Quality local dry-suit repair

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Quality local dry-suit repair

Post by Pez7378 »

I've had it. I've used a leaky dry suit as my excuse for long enough! Its time to get it fixed. I need to get back out there and enjoy my dives, but I really need to replace my zipper. Please tell me who you would recommend for quality local dry suit zipper replacement, how long you waited and how much you paid (approx.) I've got a DUI TLS 350.
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Re: Quality local dry-suit repair

Post by kdupreez »

I would highly recommend getting it to a local DUI dealer.. they will send it back to DUI for repair.. then you should get a decent zipper 1 year warranty again..

takes about 2-3 weeks.. I think you can also send it directly to DUI, but the dealer option is better so they take the liability hit and logistics.
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

Well I can recommend one but it is not local. He does great work.

http://www.customdivingservices.com/

Scott is his name.
Greg
Life is Short do as Much as Possible in as Short of Period of Time as Possible.
PapaZ
Compulsive Diver

Post by PapaZ »

Hood Sport & Dive does very good work and quick turnaround time.

Here is their web site. Give 'em a call.

http://www.hoodsportndive.com
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

I've had several done by Ron Akison at Adventures Down Under in Bellingham. If he's not on a dive trip and you call him in advance you can get a turn around time as little as a week in my experience. Price should be around or just under $300 for a zipper. I'm no expert but his work has always looked good to me and I know other people on this board have had positive experiences with him as well.
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
April
Dive-aholic

Post by April »

Mattleycrue76 wrote:I've had several done by Ron Akison at Adventures Down Under in Bellingham. If he's not on a dive trip and you call him in advance you can get a turn around time as little as a week in my experience. Price should be around or just under $300 for a zipper. I'm no expert but his work has always looked good to me and I know other people on this board have had positive experiences with him as well.

+1

He has to send DUI suits to get the zipper sewn in first, so turn around time is a little longer but so far I'm happy with my zipper from Ron.
April
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Mattleycrue76 wrote:I've had several done by Ron Akison at Adventures Down Under in Bellingham. If he's not on a dive trip and you call him in advance you can get a turn around time as little as a week in my experience. Price should be around or just under $300 for a zipper. I'm no expert but his work has always looked good to me and I know other people on this board have had positive experiences with him as well.
+2. Ron does great work at a good price. Bellingham ain't quite local, but it ain't bad, either.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
rjw
Aquanaut

Post by rjw »

+3 for Ron. Many seals replaced (worn out) along with a couple of zippers over the years. Never had any problems. Worth the trip.
No amount of Helium can make a dumbass smart. - Chatterton
FOTTF
Life's been good to me so far
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

+4 for Ron. I had mine back in hand in a little over a week.
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

rjw wrote:Many seals replaced (worn out) along with a couple of zippers over the years. Never had any problems. Worth the trip.
April wrote:I'm happy with my zipper from Ron.
Joshua Smith wrote:Ron does great work at a good price. Bellingham ain't quite local, but it ain't bad, either.
John Rawlings wrote:I had mine back in hand in a little over a week.
That's what I'm talking about! Those are some Major League reviews! Thanks everyone!
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Bob3 on TDS sells the zippers for around $150. Just order one and a tube of aquaseal. What could go wrong? :dontknow:
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

Ron does a great job, I've seen some of his work. So does HS&Dive. And they do it for a very fair price with great turn around.
But AFAIK the only place you'll get a full one year warrenty on 'the ZIPPER' is thru DUI. and you won't pay that much more..
If that kind of warrenty interests you, ya may wanna give DUI a call
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

I had zippers replaced on both of my DUI suits.

First one I sent to Superior ... they did nice work, but the zipper was an inch or so shorter than the original, which made the suit just a schosh harder to get on and off.

Second one went back to DUI. Cost about the same as Superior, and the turnaround was about a week less. The suit came back with the exact same size and type zipper as the original.

I was happier dealing with DUI. Their service department has always been top shelf ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
enchantmentdivi
Amphibian

Post by enchantmentdivi »

Grateful Diver wrote:I was happier dealing with DUI. Their service department has always been top shelf ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
+1 for sending it back to DUI. I just sent mine in for a new zipper before the holidays. I had it back in my hands within 2 weeks. What is so nice about having them do it is that it looks brand new. It doesn't look like somebody replaced the zipper. They replaced the crotch strap for free. And, they do a thorough leak test on the suit and repair any leaks they find. Check it out: http://www.dui-online.com/dog_tv_drysui ... ation.html And, like Janet says, give her a call if you have any questions. She's awesome! After this experience with DUI and my experiences with other places replacing zippers on some of my other suits, I will --without a doubt-- always send mine back to DUI.
Jenn
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

+2 for sending it back to DUI. They do great, warrantied work, and are fast.
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

And MORE great reviews! Okay, let me ask this. If Ron is sending the suit out to be sewn, where is he sending it? DUI?

With the ridiculous number of dives I've been throwing down lately, you KNOW turnaround time is a huge factor for me. I just don't know if I could handle any more time out of the water than was absolutely necessary!

So I guess Price becomes the deciding factor, although warrantied work is enticing.
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

Pez7378 wrote:And MORE great reviews! Okay, let me ask this. If Ron is sending the suit out to be sewn, where is he sending it? DUI?

With the ridiculous number of dives I've been throwing down lately, you KNOW turnaround time is a huge factor for me. I just don't know if I could handle any more time out of the water than was absolutely necessary!

So I guess Price becomes the deciding factor, although warrantied work is enticing.
I'm sure that a local option would guarantee their work, as well. Don't know about sending it out, though.

DUI's repair prices are online: http://www.dui-online.com/pdf/Service_P ... Retail.pdf
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Grateful Diver wrote:First one I sent to Superior ... they did nice work, but the zipper was an inch or so shorter than the original, which made the suit just a schosh harder to get on and off.
i sent my last drysuit to Superior for a few alterations, and they completely screwed it up, making it way to small for me. i will never recommend them for anything.

Pez7378 wrote:With the ridiculous number of dives I've been throwing down lately, you KNOW turnaround time is a huge factor for me. I just don't know if I could handle any more time out of the water than was absolutely necessary!
i know you're being sarcastic, but the suit superior screwed up would probably fit you great, if you did want to borrow it while yours is out for repairs.
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

I understand this might not be the place for it and/or you may wish not to share, but I'd be interested in finding out exactly how the suit was screwed up and why it is (if such is the case) that they are not taking responsability for the mistakes.
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Waynne Fowler wrote:I understand this might not be the place for it and/or you may wish not to share, but I'd be interested in finding out exactly how the suit was screwed up and why it is (if such is the case) that they are not taking responsability for the mistakes.
i'll send you a PM, and anyone else interested.
April
Dive-aholic

Post by April »

he's not sending it to DUI, another local guy I think, but I don't remember who.
April
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

April wrote:he's not sending it to DUI, another local guy I think, but I don't remember who.
The local drysuit people are KME. I cannot recommend them. They used to be good ... but the last three times I took a drysuit into that place I had to take it back repeatedly to get it right.

Wish I could say otherwise ... they're a short drive from my house. But I won't use them again.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

spatman wrote:
Pez7378 wrote:With the ridiculous number of dives I've been throwing down lately, you KNOW turnaround time is a huge factor for me. I just don't know if I could handle any more time out of the water than was absolutely necessary!
i know you're being sarcastic, but the suit superior screwed up would probably fit you great, if you did want to borrow it while yours is out for repairs.
DRATS! Foiled again! Thanks for the offer Matt, I'll let you know if I need to take you up on it!
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Pez7378 wrote:
spatman wrote:
DRATS! Foiled again! Thanks for the offer Matt, I'll let you know if I need to take you up on it!
anytime, dude. i can bring it up this weekend if you want to try it on.
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

Grateful Diver wrote:
April wrote:he's not sending it to DUI, another local guy I think, but I don't remember who.
The local drysuit people are KME. I cannot recommend them. They used to be good ... but the last three times I took a drysuit into that place I had to take it back repeatedly to get it right.

Wish I could say otherwise ... they're a short drive from my house. But I won't use them again.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
I know what you mean Bob we started having issues with them a few years ago. It was sooo nice to have a good quality shop to send a customers stuff too, but with Jim's health failing him, and not being able to keep up on things like he used to, they have fallin and can't seem to get back up. It sucks both from a service standpoint and on a personal level to not be able to recommend them any more. Not only were they a great company to deal with, fast, friendly, great work and fair pricing... but we love the hell out of Jim as well. It feels crappy not being able to recommend a friend. but... I can't.