Amor-all on fins

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
sitkadiver
Submariner

Amor-all on fins

Post by sitkadiver »

Anyone ever put Amor all on a set of old fins to try and get them new again?
I do not believe in taking unnecesary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living.
-Charles Lindbergh
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Re: Amor-all on fins

Post by Waynne Fowler »

Bunches of times.... i don't really 'bring em' back' but it does slow down (IMO) the damage thats may have already started.

Either way though, they do look good for a while.
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
nice-diver
Compulsive Diver

Post by nice-diver »

makes them really slippery too
i flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nice-diver/

Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather, because it's easier to harrass rich women than motorcycle gangs!
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

I've put McGuire's tire treatment on mine :dontknow: . It gives them a nice look but yes, it makes them slippery. Not good for being on a boat deck. But hey, maybe they go faster! :questionmarks:
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Ok, maybe I'm stupid but why? I've seen these things around that are 70's vintage that still work fine. What's the point?
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

The same reason ya polish your tires.. Rule 6.... They just look good...
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
sitkadiver
Submariner

Post by sitkadiver »

Nwbrewer wrote:Ok, maybe I'm stupid but why? I've seen these things around that are 70's vintage that still work fine. What's the point?
Brewer,

I'm sorta with you here.... Why go to the trouble with fins? Mine usually just get tossed into the gear tote in the back of my truck after diving.

But, yesterday, Diver_Dave gave me an early Christmas present in the form of some old Jet Fins that I've been wanting. They need new straps(ordered 'em already) and had layers of dust and grit, but were otherwise new looking. Dave had mentioned putting some Amor-All on them to bring back the shine. I wasn't sure it was safe, so that's why I asked. Either way, they look darn near new and I can hardly wait til the spring straps to get here so I can use them. I gave my other set away a few years ago to a buddy who works on the other side of the island, so Dave's gift is awesome for me, I've been missing my old fins!!
DSC01665.JPG
I guess there's also the good feeling you get from just having nice clean gear that looks like you take care of it.
I do not believe in taking unnecesary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living.
-Charles Lindbergh
dlh
Submariner

Post by dlh »

So how do the hand cuffs compare to the spring straps? I would think they might bind and pinch just a bit...
Last edited by dlh on Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dave
sitkadiver
Submariner

Post by sitkadiver »

dlh wrote:So how do the hand cuffs compare to the spring straps? I would think they my bind and pinch just a bit...
Ha - yeah, they might bind a bit, but they keep me from losing my camera.....
-Charles Lindbergh
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Waynne Fowler wrote:The same reason ya polish your tires.. Rule 6.... They just look good...
Yep! :supz:
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
wallyc72
Dive-aholic

Post by wallyc72 »

I wound not put anything on your fins. It will lead to chemicals coming off in the water.
sitkadiver
Submariner

Post by sitkadiver »

wallyc72 wrote:I wound not put anything on your fins. It will lead to chemicals coming off in the water.
I probably won't use Armor-All, they cleaned up really nice with just tap water and a scrub with a towel.
-Charles Lindbergh
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

wallyc72 wrote:I wound not put anything on your fins. It will lead to chemicals coming off in the water.
That's A REALLY GOOD point Wally. Thanks for pointing that one out. I'm actually a wee bit embarassed that that never even crossed my mind.

Kudo's :notworthy: