Dry Suit Exploratory Research

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Tubesnout23
Submariner

Re: Dry Suit Exploratory Research

Post by Tubesnout23 »

LCF wrote:I think one of the problems with rock boots is that you have to lace them up fairly tight to have them be secure, and lacing them up tight diminishes the insulting properties of whatever you have on your feet for warmth.

My feet got horrible cold with my CTs and my Evo boots and the other footgear I tried OVER my Fusion socks, but they don't get cold at all with the Turbosoles, because my fluffy socks are FLUFFY inside them.

Betty, I'm sure Elissa would send the suit up here for you to try, if you were willing to pay shipping on it. (It's in Monterey.)
I have been using merino wool socks and they are not working, especially now that the water is getting colder. I would like to try the kind that you use: the Turbosoles. If those don't work I will have to consider to buy electric socks!

About trying your friend's dry suit I pass it. I don't want to go through the hassle of dealing with shipping.
Thank you anyway!
kagey747
Avid Diver

Post by kagey747 »

Betty, I'm diving a Bare HD trilam with attached boots and will buy another when it's time to replace it. I have had no problems with my feet coming out of the boot during heavy finning, so maybe its a factor of fit or what kind of sock you use. I use heavy wool boot socks normally and have never had cold feet with them. I also have a DUI with rock boots and while they are superior for long walks/scrambles, my next suit will still be a Bare with attached boots. As for keeping warm, find what works for you in undergarments and keep in mind that a neo neckseal, while being a lot tougher, is also a lot warmer.
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

If you wanna stay warm under any circumstance with minimal undergarments, give Eric at HighTide a call. You'll get no pressure jsut a lot of great useful information.
1-253-857-0755
It may take more than simply any old built in boot to keep your feet warm.
There are huge differences between.... Let say a usia boot, a Hightide boot and a neoprene sock you put rock boots over.
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
Tubesnout23
Submariner

Post by Tubesnout23 »

Thanks Folks! I am still pondering the idea of buying another used suit. I still cannot see myself spending so much money in a new one... :eek:

Right now I am busy fixing the biggest leak ever... :extinguishflame: ;)
Sabre_Rider
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Sabre_Rider »

Tubesnout23 wrote:Thanks Folks! I am still pondering the idea of buying another used suit. I still cannot see myself spending so much money in a new one... :eek:

Right now I am busy fixing the biggest leak ever... :extinguishflame: ;)

I agree, and why pay so much. Maybe I got lucky, but my front entry mobbys was $300 on ebay, and my girlfriends I got for a whopping $70.00. Both have attached boots that I've never had cold feet in, and work very well. Both suits if used, they were used very little, couple of dives tops. Worth a try..............
Do you want to add years to your life, or life to your years?
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Indian Valley Scuba has a small Fusion, new, on sale for $799 . . .http://www.indianvalleyscuba.com/home%2 ... arance.pdf
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Tubesnout23
Submariner

Post by Tubesnout23 »

LCF wrote:Indian Valley Scuba has a small Fusion, new, on sale for $799 . . .http://www.indianvalleyscuba.com/home%2 ... arance.pdf
Thanks Lynne! I will check it out!
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Went back and looked again -- I was in error; the one for $799 is used. But it's a small.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Biodiversity_Guy
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Biodiversity_Guy »

As far as boots go, I have had socks in both my dry suits. My first suit, USIA, I used wetsuit boots which worked well for warmth, and ok for walking.

With my new suit , White Fusion Bullet, I got the whites evo hard boots http://whitesdiving.com/sport-diving/evo-3-boots/
and am enjoying them a lot. Good warmth and good ankle support.
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

It doesn't sound like I'm as small and skinny as you (I’m 5’7” and ~160 lbs.), but you can certainly try-on my front-zip Bare HD Trilam Tech drysuit at the Club Dive. I wear a Bare undergarment, and my suit is quite form-fitting, so it might be big for you but not overly so. I only have the one suit, but if it fits and you want to try diving it, I can let you borrow it while I'm in Hawaii the first week of November.

It came with attached boots but I had the same problem with my feet coming out when I had to fin hard, so I replaced them with neo socks and Bare boots. Even with lacing up the boots, my Weezel booties keep my toes toasty. (They get plenty of air--sometimes too much, and I'm thinking about gaitors.)
Kelly
Tubesnout23
Submariner

Post by Tubesnout23 »

ktb wrote:It doesn't sound like I'm as small and skinny as you (I’m 5’7” and ~160 lbs.), but you can certainly try-on my front-zip Bare HD Trilam Tech drysuit at the Club Dive. I wear a Bare undergarment, and my suit is quite form-fitting, so it might be big for you but not overly so. I only have the one suit, but if it fits and you want to try diving it, I can let you borrow it while I'm in Hawaii the first week of November.

It came with attached boots but I had the same problem with my feet coming out when I had to fin hard, so I replaced them with neo socks and Bare boots. Even with lacing up the boots, my Weezel booties keep my toes toasty. (They get plenty of air--sometimes too much, and I'm thinking about gaitors.)
Thank you very much for the offer.

Do you wear dry gloves and which kind? I use OS Systems.

What size of fins do you wear?

Cheers
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

I don't use dry gloves, as my 5mm wet gloves keep my hands toasty.

I'm confused re: fins. Wouldn't you use your own?
Kelly
Tubesnout23
Submariner

Post by Tubesnout23 »

ktb wrote:I don't use dry gloves, as my 5mm wet gloves keep my hands toasty.

Sorry originally I was trying to figure out if your boots would have fit my fins (they are XL). Now I realize that I don't have to wear your boots to try the suit.

Wet gloves? I wish I were like you...You don't seem to need much to keep yourself warm! I dived to 70ft in a lake for the first time yesterday and the temperature was down to 41F. Despite wearing the dry gloves my hands were were freezing after 10 minutes!
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

So . . . do you still want to try it on, at least? I'll be at Cove 2 tomorrow, or we can arrange something for Sunday.
Kelly
Sabre_Rider
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Sabre_Rider »

Tubesnout23 wrote:

Sorry originally I was trying to figure out if your boots would have fit my fins (they are XL). Now I realize that I don't have to wear your boots to try the suit.

Wet gloves? I wish I were like you...You don't seem to need much to keep yourself warm! I dived to 70ft in a lake for the first time yesterday and the temperature was down to 41F. Despite wearing the dry gloves my hands were were freezing after 10 minutes!

I use the OMS "THE ULTIMATE DRY SUIT GLOVE™", my hands don't get cold, never have. My main dive buddy uses dry gloves, and IMHO they are too much hassle, leaks, and such, not to mention hands still getting cold. Now I'll catch flak from him for that one! :neener: The OMS Gloves work for me.

http://www.omsdive.com/dryacces.html
Tubesnout23
Submariner

Post by Tubesnout23 »

Sabre_Rider wrote:
Tubesnout23 wrote:

I use the OMS "THE ULTIMATE DRY SUIT GLOVE™", my hands don't get cold, never have. My main dive buddy uses dry gloves, and IMHO they are too much hassle, leaks, and such, not to mention hands still getting cold. Now I'll catch flak from him for that one! :neener: The OMS Gloves work for me.

Are you trying to make me feel jaleous of your diving gear? :pirate:

On a more serious tone, are they very expensive?
Tubesnout23
Submariner

Post by Tubesnout23 »

ktb wrote:So . . . do you still want to try it on, at least? I'll be at Cove 2 tomorrow, or we can arrange something for Sunday.
OK! Saturday sounds good. What's your plan?
Sabre_Rider
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Sabre_Rider »

Tubesnout23 wrote:
Sabre_Rider wrote:
Tubesnout23 wrote:

Are you trying to make me feel jaleous of your diving gear? :pirate:

On a more serious tone, are they very expensive?
Oh trust me, I have no gear that's worth being jealous over, the gloves go for about $54 on ebay, I've had mine 4 years now, still going strong :boxer:
Tubesnout23
Submariner

Post by Tubesnout23 »

ktb wrote:It doesn't sound like I'm as small and skinny as you (I’m 5’7” and ~160 lbs.), but you can certainly try-on my front-zip Bare HD Trilam Tech drysuit at the Club Dive. I wear a Bare undergarment, and my suit is quite form-fitting, so it might be big for you but not overly so. I only have the one suit, but if it fits and you want to try diving it, I can let you borrow it while I'm in Hawaii the first week of November.

Thank you very much Ktb for letting me trying your Bare suit. At last I was able to dive DRY! The suit was comfortable even if getting my head through the neck seal was more work than with my Mobby's. However if I am in hurry to take it off because I am dying to go to the restroom...well I will be in bad shape...If I decided to buy a suit like that I would have to either get faster at taking it off by doing excercises at home, wear a diaper or get a she-pee valve! :eek: I

Thank you Idevore for letting me use your Weezle Extreme undergarment and booties. I felt warm but after one hour of diving my body temperature dropped a bit. My feet were warmer than with woolly socks. At the end of the dives with less air in the tank I was more positively buoyant and I had to dump a lot of air, I guess that's why I got colder. Maybe I did not have enough weights. My feet were a bit light and wanted to go up, more than with woolly socks. So gaiters may help to reduce the amount of air in the feet. Anyway it seems to me that overall it was an improvement regarding being warmer.
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

With practice, it does get easier to take on and off--I promise!
Kelly
Tubesnout23
Submariner

Post by Tubesnout23 »

LCF wrote:Indian Valley Scuba has a small Fusion, new, on sale for $799 . . .http://www.indianvalleyscuba.com/home%2 ... arance.pdf
The fusion that is on sale has the outer shell made of lycra...Considering that I can be rather rough with things I don't know whether it would be a good idea to get something that can be so easily damaged...

I am more inclined to get something sturdier and because I don't want to spend the money to get a newer Fusion model made of thicker material (the Fusion Bullet) I think getting the Bare is a better option for me.