Dry Suit Exploratory Research

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Tubesnout23
Submariner

Dry Suit Exploratory Research

Post by Tubesnout23 »

I cannot ignore the hard fact that my used Mobby's suit is now a colander beyond patching any longer. Time has come to begin my search for another drysuit.

What I like about the Mobby's is that the zipper is in the front and I can do operate it without somebody else's help and its mobility due to the fact that it is a shell suit. What I do not like about it is the fact that the boots are separate and my feet get rather cold and the flaps, zippers and Velcro straps at the bottom of my legs (totally unnecessary). I have heard and read that boots attached to a suit keep your feet warmer.

Is there a suit out there that combines what I like about the Mobby's with warmer boots and without those flaps?

I am rather disappointed with the Whites MK3 undergarment and I am wondering if a Weasel would keep me warmer...
LCF
I've Got Gills

Re: Dry Suit Exploratory Research

Post by LCF »

Well, what did you think of the Fusion? (Although it also has the problem of not having attached boots -- but if you have the fabric socks, you CAN wear wetsuit booties over them, and they're pretty warm.)

It seems as though most of the folks using the DUI laminate suits can zip themselves in and out, and they come with several options for footgear, I think. But they are very expensive.

Compressed neoprene is warmer and more durable, but heavy and really reduces flexibility, or at least mine did.

I've come to the conclusion that there is no perfect suit -- the best you can do is choose one where you can live with the downsides.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
doug7377
Avid Diver

Post by doug7377 »

i had the went throw the same thing trying to find my frist dry suit. but i picked the dui flx 50/50 best of both worlds and they have a factory outlet were the suit are hafe off or more look try that http://www.dui-online.com/fr.htm
msmith80
Just Settling In

Post by msmith80 »

Bare also carries a Trilam you can get with attached hard sole boots... front or rear entry and costs less than the DUI
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

I've liked my Diving Concepts Z-Flex Cordura suit. Boots are integral to the suit. Zipper is in front. The only strap is a crotch strap to pull up slack. Very easy to don and doff without assistance. Once I got accustomed to it, my first dry suit, it wasn't any more restrictive than a wet suit. As my body tells me it doesn't like the cold as much as it used to I don't wear it very much any more. But, it has been a tough suit that has resisted urchin spines and edges in wrecks very well and almost without marks.

Mayby not for you. But definitely worth a look.
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

One thing I'd say about Diving Concepts -- unless they have changed their line, they don't make any stock suit that will fit somebody Betty's size (or mine). And after my absolutely nightmare experience with a DC custom suit, I would STRONGLY advise her against trying to buy a custom suit from them.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

LCF wrote:absolutely nightmare experience with a DC custom suit, I would STRONGLY advise her against trying to buy a custom suit from them.
To listen to you would be very wise.
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
PapaZ
Compulsive Diver

Post by PapaZ »

If you are wanting integrated boots, be sure they are heavy enough to give you the support needed. I use an older DUI 350 (shell type) with integrated boots, but they are not nearly as supportive (ankles) as 'rock boots'. Soles are not as thick either.

PapaZ
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

BTW, Betty, the DC suit I ended up with (which I didn't like because I didn't like the material, and it was a little too long in the legs) is now for sale -- do you want contact information for the woman who has it? As far as I know, there isn't anything wrong with it, she just wants to buy something else.
no excuses
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by no excuses »

USIA also sells shell suits with the boots attached with a front entry option
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

Sorry you had a bad experience with a Diving Concepts custom suit. From what I have hear problems with custom suits regardless of the manufacturer seem to be common. But, if you have to, you have to.
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
whatevah
Aquanaut

Post by whatevah »

I dive a Bare HD Trilaminate Tech drysuit. It's a few years old now and much the worse for wear - but I really don't have any major complaints about it. It is front entry, dries quickly and has been quite comfortable. It has a neoprene neck seal and latex wrist seals. The boots are the attached style that you are looking for Betty. The only issue I've had with it is that the external layer of the suit material is not very abrasion resistant - some areas have gotten pinched and rubbed by my harness, weight belt etc and tiny leaks have developed. Easily repaired of course, but I wish the material were better able to withstand the beating I give the suit. I've noticed that Bare has updated the suit and is now using a much coarser grade of goretex type material which I feel will last much better. My feet don't get cold, and I don't mind the extra pocket of air in the attached boots. But, I have had problems with essentially kicking the boots right off my feet when working hard in heavy current - the back of the boot tends to slip off the back of my heels and then the fin wants to slip off. I had one particularly memorable instance of this when diving a pinnacle off the south end of Lopez Island - the current was not behaving the way I'd hoped and I was quite deep and working really hard - had pretty much decided to give it up and try again another time when one of my boots slipped off my heel a little and the fin popped off and started floating away with the current - had to swim hard to catch up with it with the remaining fin - it sucked. This has been resolved for the most part by adding some rubber straps which hold the boot on my foot a little tighter. Still - I'm seriously considering rock boots for my next suit. I also end up using my suit diving some fairly difficult to access sites - rivers running through steep rocky canyons etc, and the rock boots are definitely more supportive and safer for hiking in. My suit has the built-in gaiter thingies - I don't think they really do anything for me, but they haven't been a liability either.
“When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” -- John Muir
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

My experience with DC was similar ... nice suit, poor customer service. It's the only reason I didn't look at them for a replacement suit.

I'd echo those who encourage you to look at the Bare trilam ... but whatever suit you eventually decide on, the most important feature is a good fit.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Sabre_Rider
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Sabre_Rider »

I also have a Mobby's suit, front entry. Mine however has the boots attached and same with my girlfriends Mobby's although hers is rear entry. I love the suit. I got one of those $79.00 ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWAX:IT undergarments and as long as I have enough weight on to keep the squeeze down, I have yet to get cold. As far as the boots go, I wear a pair of heavy polyprope socks, the ones that say they wick the moisture away from your skin and my feet stay warm to, again I think it has a lot to do with some air space in the boot around your foot. The last dive I did, I got rid of some weight, too much actually as I couldn't stay down when the tank got low, but that dive I got cold on, so back in goes the weight, and I stay comfy. I'll buy another front entry Mobby's when mine wears out. Have no reason to change to something else.

Here is a website to purchase Mobby's

http://www.wolfhazmat.de/diving_mobbys.htm
Do you want to add years to your life, or life to your years?
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Betty's Mobby's suit started with attached boots -- I had them changed out for neoprene socks before she bought it :)
Tubesnout23
Submariner

Post by Tubesnout23 »

LCF wrote:BTW, Betty, the DC suit I ended up with (which I didn't like because I didn't like the material, and it was a little too long in the legs) is now for sale -- do you want contact information for the woman who has it? As far as I know, there isn't anything wrong with it, she just wants to buy something else.
Do you think I could try it without committing myself to buy it? I wouldn't mind to give it a shot.
Tubesnout23
Submariner

Post by Tubesnout23 »

whatevah wrote:I dive a Bare HD Trilaminate Tech drysuit. It's a few years old now and much the worse for wear - but I really don't have any major complaints about it. It is front entry, dries quickly and has been quite comfortable. It has a neoprene neck seal and latex wrist seals. The boots are the attached style that you are looking for Betty. The only issue I've had with it is that the external layer of the suit material is not very abrasion resistant - some areas have gotten pinched and rubbed by my harness, weight belt etc and tiny leaks have developed. Easily repaired of course, but I wish the material were better able to withstand the beating I give the suit. I've noticed that Bare has updated the suit and is now using a much coarser grade of goretex type material which I feel will last much better. My feet don't get cold, and I don't mind the extra pocket of air in the attached boots. But, I have had problems with essentially kicking the boots right off my feet when working hard in heavy current - the back of the boot tends to slip off the back of my heels and then the fin wants to slip off. I had one particularly memorable instance of this when diving a pinnacle off the south end of Lopez Island - the current was not behaving the way I'd hoped and I was quite deep and working really hard - had pretty much decided to give it up and try again another time when one of my boots slipped off my heel a little and the fin popped off and started floating away with the current - had to swim hard to catch up with it with the remaining fin - it sucked. This has been resolved for the most part by adding some rubber straps which hold the boot on my foot a little tighter. Still - I'm seriously considering rock boots for my next suit. I also end up using my suit diving some fairly difficult to access sites - rivers running through steep rocky canyons etc, and the rock boots are definitely more supportive and safer for hiking in. My suit has the built-in gaiter thingies - I don't think they really do anything for me, but they haven't been a liability either.
Uauh! What a hell of a dive! I don't know what to choose anymore: boots attached to the suit or separate rock boots?
Tubesnout23
Submariner

Post by Tubesnout23 »

Grateful Diver wrote:My experience with DC was similar ... nice suit, poor customer service. It's the only reason I didn't look at them for a replacement suit.

I'd echo those who encourage you to look at the Bare trilam ... but whatever suit you eventually decide on, the most important feature is a good fit.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
I am wondering if there is somebody here (female, small and skinny, well even a small skinny guy 5 feet and few inches tall could do too..) who has the Bare trilam. that I could try...

Bob,

Could I try Cheng's Fusion again at Keystone October 24th?

During that weekend I will also try a Weasel undergarment...but I have to say that I feel that the Arctic Fourth Element may be the right undergarment for me...
Tubesnout23
Submariner

Post by Tubesnout23 »

Sabre_Rider wrote:I also have a Mobby's suit, front entry. Mine however has the boots attached and same with my girlfriends Mobby's although hers is rear entry. I love the suit. I got one of those $79.00 ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWAX:IT undergarments and as long as I have enough weight on to keep the squeeze down, I have yet to get cold. As far as the boots go, I wear a pair of heavy polyprope socks, the ones that say they wick the moisture away from your skin and my feet stay warm to, again I think it has a lot to do with some air space in the boot around your foot. The last dive I did, I got rid of some weight, too much actually as I couldn't stay down when the tank got low, but that dive I got cold on, so back in goes the weight, and I stay comfy. I'll buy another front entry Mobby's when mine wears out. Have no reason to change to something else.

I thought that new Mobby's suits were not on the market anymore...

If that muscular guy is you on your avatar I don't think that your undergarment would be warm enough for me. I don't know what it is maybe skinny women have a different metabolism or physiology than slim men...
whatevah
Aquanaut

Post by whatevah »

Tubesnout23 wrote:I don't know what to choose anymore: boots attached to the suit or separate rock boots?
Well, the rock boots seem pretty good to me when I've tried them - very practical. They do take longer to don/doff, but that's not generally a big deal. If you could figure out a way to keep your feet warm in them that might be the ideal situation. More/thicker socks? Special socks made from wool or fleece, or even primaloft or similar? In general, your extremities will stay warm enough if you keep your core warm - so maybe reducing your overall heat loss will pay off at your feet too - I know you mentioned trying some new undergarments.
“When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” -- John Muir
whatevah
Aquanaut

Post by whatevah »

Tubesnout23 wrote:I don't know what it is maybe skinny women have a different metabolism or physiology than slim men...
Studies have shown that the sympathetic nervous system is more responsive in men than in women. One of the functions of that system is vasoconstriction of blood vessels which limits flow to extremities when it is cold, shunting flow to the critical organs and keeping them warm preferentially. Women are typically smaller also - more surface area for their volume. So I think it's normal to expect that women should lose more heat to our cold waters when diving. You're also very slender and don't have much subcutaneous fat for insulation. That makes a big difference - have noticed it myself as I've trained more in the past year - I'm noticing the cold much more than I used to :(
Sabre_Rider
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Sabre_Rider »

Tubesnout23 wrote:
Sabre_Rider wrote:I also have a Mobby's suit, front entry. Mine however has the boots attached and same with my girlfriends Mobby's although hers is rear entry. I love the suit. I got one of those $79.00 ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWAX:IT undergarments and as long as I have enough weight on to keep the squeeze down, I have yet to get cold. As far as the boots go, I wear a pair of heavy polyprope socks, the ones that say they wick the moisture away from your skin and my feet stay warm to, again I think it has a lot to do with some air space in the boot around your foot. The last dive I did, I got rid of some weight, too much actually as I couldn't stay down when the tank got low, but that dive I got cold on, so back in goes the weight, and I stay comfy. I'll buy another front entry Mobby's when mine wears out. Have no reason to change to something else.

I thought that new Mobby's suits were not on the market anymore...

If that muscular guy is you on your avatar I don't think that your undergarment would be warm enough for me. I don't know what it is maybe skinny women have a different metabolism or physiology than slim men...

LOL, muscular guy? The avatar is me, but maybe my leathers make me look bigger than I am. I'm 6'2" and about 175lbs. So thin also, and am prone to get cold easy. And that undersuit is easily double the thickness of my girlfriends USIA exotherm II which when I purchased off ebay, I thought was a 3. Oh well, I think I'm going to get her one like mine, it isn't as pretty, but hey it works for me.
Do you want to add years to your life, or life to your years?
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

no excuses wrote:USIA also sells shell suits with the boots attached with a front entry option
like stan said, USIA makes fine suits for the money. lightweight, comfortable, well-built, locally made (well, local for us - oregon, but real close to the WA border).

i bought a used USIA as my first suit and beat the heck out of it. it's lasted through many dives, and still gets use as a backup. Norris can attest to that, since he was just using it for several weeks while his was being repaired.

i'd recommend trying one out if you can. there's a shop down here that rents them, maybe there's one somewhere up there as well.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I think one of the problems with rock boots is that you have to lace them up fairly tight to have them be secure, and lacing them up tight diminishes the insulting properties of whatever you have on your feet for warmth.

My feet got horrible cold with my CTs and my Evo boots and the other footgear I tried OVER my Fusion socks, but they don't get cold at all with the Turbosoles, because my fluffy socks are FLUFFY inside them.

Betty, I'm sure Elissa would send the suit up here for you to try, if you were willing to pay shipping on it. (It's in Monterey.)
ORDiver
Aquanaut

Post by ORDiver »

I have a Pinnacle Freedom suit. It's coming up on 100 dives with no problems, even after dragging myself up the jetties down here in Oregon. They're pretty reasonably priced and you can get attached boots or neoprene socks. I have the neoprene socks with rock boots. I wear thick wool socks and my feet stay pretty warm but that's just me.

The new version is the "Freedom 2" which has the front zipper.

Here's a link if interested:

http://www.zeagle.com/pinnacle/showprod ... Freedom-2/

Check out the size chart. They have stock sizes to fit very small people too.