Regulator maintenance in seattle

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
gomi_otaku
Aquaphile

Regulator maintenance in seattle

Post by gomi_otaku »

What shop, or possibly even what tech in particular, do you guys like to go to in the Seattle area for regulator yearly maintenance? I have an Aqualung Titan and I'm due. I didn't buy it here, I got it in MN, and don't have my original receipts for it, so I'll have to pay for parts kits myself. I know I get a discount on labor at UWS, but most of the counter guys I deal with there seem to have some attitude for guys that look like they're still in high school.
gomi_
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

Dan at Northwest Sports Divers in Kenmore is your man. He's a great Aqualung tech.

http://www.nwsportsdivers.com

Tell him Doug sent you.

[EDIT] If you bought it new, and properly registered it with AL, they should still be able to get you free parts . . .
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Yep, Dan would be a great choice....but I always take my gear to Roy out at Bubbles Below in Woodinville. Roy is quite literally the "old man from the sea".....what he doesn't know about equipment maintenace hasn't been written.

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
gomi_otaku
Aquaphile

Post by gomi_otaku »

You guys really want me to make a trek, don't you? I should have mentioned that I live in Ballard (no, I'm not afraid to go across the highway...if it's necessary!)
What is typical turnaround time for a regulator service?
I registered my reg online, but this would be my first service...and I think I may be late, though I only have a year of actual diving on it, January to January.
gomi_
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

your kidding, right? i drive from enumclaw to kenmore because of the service.
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

I bet Sparky drives 6 hours to get some o-ring lube. That guy is amazing when it comes to long distance travel with no complaints. :prayer:
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

I typically send my regs to Don Peterson (Dive Tech) in Kingston.

Dan and Roy are also people I've used on occasion and was very happy with the work.

I'm going to learn how to service my own regs though ... I've got 11 of them now, and it's getting rather expensive ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

I drive from Sammamish to Kenmore (NWSD) for the service too... passing at least 4 dive shops on the way depending on what route I take.

If you're looking for a local guy, Dan at NWSD is your man. If you want to send them away, Grateful Diver's guy across the water has come highly recommended from many people as well.

You can even tell Dan that Doug & Doug sent you.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
gomi_otaku
Aquaphile

Post by gomi_otaku »

might be time toI bust out the map(quest). I don't even know where Kenmore is yet. I have heard good things about NWSD though, and I'm alsways up to checking out a new store.
gomi_
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Take 405 north to SR-522, then head west. It's on the north side (right) of that road about 1-2 miles and is right before the Shell station. Map them and you'll be set. Very easy.

Kenmore is just north of Kirkland, at the top of Lake Washingon. NWSD is east of the north end of the lake. It's worth the drive.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Cera
Submariner

Post by Cera »

They teach classes at DEMA. Well, each manufacturer ususally has a tech class. I have heard they are great, although I didn't get to take one when I was there! Wish I would have though!
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... THEY ARE NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING ... BUT THEY STILL BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN YOU PUSH THEM DOWN A FLIGHT OF STAIRS

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cera17
rcontrera
Aquaphile

Post by rcontrera »

Cera wrote:They teach classes at DEMA. ... I have heard they are great,...
Don't fool yourself! Classes at DEMA are NOT intended to teach anything ... only to familiarize an already competent service tech with the particulars of that regulator. Usually, out of 50-100 sitting in the classroom, only 5 to 10 actually fully understand what is being presented. Funny thing, though ... everyone gets a certificate for the "Ego Wall".

(stepping down from soapbox)
gomi_otaku
Aquaphile

???

Post by gomi_otaku »

There's no Dan listed on the email list for the store contacts...Should I contact them first, or just make the trek (it's always worth it to check out a new scuba store if I have the free time) I just have to figure out when I don't have some dives scheduled and won't need my reg.
gomi_
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Re: ???

Post by Grateful Diver »

gomi_otaku wrote:There's no Dan listed on the email list for the store contacts...Should I contact them first, or just make the trek (it's always worth it to check out a new scuba store if I have the free time) I just have to figure out when I don't have some dives scheduled and won't need my reg.
gomi_
Call the shop (425) 487-0624 ... chances are Dan will answer the phone.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

also if you just email the shop's general email he'll likely get it as well - or else matthew will and he can pass it along ...
"Life without passion is life without depth."~J.Hollis
my FLICKR photo sets
gomi_otaku
Aquaphile

Post by gomi_otaku »

OK, I dropped off my regs today. Strange how it's easy to drive 60 miles to dive but hard to drive less than 10 in the city. I forget how close things are, they look farther away on the map. You know us Ballardites, we don't like to cross the highway, let alone the lake. But it wasn't far at all, and Dan was pleased to know that people recommend him.
gomi_