jacket-style squeezes, and by the way she's lost between 80 and 100 lbs since she first got it, so it doesn't really fit any more. She's been eyeing my Knighthawk, and I said, what the heck, at this point the bank won't know the difference. So she's got a new BCD, too. And her old gear, the drysuit and the BCD, along with one or more wetsuits that don't fit, will be for sale shortly...)
ktb
I've Got Gills

Re: Drysuits: What did I buy?

Post by ktb »

Nice! I love those kinds of shopping trips.
:)
Kelly
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

congrats, jon! hope you two enjoy those suits.
psundquist
Avid Diver

Post by psundquist »

One year ago I was at the Newport event, test diving the CF 200x. Now I have one and love it . The worst part will be the wait.

I was wondering what color(s) you picked out with the fashion consultant.
disappearinjon
Frequent Bubbler

Post by disappearinjon »

psundquist wrote:One year ago I was at the Newport event, test diving the CF 200x. Now I have one and love it . The worst part will be the wait.
Tell me about it. I had not one, but two dreams last night about getting the suit. Do I have no life, or what?
psundquist wrote:I was wondering what color(s) you picked out with the fashion consultant.
Well, the suit is black, so I only get one color to pick. Charcoal grey. No matter what color my next piece of dive gear, it won't clash with the suit. Almost did all black, but realized that the grey would make it (somewhat) easier to pick out my suit among all of the similar suits in the area... the fashion consultant concurred.
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Post by Pinkpadigal »

disappearinjon wrote: We eventually got fitted up, me in the CF 200x, she in the TLS 350. We got paired up with a DM, Dane from A2Z, who was great, and we dove. I dropped 8 pounds of weight from what I have to wear with my monstrous suit of hate, and it turns out I could have dropped 2-4 pounds more. Amazing! Plus I actually managed to spend much (maybe even most) of my time neutrally buoyant, another rare phenomenon in the monstrous suit of hate.
Glad you and your wife had fun this weekend. I remember you coming through. I will let Dane know you liked diving with him. :)

Congrats on your new suits!
Amy Rhodes
PADI Master Instructor #183890
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
http://www.a2zscuba.com
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

disappearinjon wrote: I dropped 8 pounds of weight from what I have to wear with my monstrous suit of hate, and it turns out I could have dropped 2-4 pounds more. Amazing! Plus I actually managed to spend much (maybe even most) of my time neutrally buoyant, another rare phenomenon in the monstrous suit of hate.
"Suit of hate"....betcha there's some stories behind THAT title!
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
disappearinjon
Frequent Bubbler

Post by disappearinjon »

John Rawlings wrote:
disappearinjon wrote: I dropped 8 pounds of weight from what I have to wear with my monstrous suit of hate, and it turns out I could have dropped 2-4 pounds more. Amazing! Plus I actually managed to spend much (maybe even most) of my time neutrally buoyant, another rare phenomenon in the monstrous suit of hate.
"Suit of hate"....betcha there's some stories behind THAT title!
Let me review:

* Thick neoprene - bulky and buoyant
* Waaay too large for me - traps lots of air
* Neoprene neck & wrist seals, which I know some people love (or at least tolerate due to durability)

With the monstrous suit of hate, I carry 38 pounds of lead. It's absurdly bulky, especially around my midsection. (The arms and legs almost fit...) Even so, dropping to the bottom can be a challenge. And there's just no way I can hang out at 10-15 feet -- I cork nearly every time. If I'm below 20 feet, it's hard to keep off the bottom, too. And neutral buoyancy is a dream I'll never realize. Oh yeah, and it's hard to vent the suit properly.

I know 'tis a poor workman who blames his tools, so I've been trying to live with the thing. Blaming myself, even, and presuming that it's poor drysuit skills on my part. My wife has insisted, repeatedly, that I'd be better off diving wet than dealing with the suit. I've been resisting, but if I dive between now and when my new suit comes in (can't be soon enough!) I probably will just dive wet.

By contrast, the DUI suit I dove fits. I sank, very easily, with 30 pounds. I maintained neutral buoyancy pretty easily, and didn't cork even at 8 feet. I felt like a diver, not a struggling moron.
lizard0924
Submariner

Post by lizard0924 »

psundquist wrote:I was wondering what color(s) you picked out with the fashion consultant.
You? Wondering about colors? What have you done with the real Paul?
Liz

www.lizsundquist.com

Holy cow! I'm the Godzilla of the underworld, apparently. ~ JenBowes
I'm going to tie my spool off on your manifold and ride you like a manatee! ~ Scottsax
Lundy will forever be known as The Guy Touching Richard's Thong. ~ Spatman