Neck seal question

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Alexitt
Submariner

Neck seal question

Post by Alexitt »

Lately my neck seal has been giving me what feels like a raw red rash under my beard and looks like a hangmans rope burn. It's fairly painful for a few days then heals up enough to dive again, one dive generally doesn't cause a problem but after 2-3 it starts to bother me. It's an older Oneil neoprene but the seal appears fine and doesn't seem to have any bad spots that would cause the chaffing. Don't bother suggesting latex as I have a severe allergy to it... What I'm wondering is will vaseline or some other lubricant harm the neoprene or is there some type of product that will help because I REALLY don't want to go back to a wetsuit.... Any suggestions or advice would be most appreciated (except shaving off the beard, even my wife of 29 years has never seen my face nekkid) :eek:
-Alex-

"so in the interest of advising something...let's see..."the early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!" -Eliseaboo

cardiver
I've Got Gills

Re: Neck seal question

Post by cardiver »

Alexitt wrote:Lately my neck seal has been giving me what feels like a raw red rash under my beard and looks like a hangmans rope burn. It's fairly painful for a few days then heals up enough to dive again, one dive generally doesn't cause a problem but after 2-3 it starts to bother me. It's an older Oneil neoprene but the seal appears fine and doesn't seem to have any bad spots that would cause the chaffing. Don't bother suggesting latex as I have a severe allergy to it... What I'm wondering is will vaseline or some other lubricant harm the neoprene or is there some type of product that will help because I REALLY don't want to go back to a wetsuit.... Any suggestions or advice would be most appreciated (except shaving off the beard, even my wife of 29 years has never seen my face nekkid) :eek:
KY jelly.......
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef »

or seal saver if you could find it, i went to 3 shops and didnt see any.
Chin high, puffed chest, we step right to it
The choice is there ain't no choice but to pursue it

"Diving the gas is the easy part, not much to it, plenty of retards are using it safely. " jamieZ
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

You could try the Apollo Bioseal It's a silicone ring you put around your neck to prevent the seal form coming in contact with your neck. Vaseline or any petroleum product cannot be used on neoprene or latex for that mater.
Alexitt
Submariner

Post by Alexitt »

Thanks... I could probably find some ky around here somewhere... Do any of the shops up north here carry the bioseal? or is it something best ordered online? And I figured the petroleum based products probably weren't a good idea but I had to ask just in case I was wrong...
-Alex-

"so in the interest of advising something...let's see..."the early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!" -Eliseaboo

Blaiz
Pelagic

Post by Blaiz »

owwie like this? try lots of baby powder or KY jelly, and sooner or later you'll get a gorgeous callus on your neck like mine
2010_0722cameranew0004.JPG
and i don't have a beard to hide it under! :neener:
The student was ready.

it's nice to have low expectations, sometimes - lcf

I said keep going, not start whining -airsix
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

Blaiz wrote:owwie like this? try lots of baby powder or KY jelly, and sooner or later you'll get a gorgeous callus on your neck like mine
Good to know (about not having a beard)..... :neener:
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
Blaiz
Pelagic

Post by Blaiz »

cardiver wrote:
Blaiz wrote:owwie like this? try lots of baby powder or KY jelly, and sooner or later you'll get a gorgeous callus on your neck like mine
yup... that's what my tweezers are for! :boxer:
The student was ready.

it's nice to have low expectations, sometimes - lcf

I said keep going, not start whining -airsix
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Post by Pinkpadigal »

You may have an allergy to latex. You could also replace the latex seal with a neoprene seal.
Amy Rhodes
PADI Master Instructor #183890
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
http://www.a2zscuba.com
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

I am allergic to latex (let the jokes begin). I confirmed it with a blood test. For some reason, neoprene seals irritate my neck more than latex ones do. Anything rubber-like is likely to irritate me though (let the jokes continue....)
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

The Underwater Sports at 104th and Aurora has bioseals. They work quite nicely under neoprene seals, even though they feel like a nasty alien creature is wrapped around your neck.

Another suggestion would be Bag Balm. I use it under my latex seal when I get seal burns.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
-Aaron-
Dive-aholic

Post by -Aaron- »

I used to use conditioner to help keep my neck from getting a rash.

I recently switched to body glide (http://www.bodyglide.com/#/products/anti-chafe). It is made for runners and triathletes and looks something like a clear deodorant stick. So far it seems to work well. It is less messy than conditioner and seems plenty slippery. If you have a local running or triathlon store you might check for it there.
whatevah
Aquanaut

Post by whatevah »

Alexitt wrote:Lately my neck seal has been giving me what feels like a raw red rash under my beard
I guess the first question I'd ask is, what changed? Have you gained or lost weight? Changed the way you trim your beard? Has to be some reason for this problem to suddenly arise - maybe you can isolate it and address it directly.
“When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” -- John Muir
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

A bio seal will eat your neckseal up in pretty short order. And neo seals are sorta spendy to put on and you'll be giving your suit up for a while to get it done. Who asked "what changed?" That's where you should start. This is the first time I've heard of this kind of thing while using a neoprene neck seal though.... Hmmmm... Most of the people I've known who've had this problem (myself included) have solved it by A) switching to Seal Saver (if you can't find it PM me... Our shop has TON'S) and/or B) (this cured it for me) makeing sure their hoods neck did not fit so tight it wouldn't allow the neck seal to move under it, making it drag across the neck every time they/I turned their/my head.
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Alexitt wrote:Lately my neck seal has been giving me what feels like a raw red rash under my beard and looks like a hangmans rope burn. It's fairly painful for a few days then heals up enough to dive again, one dive generally doesn't cause a problem but after 2-3 it starts to bother me. It's an older Oneil neoprene but the seal appears fine and doesn't seem to have any bad spots that would cause the chaffing. Don't bother suggesting latex as I have a severe allergy to it... What I'm wondering is will vaseline or some other lubricant harm the neoprene or is there some type of product that will help because I REALLY don't want to go back to a wetsuit.... Any suggestions or advice would be most appreciated (except shaving off the beard, even my wife of 29 years has never seen my face nekkid) :eek:
One question and one suggestion....

Question: Have you lately been diving with more than one buddy at a time? The reason I ask this is because with more than one buddy divers find themselves in the situation in which they are see-sawing their head right and left in an effort to maintain visual contact with all of their team-mates. I find that if I dive with one buddy this problem does not arise. If I dive with more than one I will inevitably get the beginnings of a rash such as you describe from moving my head back and forth. Your "new" issue just might be that simple.

Suggestion: Drop in at REI and pick up a small can of "Body Glide". Bike racers use it to protect their inner thighs from friction, and it will do the same thing for your neck. It rolls on much like a deoderant and will not harm your neck seal. You need to remember to put it on BEFORE the dive, since once the rash starts it is too late.

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you."
I just read that for the first time.... That's hilarious! Made me laugh for the first time today! Thanks!!!!!

That's an interesting observation about the team configuration and moving ones head more.... Nice!
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

+1 for seal saver. I had dives where this was becoming an issue and since I have been shown this it has changed everything. Just before slipping my head through I put some on my finger and just lube the inside of the neck seal along the top and about 1.5 inches in depth. Make sure to get good coverage. Also make sure you are rinsing your suit well; I believe salt crystals will chew the hell out of your neck regardless.
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

I think I have correlated my neck seal rash/abrasion with extended surface intervals where my neck dried out and salt crystals chafed my neck.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
lavachickie
Dive-aholic

Post by lavachickie »

Oh boy, I can just hear the jokes now when you bust out the CostCo size of KY at the dive site. Along those lines, any latex-safe personal lubricant would work. But how will this effect the integrity of the seal to keep you dry during the dive?

I tried the powder to ease the donning of the wrist seals. What a mess.

I've never dove more than two days (2-3 dives per day) in my drysuit, and at that point I had a red line but it wasn't bad. Let's see what four days in the Channel Islands looks like.
Hey Oregon Divers: check out Oregon Scuba Club! http://oregonscuba.com
Looking forward to Roatan June 2016.
Alexitt
Submariner

Post by Alexitt »

John Rawlings wrote:

Question: Have you lately been diving with more than one buddy at a time? The reason I ask this is because with more than one buddy divers find themselves in the situation in which they are see-sawing their head right and left in an effort to maintain visual contact with all of their team-mates. I find that if I dive with one buddy this problem does not arise. If I dive with more than one I will inevitably get the beginnings of a rash such as you describe from moving my head back and forth. Your "new" issue just might be that simple.

Suggestion: Drop in at REI and pick up a small can of "Body Glide". Bike racers use it to protect their inner thighs from friction, and it will do the same thing for your neck. It rolls on much like a deoderant and will not harm your neck seal. You need to remember to put it on BEFORE the dive, since once the rash starts it is too late.

- John
Actually now that you mention it I have been diving with 2-3 others more often than not lately, strangely enough right around the time this irritation started so that makes a lot of sense... And I'll take that suggestion of the "Body glide" that sounds like just the ticket and see how it works. I wasn't too keen on the idea of gels or another layer around my neck like the Bioseal. Thanks Everyone for the suggestions!!

Oh, and I too love your sig line... So true, so true...
-Alex-

Alexitt
Submariner

Post by Alexitt »

Blaiz wrote:
cardiver wrote:
yup... that's what my tweezers are for! :boxer:
Oww!! :nervous:
-Alex-

Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

Tangfish wrote:I am allergic to latex (let the jokes begin). I confirmed it with a blood test. For some reason, neoprene seals irritate my neck more than latex ones do. Anything rubber-like is likely to irritate me though (let the jokes continue....)
What do you use for a neck seal then? The dui zipseal with silicone seals?
whatevah
Aquanaut

Post by whatevah »

Alexitt wrote: Actually now that you mention it I have been diving with 2-3 others more often than not lately, strangely enough right around the time this irritation started so that makes a lot of sense... And I'll take that suggestion of the "Body glide" that sounds like just the ticket and see how it works.
I've used Body Glide under my triathlon wetsuit and it works well to prevent chaffing. But I hear that many deodorant sticks will work just as well. Maybe you can save yourself some hassles and some $$. Wait a minute - I'm an REI member and I get dividends - Body Glide is the only answer - slather it on before every dive! Tell all your friends about it!
“When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” -- John Muir
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Alexitt wrote:
John Rawlings wrote:

- John
Actually now that you mention it I have been diving with 2-3 others more often than not lately, strangely enough right around the time this irritation started so that makes a lot of sense... And I'll take that suggestion of the "Body glide" that sounds like just the ticket and see how it works. I wasn't too keen on the idea of gels or another layer around my neck like the Bioseal. Thanks Everyone for the suggestions!!

Oh, and I too love your sig line... So true, so true...
Yeah....that realization "dawned" on me one day after a few days diving with a couple of friends, one of whom had a reall "talent" for straying. I spent so much time twirling my head around looking for him that I felt like Linda Blair! I also ended up with a neck rash.

The following week I dived with just one buddy and....voila! No rash!

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/