compressor yearly costs

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
spatman
I've Got Gills

compressor yearly costs

Post by spatman »

for you folks that run your own compressors, i was wondering how much it costs your per year to maintain. filters and such, but not including O2 and He. if you have a ballpark as to how many cubic feet you run through it per year or average month, that would help too.

and before you say it, i know it's not very cost effective when you factor in the initial costs, it's more for the convenience, etc etc...

this is mostly for my curiosity. mostly. ;)
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Re: compressor yearly costs

Post by CaptnJack »

$10/hr or so if you blow off gas analysis.
180cf/hr roughly $0.05/cf
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
rcontrera
Aquaphile

Post by rcontrera »

I had posted the following a couple of years ago on another board:

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Owning a compressor is usually not a thing that you jump into to save money. Last time I calculated it out, a single 80 cost about $2.92 to fill ... not including the cost of the compressor itself. It is more of a convenience thing or just knowing the quality of your breathing gas.

Since the "average" diver only does about 25 dives per year, I don't suggest dropping the bucks or taking the time to run a compressor system at home. However, if the LDS is a ways off, or just pumps smelly air, or you regularly travel with a dozen tanks to your favorite dive spot, then a compressor might be for you.

Take note ... running a compressor is not something you do without learning something about your system. You are dealing with high pressures that can make pieces of machinery come unglued if you don't take care of that machinery. Regular oil and filter changes are a MUST!

OK ... that said ... small personal compressors are great for filling individual divers' cylinders. Most are not rated for constant run so must used on one tank at a time and be shut off after a couple of hours to cool down before running again. For our little gas powered guys, that means filling about six tanks before shutting down for an hour or so.

No matter which compressor you get, make sure that it is outfitted with a pressure maintaining valve (commonly called a priority valve). It maintains a back pressure on the filtration system and increases the efficiency of the mechanical filter as well as the chemical filter stack.

If you are running a gasoline driven compressor, make sure that you use the triplex filters. They contain a desiccant to remove oil and water, a CO absorber to convert deadly Carbon Monoxide into relatively harmless CO2 and activated charcoal to remove taste and smell. These filters cost more than the standard duplex cartridges but the peace of mind is worth it.

Again, with the gasoline model, make sure that it comes with a "snorkel" on the inlet. This will allow you to hang the inlet filter a few feet away from the engine exhaust to minimize chances of contaminating the air.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope this helps!
Jeff Kruse
Compulsive Diver

Post by Jeff Kruse »

Compressors don’t save you money… Bla Bla Bla… I have heard it all before. Mine has saved me a bundle of money.

It’s a RIX SA6 and I have a home built re-packable filter. I repack the filter every 25 – 40 hours (at 80 degrees F and about 3CFM) and that costs less than $20 for the 13X, charcoal, and pads. I have over 400 hours since I got the compressor and had Steve Rokicki give it major overhaul for around $500. I’ll need the 3rd stage rings replaced soon and probably second stage valves (that’s why I am pumping at only 3cfm)

I have pumped mostly nitrox and some 21/35. I have filled close to 1200 tanks, 600 of them nitrox and 200 of them trimix fills. My O2 at the time cost 10 cents a CF or 80cents or less a tank. Since I Continuous Blended I only paid for the gas I used!!!!

Richard, why is it costing you $10 an hour?
deep diver
Pelagic

Post by deep diver »

Mine costs $1.50- $2.00 per fill. That includes gas, oils, filters and maintenance. Not the price of the compressor. As much as I dive it has taken around 2-2 1/2 years to pay for the compressor. The next big cost will be when it needs to be rebuilt. Hopefully 4-5 years before that needs done. The biggest plus for me is living in PT area is being able to get air when I need it as you never know when the shops will be open. Also I can take it with me on a bigger boat or in the back of the truck for several days of diving.
It's a good day.... nobody died!
Jeff Kruse
Compulsive Diver

Post by Jeff Kruse »

Also, I fill my HP tanks to 4000psi every time.
camerone
Submariner

Post by camerone »

All will be revealed with the mighty search button:

http://www.nwdiveclub.com/viewtopic.php?t=10392

-C
There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots...
Jeff Kruse
Compulsive Diver

Post by Jeff Kruse »

That link says I am not authorised to read that forum.?
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Jeff Kruse wrote:That link says I am not authorised to read that forum.?
You need to opt-in to the technical forum. I don't recall how to do that anymore, user controls?
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
spatman
I've Got Gills

compressor yearly costs

Post by spatman »

CaptnJack wrote:
Jeff Kruse wrote:That link says I am not authorised to read that forum.?
You need to opt-in to the technical forum. I don't recall how to do that anymore, user controls?
User control panel > groups. I think there's a manage groups option. I'll look when i'm in front of a computer.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

camerone wrote:All will be revealed with the mighty search button:

http://www.nwdiveclub.com/viewtopic.php?t=10392

-C
thanks, i forgot about that thread.
Jeff Kruse
Compulsive Diver

Post by Jeff Kruse »