Oops!

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
ktb
I've Got Gills

Oops!

Post by ktb »

If I can't serve as a good example, at least I can serve as a horrible warning, right?

Behold . . . what can happen when your gear falls off your truck tailgate . . .
IMG00430.jpg
(sorry for the crappy cell phone picture)
Kelly
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Re: Oops!

Post by cardiver »

When did you buy a truck? I thought you had a Honda?

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
in_minsk_we_trust
Avid Diver

Post by in_minsk_we_trust »

Beer Fine
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

Ron: It's a Honda Ridgeline truck--you know that.

Minsk: So I owe *myself* a beer? Okay . . . :)
Kelly
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

ktb wrote:Ron: It's a Honda Ridgeline truck--you know that.

Minsk: So I owe *myself* a beer? Okay . . . :)
Really? You still don't get my sarcasm, Kelly? :smt064
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Bummer.

Brings back memories. Bad ones.

I've had a ,completely set up rig take a header off the end of my tailgate in Bonaire. And blow up. Before I had gotten wet. Even once.

And i've seen my friend's gear do the same as well.

Glad i wasn't with you or you could legitimately blame me!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Johnbhutch
Aquaphile

Post by Johnbhutch »

I feel for you, I did that about 6 months ago. 3 weeks after I had the regs rebuilt. So they got done twice this year. On the bright side I got away with not having to replace the reg.
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

I was lucky. My entire set-up fell over and made a spectacularly loud scene, so I'm very thankful I only damaged the DIN connector, tank valve, and my octo hose. It could have been a lot worse. And I was surrounded by fellow divers who offered up enough spare parts to outfit 2 divers!

The only lasting damage is to my ego. And I'll have regular reminders of my mistake as Wally said he plans to display this artifact at Tacoma Scuba for all--especially OW students--to see. Oh joy.
Kelly
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

You'll be famous,,,, Or is that infamous?? :smt064

Glad that the only thing damaged was equipment.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

We had this beat into us in OW class. Any tanks left standing like that resulted in pool laps.

I've had people leave gear standing on the tailgate of my truck. I always grab it and lay it down. If someone walks away from gear standing on a tailgate I'll reach over and lay a hand on it until they return, just to make sure it stays where it's supposed to.

Glad it didn't turn out worse for you.

Jake
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
Agent 47
Aquaphile

Post by Agent 47 »

I have seen this happen at least twice, I always warn people about it when I see them leaving their kit standing on the edge of a tailgate or picnic table but more often than not I get the response of "oh, it'll be fine there" oh well some people insist on learning the hard way.
I do have opinions of my own,,,very strong opinions!,, I just don't allways agree with them.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
Mongodives
Aquaphile

Post by Mongodives »

Had similiar mishap years ago, made me rethink what went in my SAVE A DIVE kit.
"we're gonna need a bigger boat" Sherriff Brody
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Ah yes ... a few years ago my buddy Jock forgot to close the tailgate on his pickup. Backed out of the parking spot at Cove 2, put the truck in gear, and proceeded to get passed by one of his 130's rolling down the parking lot ... :eek:

Shtuff happens ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubak »

I cannot stand to see gear left sitting upright and left alone!
Tim did this at Sunrise...hence the name Capt. Bungee, because after that he always bungee'd his dive gear securely.
Kirsten
"Let's go diving!"
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Nwbrewer wrote:We had this beat into us in OW class. Any tanks left standing like that resulted in pool laps.
Ah yes, very true. In our class it was beer purchases.

But like very many other things in classes of all kinds they unfortunately end up getting ignored from time to time. At least that's been my experience. :axe: :toimonster:
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
funkydiver
Frequent Bubbler

Post by funkydiver »

ktb wrote:I was lucky. My entire set-up fell over and made a spectacularly loud scene, so I'm very thankful I only damaged the DIN connector, tank valve, and my octo hose. It could have been a lot worse. And I was surrounded by fellow divers who offered up enough spare parts to outfit 2 divers!

The only lasting damage is to my ego. And I'll have regular reminders of my mistake as Wally said he plans to display this artifact at Tacoma Scuba for all--especially OW students--to see. Oh joy.
Let's just be happy there wasn't an encore... the beer consumption could have been epic :partyman:
Growing old is mandatory... Growing up is optional
Raydar
Dive-aholic

Post by Raydar »

Had something similiar happen on the skiff at Abyssal a few years ago. Trusted someone else to make sure that my dubs (bare tanks) were strapped in. Next morning found them laying on the bottom of the boat with one valve being ovalized.

Dove the rest of the dives with my regs configured for single tank running off the other post. :)
Purveyor of crack ;)
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

Sorry you joined the fraternity. At least your initiation fee was only one regulator. Mine was two when a bungee failed. I was diving doubles off a boat. When the regs hit the deck it did in both of them.
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

Well at least it's nice to know I'm in good company . . . ;)
Kelly
Rooinater
Dive-aholic

Post by Rooinater »

That sucks, maybe I'll have to check out the damage while I'm in the south sound tomorrow. Good thing none of my tanks have boots left on them so that can't happen...
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

I know I am late but I put my vote in for Keith with tailgate mishaps and what can happen. Seen it with my own eyes and his snapped clean off. :smt064 :popcorn: :pirate: :rawlings:
Jeff Castor
nice-diver
Compulsive Diver

Post by nice-diver »

my buddy uses a bungee strap, sometimes i get to release it "after" he has geared himself up :rofl:
i flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nice-diver/

Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather, because it's easier to harrass rich women than motorcycle gangs!
Alexitt
Submariner

Post by Alexitt »

Had mine fall about 2' out of my van while I was standing right next to it... Fortunately my foot stopped the reg from hitting the ground first (frikkin' OWWW!) Didn't break the foot but it bent the yoke screw... Still usable but Zeagle sent me a used one off one of their test regs for free (Thanks Zeagle!) and the problem was fixed free and a lesson was well learned....
-Alex-

"so in the interest of advising something...let's see..."the early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!" -Eliseaboo