Neck seal question

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Re: Neck seal question

Post by LCF »

I was surprised and pleased that using a lubricant/emollient under my latex seal did not affect the water-blocking quality of the seal. BTW, Bag Balm seems to help heal the neck abrasions, even while you're continuing to use the suit. And DUI says it's safe for latex (they recommend it).
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Alexitt
Submariner

Post by Alexitt »

Picked up some body glide at REI today and going to give it a shot in the AM. Seems like it ought to do the trick, the salesperson I talked to is also a diver and uses it for her neckseals as well... Oh, LCF I've a bad latex allergy so I try really hard to stay away from it... Thanks everyone for the suggestions!
-Alex-

"so in the interest of advising something...let's see..."the early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!" -Eliseaboo

John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

+1 for Bag Balm, too!
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

renoun wrote:I think I have correlated my neck seal rash/abrasion with extended surface intervals where my neck dried out and salt crystals chafed my neck.
I think this is the cause of the problem with most people.

Last year I did a 10 day trip around Vancouver Island on the Nautilus Explorer. By day three of diving my neck was almost bleeding from the seal rash. One of the dive crew suggested that I clean my neck seal after every dive with fresh water. After three days of careful attention to cleaning the seal the rash dissappeared and by the end of the trip I no longer looked like I tried to hang myself.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

John Rawlings wrote:+1 for Bag Balm, too!
so Bag Balm to heal the chafing or to lubricate the seal before diving? or both?
BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

Not sure if it bad for your neck seal or not but Bag Balm is primarily used to heal the chafing. Its a vetenary ointment they use on cow utters to ease the pain caused by milking machines.
Last edited by BillZ on Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

looks like Bag Balm contains petroleum jelly, so using it to lube your seal is not a good idea.
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

spatman wrote:looks like Bag Balm contains petroleum jelly, so using it to lube your seal is not a good idea.
Not for you or the seal.......
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

I have got a bad case right now. Guess I had too much fun over the weekend. I wasn't able to nip it in the bud with topical steroid application, guess I need to go find some bag balm.

"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

renoun wrote:I have got a bad case right now. Guess I had too much fun over the weekend. I wasn't able to nip it in the bud with topical steroid application, guess I need to go find some bag balm.

neoprene neck seal!
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
-Aaron-
Dive-aholic

Post by -Aaron- »

In my opinion skip the Bag Balm and just rub in a little bit of seal saver on the contact area right before you dive, or even the night before. It works fantastically to stop the chafing and as a bonus it keeps your seal in tip top shape. I used to get hangman's neck like crazy, now the problem is gone and my seals gleam like I just pulled them out of a showroom :P.
lavachickie
Dive-aholic

Post by lavachickie »

I started using Seal Saver on my latex wrist/neck seals a few months ago after replacing the wrist seals which were seriously degrading.

I have had NO irritation, and my gear up time has been reduced. :) The seals are easier to handle, they slide on like butter, and are easier to get sorted out and flat (neck seal anyway, never had that problem with the wrists).

Love my Seal Saver!!
Hey Oregon Divers: check out Oregon Scuba Club! http://oregonscuba.com
Looking forward to Roatan June 2016.
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

In desperation my wife and I resorted to plain old silicone grease (clear stuff in the tub) on a multi-day trip. It acts as a pretty good salve for the injury and things actually started healing and we were able to keep diving. Over time (long time) and regular use it tends to soften the seal.

I think a major component of Seal Saver is just liquid silicone.
FWIW it's a good idea to make sure your seals are really clean before you put this stuff on, otherwise it may trap potential impurities under it and actually will be worse for your seals.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

John Rawlings wrote:
Alexitt wrote:Lately my neck seal has been giving me what feels like a raw red rash under my beard and looks like a hangmans rope burn. It's fairly painful for a few days then heals up enough to dive again, one dive generally doesn't cause a problem but after 2-3 it starts to bother me. It's an older Oneil neoprene but the seal appears fine and doesn't seem to have any bad spots that would cause the chaffing. Don't bother suggesting latex as I have a severe allergy to it... What I'm wondering is will vaseline or some other lubricant harm the neoprene or is there some type of product that will help because I REALLY don't want to go back to a wetsuit.... Any suggestions or advice would be most appreciated (except shaving off the beard, even my wife of 29 years has never seen my face nekkid) :eek:
One question and one suggestion....

Question: Have you lately been diving with more than one buddy at a time? The reason I ask this is because with more than one buddy divers find themselves in the situation in which they are see-sawing their head right and left in an effort to maintain visual contact with all of their team-mates. I find that if I dive with one buddy this problem does not arise. If I dive with more than one I will inevitably get the beginnings of a rash such as you describe from moving my head back and forth. Your "new" issue just might be that simple.

I USE BODY GLIDE ITS GREAT. DON'T USE BIOSEAL ITS SILICONE AND HARD TO INSTALL A NEW SEAL AND GET THE GLUE TO STICK. IT REALLY IMPREGNATES INTO THE SUIT IF YOU USE IT ALOT. I LIKE BODY GLIDE AND ASTROGLIDE, WHICH IS BETTER THAN KY

Suggestion: Drop in at REI and pick up a small can of "Body Glide". Bike racers use it to protect their inner thighs from friction, and it will do the same thing for your neck. It rolls on much like a deoderant and will not harm your neck seal. You need to remember to put it on BEFORE the dive, since once the rash starts it is too late.

- John
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR
ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE
STAIRS.