SMBs

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

SMBs

Post by Joshua Smith »

Well, since it's been a topic of much discussion lately- thought I'd start a new thread on them. I'm a huge fan of the AP valves self inflator:

http://www.apvalves.com/uk/products/smb/smbci/

As a rebreather diver, I love not having to grab a reg off one of my bailout bottles to inflate, but you CAN still inflate these that way, if the bottle isn't charged. As an added bonus, it will fully deploy even when you shoot from 3 feet underwater- or if you bring it out on the surface, to signal a boat or something. But several of my OC buddies love these as well. They're fun to shoot!
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Re: SMBs

Post by Grateful Diver »

I once saw someone swimming around down by the I-beams with one of those ... inflated. It was clipped off to his butt D-ring, and he didn't even realize it was "loaded" ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Marc
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Marc »

I like the KISS principle of dive gear. I am afraid that I would roll the valve on AP at a bad time.

Halcyon's bag works for me. Fits in a pocket pretty easily, inflates pretty well. Simple.
Reporter: "The helmet has a special meaning for many drivers. How important is it to you?"

Raikkonen: "It protects my head."
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Grateful Diver wrote:I once saw someone swimming around down by the I-beams with one of those ... inflated. It was clipped off to his butt D-ring, and he didn't even realize it was "loaded" ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Good lord. I'm not sure how much lift they generate, but he must have been seriously overweighted! And given how they stow away, I don't really know HOW you could roll the valve open. I have had mine for over 2 years now- maybe 150 dives with it, and no "accidents".

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Marc
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Marc »

If it can possibly be F'd up or broken, I can do it.
Reporter: "The helmet has a special meaning for many drivers. How important is it to you?"

Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

I have 2, I have the DSS one, and one that's a little bigger that's a DIY. The DIY one is a little taller, and a lot wider at the top then the DSS one, but both of them work well.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Blitz wrote:I like the KISS principle of dive gear. I am afraid that I would roll the valve on AP at a bad time.

Halcyon's bag works for me. Fits in a pocket pretty easily, inflates pretty well. Simple.

Normally, I fall into the same camp. I was suspicious of these for a while, but I'm totally sold now. Next time we dive, I'll hand it to you in the shallows- you should try shooting it once, it's kind of a hoot.

Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

I tested the AP Valves one in my pocket. If it's accidentally "blown" while rolled up in a pocket or secured (tightly) with a strap, it will purge all the gas from the purge valve and won't inflate... er, "shouldn't."

That said, I sold mine and have gone back to a DSS small one for my pocket and a Halcyon large one for bigger dives.

I like the HOG "Quick-shot" inflator from a deco bottle a lot too for the larger bags. For the small 3' DSS bag, one breath is more than enough.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Marc
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Marc »

Joshua Smith wrote:
Blitz wrote:I like the KISS principle of dive gear. I am afraid that I would roll the valve on AP at a bad time.

Normally, I fall into the same camp. I was suspicious of these for a while, but I'm totally sold now. Next time we dive, I'll hand it to you in the shallows- you should try shooting it once, it's kind of a hoot.
I shoot no bags shallower than 90fsw.

Marc
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Marc »

Sounder wrote: I like the HOG "Quick-shot" inflator from a deco bottle a lot too for the larger bags. For the small 3' DSS bag, one breath is more than enough.

I have heard you talk in the parking lot before a dive... are you sure you need a whole breath? :boxer:

Agent 47
Aquaphile

Post by Agent 47 »

I fell in love with the Halcion bags during my last class, the ones with the LP hose inflator nipple. As A rebreather diver I cant stand deploying a reg and hoping to catch some of the bubbles from the second stage in the opening of my bag. just feels like wasting gas ( something I have become verry averse to doing ) I am able to pull it out of my pocket and deploy it in a few seconds by poping the LP hose from my bailout into it and watch it fly. so a big +1 to Halcion
I do have opinions of my own,,,very strong opinions!,, I just don't allways agree with them.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Blitz wrote:
Sounder wrote: I like the HOG "Quick-shot" inflator from a deco bottle a lot too for the larger bags. For the small 3' DSS bag, one breath is more than enough.

I have heard you talk in the parking lot before a dive... are you sure you need a whole breath? :boxer:
Well played. =D> :rofl:
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Marc
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Marc »

Couldn't resist. Sorry to jack the thread.

spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

i used the DSS for a while, and never liked it. the Halcyon bag is far easier to deploy.
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

At some point i'll ask permission from the victim if i can post a short clip of 'why you don't wanna inflate an SMB with your LP inflator whip".

Seriously folks (and at times i've been known to dive a CCR as well) the amount of gas it takes to start an SMB up is minimal, and if you are not shooting it from 3' beneath the surface, i'm pretty confident it will be rather full by the time it gets there.

The nice thing about shooting your SMB in a controlled fashion (breath controlled) is that you have time. You have time to make sure its not wrapped around things, your bolt snap is clipped off, your buddy (or instructor) is not above you, that every system is "GO" before launch. I honestly believe its a safer method. what i mean by this is that you and your SMB are essentially neutral or ever so slightly positive that is fully fin-able against when you take a breath before sending it up.

I love the halcyon SMB's, they are simply awesome. (I thought this even before i was a Blue H fan-girl)

that said, I will never really enjoy trying to make my cold numb lips work with the inflator nipple and i always worry for a second that my clumsy cold hands will cause me to chip a tooth, but i've learned if i use the side of my mouth it seems to work better. it was amazing how much easier it was without numb lips when i shot an SMB in MAUI ;) the trade off for control is well worth it though.
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

ljjames wrote: that said, I will never really enjoy trying to make my cold numb lips work with the inflator nipple and i always worry for a second that my clumsy cold hands will cause me to chip a tooth, but i've learned if i use the side of my mouth it seems to work better. it was amazing how much easier it was without numb lips when i shot an SMB in MAUI ;) the trade off for control is well worth it though.
That was my expereince when I borrowed bdub's in class--I kept thinking I was chipping my front teeth. (And one of my front teeth is a full cap thanks to chipping it in junior high.)

So is there a small, 3-4 foot SMB that DOESN'T have a metal inflator?
Kelly
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

ljjames wrote:At some point i'll ask permission from the victim if i can post a short clip of 'why you don't wanna inflate an SMB with your LP inflator whip".
Permission Denied. ;)

If you use the LP inflator nipple sooner or later either the bag goes up without you, or the bag drags you to the surface.

It is not something to do on a dive where it matters.

CCR or not, I wouldn't do it. Find a better way.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

ktb wrote:So is there a small, 3-4 foot SMB that DOESN'T have a metal inflator?
the DSS is plastic.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Re: Re: SMBs

Post by Joshua Smith »

lamont wrote:Find a better way.

AP valves makes a pretty cool self inflator......

Agent 47
Aquaphile

Post by Agent 47 »

lamont wrote:
ljjames wrote:At some point i'll ask permission from the victim if i can post a short clip of 'why you don't wanna inflate an SMB with your LP inflator whip".
Permission Denied. ;)

If you use the LP inflator nipple sooner or later either the bag goes up without you, or the bag drags you to the surface.

PLease elaborate, I cant see how this could happen a short burst from my spare LP hose beats the hell out of closing my DSV and trying to deploy a bag with half a breath of air and hoping to be able to go back on the loop, clear my dsv and then somehow re-establish loop volume all wile my SMB is screeming line from between my fingers. I find it much safer to simply pop a squirt of air into it from a LP hose and keep breathing normally while my bag goes up. I see nothing that would likely go wrong with this and a whole slew of things that can go wrong if I try blowing it manually.
I do have opinions of my own,,,very strong opinions!,, I just don't allways agree with them.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

what about those quickshot inflators? they seem pretty popular.
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

Agent 47 wrote:
lamont wrote:
Permission Denied. ;)

PLease elaborate, I cant see how this could happen a short burst from my spare LP hose beats the hell out of closing my DSV and trying to deploy a bag with half a breath of air and hoping to be able to go back on the loop, clear my dsv and then somehow re-establish loop volume all wile my SMB is screeming line from between my fingers. I find it much safer to simply pop a squirt of air into it from a LP hose and keep breathing normally while my bag goes up. I see nothing that would likely go wrong with this and a whole slew of things that can go wrong if I try blowing it manually.
Not really sure about the mechanics of a CCR but I'm curious about this as well
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Joshua Smith wrote:
Grateful Diver wrote:I once saw someone swimming around down by the I-beams with one of those ... inflated. It was clipped off to his butt D-ring, and he didn't even realize it was "loaded" ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Good lord. I'm not sure how much lift they generate, but he must have been seriously overweighted! And given how they stow away, I don't really know HOW you could roll the valve open. I have had mine for over 2 years now- maybe 150 dives with it, and no "accidents".
... if I told you who it was, you wouldn't even be surprised ... :eek:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
whatevah
Aquanaut

Post by whatevah »

My surface marker is a Carter Personal Float (the 35lb model). I've used it as a lift bag, a marker float when I find something during a search, and of course as a SMB. It has been through a lot and is still holding up great - really happy with it. They're bulkier and perhaps more complicated to deploy than some but I think that's the price to pay for something multi-purpose.
“When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” -- John Muir
guitarmaker
Dive-aholic

Post by guitarmaker »

Part 2 of the SMB question (at least in my mind) is whats your favorite reel to use with an smb? After reading the Original, original post - I went and bought a simple thumb spool to start out with.

Good discussion - Thanx!
Cheers!

Ron