Golem Gear

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
funkydiver
Frequent Bubbler

Golem Gear

Post by funkydiver »

I got to dive a backplate/wing rig (DSS Hog Set-up) over the weekend and fell in love... luckily the Family Finance Committee (Oregondiver) has approved the expenditure of scuba credits on a new rig. I've been chatting up a few folks and Golem Gear recieved high marks for quality and customer services. To top that off, they have a screaming good deal on a backplate/wing package going right now. So, does anyone have any experience with Golem Gear backplate/wing set-ups? Likes/dislikes?

Inquiring minds with scuba credits to spend would like to know. \:D/

Thanks!

jim
Growing old is mandatory... Growing up is optional
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Re: Golem Gear

Post by Dashrynn »

funkydiver wrote:I got to dive a backplate/wing rig (DSS Hog Set-up) over the weekend and fell in love... luckily the Family Finance Committee (Oregondiver) has approved the expenditure of scuba credits on a new rig. I've been chatting up a few folks and Golem Gear recieved high marks for quality and customer services. To top that off, they have a screaming good deal on a backplate/wing package going right now. So, does anyone have any experience with Golem Gear backplate/wing set-ups? Likes/dislikes?

Inquiring minds with scuba credits to spend would like to know. \:D/

Thanks!

jim

I know myself and april dive one. I have no complaints except when going from bcd to backplate i noticed the "bat wings" the bladder makes. But thats just a personal preference, its a nice build and held up the 50 or more dives that i have dove it.
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Golem Gear wings are really fine products, and are built like TANKS - real strong construction designed to tolerate virtually any kind of abuse. Jakub, the owner, also prides himself on great customer service, and is generally the one that answers the phone if he's not off diving! Good man and good products!

I dive a Golem Gear wing on my rebreather - too bad I didn't know you were interested in Golem Gear wings - you could've taken a good close look at the way that it's made at the club dive!

BTW, everything that I said above also goes for Deep Sea Supply wings, another good product line and great customer service from Tobin.

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

dave (ORdiver) has that rig. shoot him a PM if he doesn't see this thread.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I know several people diving GG rigs who are very happy with them, and Jakub certainly puts some screaming deals out the door. If you want to deal locally, Scott Christopher is a dealer for HOG rigs, which are also reasonably priced and appear to be good value. And, of course, Peter and I dive DSS, largely because of Tobin's customer service.

It's a great world where we have so many good choices.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

DSS makes excellent gear. I hear good things about Hog as well. But Golem has a special place in my heart- I've owned their singles rig and their doubles rig in the past, and absolutely loved them both. I'm currently diving an oxycheq wing on my Meg, but when it comes time to replace it, I'll probably be going with the Golem CCR wing.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Ken G
I've Got Gills

Post by Ken G »

Golem wing are some of the toughest well made wings I have ever used. That said I found the singles wing to be way to big for a single 7" tank. The Golem 35lb single wing I used was closer to the size of my doubles wings than the singles wing's I have experience with in the same lift capacity.
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

Ken G wrote:Golem wing are some of the toughest well made wings I have ever used. That said I found the singles wing to be way to big for a single 7" tank. The Golem 35lb single wing I used was closer to the size of my doubles wings than the singles wing's I have experience with in the same lift capacity.
I feel the same way, glad you could put it in words i could not.
funkydiver
Frequent Bubbler

Post by funkydiver »

Dashrynn wrote:
Ken G wrote:Golem wing are some of the toughest well made wings I have ever used. That said I found the singles wing to be way to big for a single 7" tank. The Golem 35lb single wing I used was closer to the size of my doubles wings than the singles wing's I have experience with in the same lift capacity.
I feel the same way, glad you could put it in words i could not.
Thanks for all the info everyone :notworthy:

Follow-up question for Ken and Dashrynn (or anyone else that wants to chime in): How big is "too big"? I can't find any specs on the GG wing, but the DSS wing looks to be 18x26 and looks sort of pear shaped. The GG wing looks more rounded (both the horseshoe and donut types). So, is the issue with GG wings (1) the extra material flaps a bit and is slightly annoying and/or (2) with the larger size it is more difficult to fully empty the wing of air? In short, is the wing being too large an issue that impacts performance, or one of personal preference?

Thanks again for all the help!

jim
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

funkydiver wrote:In short, is the wing being too large an issue that impacts performance, or one of personal preference?
It impacts performance but incrementally. If you were shortie & AL80 in the tropics diver then something in the 18-25lb range feels like nothing. But that's too small for a 8" diameter steel tank and steel plate around here. Likewise a 50lb "single" wing is silly overkill here. Any bungies and drawcords the manufacturer puts on there are just kludges to make an oversized wing the correct size. For single steel tank diving in Puget Sound most people are happy with a wing built for a single tank that's in the 30-40lb lift range. Within the pool of single tank wings, don't get too hung up on 1" wider or longer etc.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
no excuses
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by no excuses »

I know that ORdive(Dave) dives one and it is a great looking unit. As far as I know he has never had any problems with it.
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

You can't go wrong with either Golem Gear or DSS!
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

CaptnJack wrote: don't get too hung up on 1" wider or longer etc.
Really? No one? Maybe it's just too easy . . .
Kelly
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

ktb wrote:
Oh what the hell, TWSS!
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
funkydiver
Frequent Bubbler

Post by funkydiver »

ktb wrote:
Oh, okay Kelly...

:uh: Seems like 1" wider or longer would, necessarily, get hung up... just sayin
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

IMNSHO, it all comes down to technique and experience, regardless of the topic.
:)
Kelly
funkydiver
Frequent Bubbler

Post by funkydiver »

ktb wrote:IMNSHO, it all comes down to technique and experience, regardless of the topic.
=D>
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

ktb wrote:IMNSHO, it all comes down to technique and experience, regardless of the topic.

No, no, NO. Cool-looking gear will completely compensate for lack of skill and knowledge, every time. Duh. Haven't you learned anything here?
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
whatevah
Aquanaut

Post by whatevah »

Tangfish wrote:You can't go wrong with either Golem Gear or DSS!
I would add Oxycheq - been pretty happy with mine.
“When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” -- John Muir
Ken G
I've Got Gills

Post by Ken G »

whatevah wrote:
Tangfish wrote:You can't go wrong with either Golem Gear or DSS!
I would add Oxycheq - been pretty happy with mine.
I love my Oxycheq wings. Highly recommended. Also the DSS is mighty nice too.
funkydiver
Frequent Bubbler

Post by funkydiver »

Thanks to everyone for the advice and special thanks to Spatty for the offline advice... you all are the best! :notworthy:

In the end I went with an Oxycheq Mach V Signature 30lb. wing, with a Dive Rite Deluxe harness and SS plate and a Seasoft weight harness... super excited to get the gear and head out to dive it :bounceline:

See you under water!!

jim