Help with wrist mount dive computer

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
mcho3
Just Settling In

Help with wrist mount dive computer

Post by mcho3 »

Hi all,
I am currently looking to get a first dive computer.
I get about 12 dives a year, and looked into Liquivision X1, even atomic cobalt but they seem too much function for my use.
Could you guys help with some options. I would consider getting a used model too. MIke
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Re: Help with wrist mount dive computer

Post by Grateful Diver »

Tons of options. For someone who's only going to be diving occasionally, I think the Hollis DG O2 gives you a lot of function for the money.

I would definitely advise you buy a nitrox-compatible computer, even if you don't currently dive nitrox. It'll save you from making a second purchase later on ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

What's your diving experience level? What are your goals? As Bob said, there's LOTS of options out there, in a wide variety of functions and prices. Knowing where you're at now, and what your goals are will help narrow the field a bit.
Grateful Diver wrote: I would definitely advise you buy a nitrox-compatible computer, even if you don't currently dive nitrox. It'll save you from making a second purchase later on ...
As plentiful as locations that fill HE are becoming, (and as the cost of HE computers seems to be coming down)for anybody interested in doing deep, dark local diving eventually I'd even recommend getting something that's capable of handling that.

Jake
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

I was about to post something and had a change of heart. I was going to say that with only 12 dives per year planned, I'd just rent rather than buy. But then I remembered that I've done several dives in the past year with borrowed computers. To be honest it was a huge distraction because it seemed every time I looked at my wrist I was looking at a different display layout. Having to pause and "sort it out" can definitely reduce the fun and compound a stressful situation. I've changed my mind. Buy a computer so you can get used to it and have more attention available for other things.

-Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

You know, the Aladin Tec2g is a very capable computer, with Nitrox and a reasonable display, and can be had for under $300 if you shop. The Suunto Vytec is also a good computer, but I think it's harder to find a good price on it.

I do agree that owning your own computer, and becoming familiar with its displays and warnings, is well worth while, even for infrequent diving.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

At 12 dives/year, I would highly recommend a basic nitrox computer as well. Both the Liquivision X1 and the Cobalt are going to be WAAAY more functionality and expense than is going to be worth the cost for an occasional diver. The Hollis computer would be a good option, as would some of the basic Oceanic models... but definitely get a nitrox computer. One note - don't worry about it if it's "only one gas" either. Some nitrox computers do "up to 3 gasses" which is a waste of money for a diver like you. Get a simple computer, learn to use it, and enjoy your dives.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

mcho3 wrote:Hi all,
I am currently looking to get a first dive computer.
I get about 12 dives a year, and looked into Liquivision X1, even atomic cobalt but they seem too much function for my use.
Could you guys help with some options. I would consider getting a used model too. MIke
I have both a Suunto Vyper and a Hollis DG02.
Wish I had an X1.
*cough* (save your $ and buy an X1) that way when you do end up diving more......
:)

(sounder--no charge for the advertising.....)
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

For an inexpensive great computer I'd look at the
Suunto Zoop (goofy name I know!) about $350ish
Subgear XP10 under $300
Tusa has some good offerings under $400 and several under the $300 mark
and of course, though I'm not a big fan, the Hollis stuff sure packs a lot of functionality in thier DG line for not too much money...
I find the oceanic displays hard to read myself. but to be fair... everythings getting hard to read nowadays... :rawlings:

but hey... if you got the bankroll the X1's a phat computer. I'd imagin you can find them iin the $1000 zone.
Last edited by Waynne Fowler on Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Tusa..good computer ..
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
mcho3
Just Settling In

Post by mcho3 »

wow, thank you all for your input.
You guys are the best. wow... still impressed.
Well i did narrow it down for sure that i want a wrist watch type with a transmitter. But thinking that i want a larger screen.
What do you guys think about the visibility of a wrist watch under water? Is it fine for NW?
I saw Uwatec Galileo Luna with Transmitter for under $800 online.
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

I have a couple of Galileo SOL's and my wife has a Luna.. If you want to "Test Dive" one for a while, let me know and I'll hook you up..

It a GREAT recreational computer! for $800 including a transmitter is great deal.. those go for around $1200 new.

The Galileo also have some pretty cool windows based dive logging software.. from your PC you can download all your dive logs, upload all your computer settings and even upload custom images and set emergency contact info etc.

One HUGE plus is the built in compass.. its not sensitive to tilt at all and superior to any other electronic and even analog compasses i've seen.. I dive my galileo in gauge mode and use it for time and navigation when I do big "Tec" dives and use the Liquivision on the other arm for Trimix Decompression info.

But we dive them recreationally all the time and they are pretty neat! It also has the capability to show your buddy's air pressure (if they have a wireless transmitter).. So when we dive our galileos I can "spy" on my wife's air pressure :)

It does standard air plus any Nitrox mix you want and will do full decompression diving as well - but my guess is you wont need that and I wont dive the Galileo on Deco - it has a crappy decompression algorithm :)

Plus for the LUNA you can at any time buy the predictive multi gas firmware upgrade that allows you to dive 3 different gas mixes and monitor each with its own wireless transmitter and at the same time monitor your buddys's pressure.. additionally there is a rumored trimix update on the horizon..

And you can change the battery yourself for $7.00.. most other dive computers will have to be sent to the manufacturer or official service center to change the battery every other year.. (usually about $100-120)

One caveat though, this computer is close to 3 years old and I'm pretty sure a color OLED is a year or so out..

Its a great computer.. but its expensive compared to some of the other smaller computers and might have "too much" for what you need?

I have 4 different computers and had a few in the past and the galileo is the most user friendly and easy to understand of all of them!! the display is nice and big has all the info you want plus its configurable to how much info you want..

**EDIT: It does have a "one push" back light feature :)
Last edited by kdupreez on Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

mcho3 wrote:wow, thank you all for your input.
You guys are the best. wow... still impressed.
Well i did narrow it down for sure that i want a wrist watch type with a transmitter. But thinking that i want a larger screen.
What do you guys think about the visibility of a wrist watch under water? Is it fine for NW?
I saw Uwatec Galileo Luna with Transmitter for under $800 online.
one thing I learned: Are you going to be doing night dives? If so, you'll want something easy and quick to read, hopefully without shining your light onto the puter. 1 button push, or constant backlit.
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

im not too hip on the transmitter style ... Ive seen them fail and not work properly, On a boat dive , and the diver has no clue about air pressure in there tank.. If your going to buy a transmitter style, make sure to have a SPG as a back up, in your dive bag.. Im not dissin on transmitter computers , just relayin what i have seen over my years of diving.. as a dinosaur..
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
mancub
Dive-aholic

Post by mancub »

I have a "small" wrist computer compared to other wrist mounted options. I don't find it hard to read, but my *ahem "older" buddies wouldn't like how small the screen is. If you have good eyes, don't worry too much about size as many wrist computers are generally the same size font. Backlight is nice, but I find myself using the edge of my primary dive light's halo to view my computer.

Compatibility with a bungee mount is nice. Deep Sea Supply has mounts for many...dive rite nitek duo/trio, uwatec aladin tec, suunto vyper/vytec, oceanic vt3, and of course the liquivision:). Not a deal breaker for many, but I really like my compass bungee mount from them. Depth compensating.

Air integration doubles the price roughly, necessary or desire? I suppose scuba diving itself is a desire... I get a long okay without, but my favorite thing to see on my computer is depth, bottom time, and no deco time. I check air a little more infrequently : O
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

Air integration doubles the price roughly, necessary or desire?

Very good point.. I stopped using mine for local dives.. I like the compact travel option of less hoses for vacation dives though..

You always have the option to buy a wireless "capable" unit and get the transmitter later on?

I guess you have to ask yourself what you want out of it.. If you are (like you said) diving 3 times a year in a tropical location.. something like a small wrist watch style computer is fantastic.. cause it never has to leave your wrist the entire vacation :)

I have to admit, I really really like my X1 as well.. it doesnt have air integration, but its has a gazillion other features and can grow with you from basic OW 3 times a year diver all the way though full on trimix diver.. And it has a beautifull OLED display and its tiny..

plus, the X1 has a rechargeable battery.. so you never have to think about replacing it.. (Although I think they would like you to periodically charge it for battery maintenance)

So if you want to test dive computers, I can supply an Aeris Atmos, Luna, SOL, X1, Uemis and probably a few others..

PS.. I'm waiting for the cool-aid crew to go "Bwaah, who needs computers!" :stir:

(You truly dont.. If you have a time/depth device you can really dive without it)
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

kdupreez wrote:PS.. I'm waiting for the cool-aid crew to go "Bwaah, who needs computers!" :stir:

(You truly dont.. If you have a time/depth device you can really dive without it)
Disclaimer: I'm the Liquivision guy.

Honestly, despite being a bottom-timer-promoter, at 12 dives/year for a diver who hasn't trained or practiced with a bottom timer, I'd suggest a standard conservative recreational dive computer. I do echo the "skip the wireless transmitter" part though - more to do, more to go wrong, more expense for someone not using it much.

If, however, you're interested in seeing how people dive bottom timers only (not a computer), there are lots of resources out there to learn how, the best of which is a good instructor. If you'd like more information on this, feel free to PM me.
no excuses
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by no excuses »

Oceanic veo's, I just picked up a veo 180 new for under $150 shipped for bare computer or can find it for under $200 with wrist mount. Does nitrox, backlite, can be used in gauge mode if needed/wanted. For the money you will not find a better dive computer, just my lil .02
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

kdupreez wrote:
PS.. I'm waiting for the cool-aid crew to go "Bwaah, who needs computers!" :stir:

First, several of the first posts were from the "cool-aid crew". He's not looking for that kind of advice, and at ~12 year why bother? That's why I asked about his goals. If he said he intended to start diving more, or take more advanced training maybe I'd make a different recomendation, but to assume that the "cool-aide crew" just waits to pounce on anyone who's using a computer is rather silly.

Second, aren't you recently fundified? Like it or not, that makes you part of the club. :koolaid:

mcho3 do you have plans to do more diving than what you're currently doing?
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I will echo the warning that the transmitters can be temperamental. My husband uses a Vytec with a transmitter (but also has an SPG) and I have heard him, all too many times, swearing at the thing because it won't sync, or it loses sync. I don't think I would ever spend the money to have a transmitter, but then, I don't find it difficult or onerous to check my SPG at regular intervals.

And BTW, as a flag-waving member of the Kool-Aid crew, I don't think someone who does 10 dives a year should do them with a bottom timer . . . :)
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

kdupreez wrote: PS.. I'm waiting for the cool-aid crew to go "Bwaah, who needs computers!" :stir:
I knew someone would lob that grenade over the fence ... :penelope:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

All I can say is that you guys are definitely using the wrong spelling considering the context of the discussion. It is Kool Aid, with a "k", Don't flatter yourselves... :la:
:stir: :smt064
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
4ster
Dive-aholic

Post by 4ster »

Think about buying a basic computer now (with nitrox but without a transmitter). Also make sure it turns on with immersion, I'd be surprised that any offered now don't, but check. You will still use it when you advance in your diving, either as a bottom timer or a backup computer. I like the little puck style because they have a lot of options for mounting - wrist, console or tucked into a BC pocket.

When I travel to a dive destination, I bring an old Veo puck computer with me. It dives with me but is pretty much ignored, I just watch to make sure I don't bend it. If my main computer dies for some reason I don't have to sit out dives because the backup is still is tracking my nitrogen loading.

My 2 bubbles.
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

4ster wrote:Think about buying a basic computer now (with nitrox but without a transmitter). Also make sure it turns on with immersion, I'd be surprised that any offered now don't, but check. You will still use it when you advance in your diving, either as a bottom timer or a backup computer. I like the little puck style because they have a lot of options for mounting - wrist, console or tucked into a BC pocket.

When I travel to a dive destination, I bring an old Veo puck computer with me. It dives with me but is pretty much ignored, I just watch to make sure I don't bend it. If my main computer dies for some reason I don't have to sit out dives because the backup is still is tracking my nitrogen loading.

My 2 bubbles.
Good advice, I'd have to echo your words about checking for the auto start feature, there's A LOT of computer's out there that STILL don't have the feature. Crazy I know.
If you're doing pretty much all the dives you want in a year and you're not sitting on cash thats burning a hole in your pocket. Go with something simple to learn and operate. You won't need 3 gases, HR monitor, graphing, gauge mode, digital compass (a Royal PITA IMHO), text messaging, video gaming, pdf reading, transmitting multipule SPG readings for buddies. now if they came with a microwave oven, auto D.A.N. alert and/or a defib we'd be havin a different conversation.
If you end up doing a lot more diving in the future or move into those more aggressive profiles you'll make this simple guy your backup and be getting something that will handle those dives.
You don't want to buy stuff that is 'throw away stuff' I wouldn't guess, so get something that will integrate as/if you start to get more aggressive. If you simply get more 'active' rather than more 'aggressive' in your diving... well then you won't need anything more anyway.
There's an incredible number of very nice, feature rich computers out there that use some very decent math model's.

If however you are that guy who's got a wad of bills that need to be burned up... there's a lot of great computers out there that will rid you of that burden.

Good luck with your purchase and Enjoy The Dive!
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Nwbrewer wrote:
kdupreez wrote:
Second, aren't you recently fundified? Like it or not, that makes you part of the club. :koolaid:
Actually, he is right Koos!! Now you officially fall into the category of "knowing" and can no longer hide under the protection of "ignorance." :rofl:

FWIW, I think it should be noted that despite the several Koolaid-drinkers :koolaid: replying here, not ONE has recommended the bottom-timer route. It's not the right tool for this job.
Gooch
Submariner

Post by Gooch »

I have the simplest of computers- the Oceanic Veo 100nx. It was very inexpensive but I have owned it for awhile and I have many dives on it. I can say these things about it:

1: Seems super robust- never an issue and has cheap, user changeable batteries.
2: Simple and easy to read display- only 1 button to fool with
3: In hindsight- a really great computer with just the basics- it does do nitrox mixes up to 50%

Things I have noticed diving that would be nice to have=
1: It doesn't have a backlight- I'd get one with a backlight
2: I'm interested in someday doing more tec diving- multigases would be nice for my next computer.
3: Air intergration? I'm not sure. I have seen people fight a lot with their computers on that. And it is spendy.

This computer is simple, easy to understand and I don't have to think about it a lot- it is just there and works right. It is nice to be able to concentrate on just diving more and less messing with my computer. Although they do sell a cable to download your dive info (if you are into that) I have never gotten it and don't miss it much. I mainly just want it to be ready for another dive ;)
http://nwdivers.me/blog/ Original articles and dive reports from local divers in the Vancouver, WA area. Suggestions for stories or your own reports are welcome!