Wet or Dry?

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.

Are you diving dry or wet?

Drysuit
75%
Wetsuit
19%
Semi Dry
6%

Total votes: 16

Ken G
I've Got Gills

Wet or Dry?

Post by Ken G »

What kind of suit do you own? Why did you choose your suit?

The best advice on gear tends to be from the people using it rather than the manufacturer’s advertisements.

Please let us know your opinion so we can assist anyone in the market to be better informed to make the right choice.

Ken
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

I can't go back to diving wet, at least in cold waters. I prefer a wet suit though if temps will allow, they're just so much easier to deal with (and cheaper). I've got a 3mm shorty, a 3mm full, 5/4mm full, 7mm dry and now a 3mm crushed neoprene dry. Crap, I've got a lot of suits come to think of it!
da_jab
Aquaphile

Post by da_jab »

Currently using Northern Diver CNX. An ok drysuit, just that the dump valve is p.o.s.
My undersuit is weezle.
Next suit will be custom made Ursuit Heavy Light Cordura FZ.
I've also got a 7+7mm and 3mm wetsuits for warm waters.
What works, works!
--Sheck Exley
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Janne, yeah.. my buddy was pointing out that the positioning of the exhaust valve on the CNX was a bit strange. Is this what you're talking about or the mechanics of the valve itself? It's an otherwise great looking suit, I have buddy thinking about buying it. Any advice for him would be greatly appreciated (other than that it's quite hard to zip you up in) :hello2:
Dave
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Dave »

I have the Apollo neoprene dry suit that keeps me comfy in the PNW cool waters especially nice in the winter...

I have a full neoprene farmer John that translates to a 7-14-7 that keeps me warm in the Puget Sound , it just is not ideal for the after dive experience in the winter months but does just fine the rest of the year.

I also have an full 3-5-3 for tropical diving that has served me well

And last but not least a great pair of swim trunks that are reserved for the totally warm weather -water diving that work just great,,,in fact I used them last weekend without a hitch!!!

:rr:
TAKE only pictures,,, LEAVE only bubbles...
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Dave wrote: And last but not least a great pair of swim trunks that are reserved for the totally warm weather -water diving that work just great,,,in fact I used them last weekend without a hitch!!!

:rr:
Quit bragging! :angryfire:

Haha, I'm just jealous. But, I like to use a thin fullsuit even in the warmest waters for the exposure protection.
Dave
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Dave »

it is definitely a good idea I just couldn't resist..... :bounce:
TAKE only pictures,,, LEAVE only bubbles...
Sasquatch
Compulsive Diver

Post by Sasquatch »

I'll represent for the wetsuit. I have so many cold water dives in these things and I just haven't been cold. I thought I'd start chilling below 80 fsw after the suit compressed but I didn't. I may have lucked out with the fit, too.

I'd like to dive dry for the sake of losing some lead but, right now, I'm more than fine with Akona 7mm.

Sea ya!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

I have a USIA Aqua Pro Plus. I've got about 20 dives on it, and so far it has been a great suit. I went with a custom suit to fit my mutant fat boy body, (I'm thinking of starting the fat old geezer division of Northwest Dive Club!) I needed a pretty tough suit to survive bumps and scrapes, and it has been more than durable.

Comfort is a HUGE reason to dive dry IMHO. I have yet to get cold on a Northwest dive, in fact, the opposite is usually the problem for me!
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Sasquatch, sounds like you have a great fitting suit. Is it a Farmer John or a one-piece? I like Akona, they make good stuff. I like your avatar by the way, and you should stop on by to the Introductions page and let us know a little about you =D>

Tom Nic, I wish I had the problem of not being cold enough. I just got a DUI CF200x and I still get chilly. I'm aiming to get an argon bottle :sign10:
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

I dive a DUI CLX450 and finally had A dry dive today with it :supz: I like the suit it is very durable and well made (exept for the zipper leak). I have 300 plus dives with it and feel that it was money well spent.
Who run barter town?
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Ok, I was very worried about you zipper before I knew that you've put 300 dives on it. I hope it's not my zipper, but I won't feel that bad if my suit goes leak-free for the first 300 dives before having a problem. :axe:
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

Sasquatch wrote:I'll represent for the wetsuit. I have so many cold water dives in these things and I just haven't been cold. I thought I'd start chilling below 80 fsw after the suit compressed but I didn't. I may have lucked out with the fit, too.

I'd like to dive dry for the sake of losing some lead but, right now, I'm more than fine with Akona 7mm.

Sea ya!

I have over 130 dives 126 of them in a farmer John 6.5 Mill wet suite
the other 4 dont real count as I was diving in Fey Largo ( I dont know what I was thinking )

I have yet to get could during a dive in fact I have been known to dive witih out hood and or gloves even in the winter.

I am thinking about going to a dry suite but only because it is much more convenient when your diving then going to get somtthing to eat
and diving a nother location
]

But I am also thinking about getting a 7 mill wet suite depends on which I find a better deal on first I guess

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Learns from the mistakes of those that have gone before him
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

I've only got 12 dives under my belt, and they've all been in rented wetsuits from UWS. I've never been uncomfortable, even in 44 degree water, but I hate getting into and out of the damn things. That's my main reason for wanting a dry suit. I'm hoping to squirrel away enough money doing side work this summer to get one at the dive fair at UWS this summer when the prices are low!
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

I have a Used, MOBBYS shell dry suit. I got it off of craigslist, for a very good packaged deal. I like it, it keeps me dry, most of the time. It is comfortable (A littl too big maybe) But if / When I need a new Dri Suit, I would probably go with an Apollo Neoprene dry suit. or whatever I can afford at the time (Reality).

Bassman