Scuba-Doo II

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
no excuses
Extreme Diving Machine

Scuba-Doo II

Post by no excuses »

After a couple of years of diving out of the inflatable in all types of weather and wanting a boat with more room and a top, I wanted a versital boat that I can do several different things, fishing, crabbing, diving, cruising, and camping. I wanted to have plenty of power to be able to get out and move and plenty of size to handle the weight of tanks, dive gear and offshore water conditions. I was looking for something in the 21'-22' with a 200 to 250hp range. Well I failed in that effort :angelblue: . After months of looking and driving I ended up finding a 2008 Maxxum (North River Seahawk). It had less then a 100 hrs on it and is in like new shape.
Attachments
IMG_1294 comp.jpg
nwbobber
Extreme Diving Machine

Re: Scuba-Doo II

Post by nwbobber »

Nice. When we goin?
If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading - Lao Tzu
no excuses
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by no excuses »

I found a 24' North River with a 300hp Suzuki and a 9.9hp zuki kicker. It came with a Lowrance electronics, and a short 2 step dive ladder. I changed the dive ladder out, I bought the material and had the aluminum welded up. I asked Scott Boyd for specs and it works great (thanks Scott :taco: )
Attachments
IMG_1296 comp.jpg
no excuses
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by no excuses »

nwbobber wrote:Nice. When we goin?
LOL was just up diving the Pinnacle Sat. with ORDiver and spatty. First dive trip and, well they can chime in and comment on how it worked :eek: .
Attachments
IMG_1292 comp.jpg
IMG_1291 comp.jpg
IMG_1290 comp.jpg
IMG_1289 comp.jpg
IMG_1288 comp.jpg
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

Nice looking boat! I'd love to write a review . . . :luv:
Kelly
no excuses
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by no excuses »

The most important part of the boat, nothing like a lil heat and a bathroom to use for a day on the water, makes Marie a happy camper also. Picked up an EPIRB and set up the VHS radio to talk to the GPS and recieved my MMSI number. I am also going to get a hand held VHS to go with the EPIRB in a ditch bag along with flares ect.
Attachments
IMG_1300 comp.jpg
spatman
I've Got Gills

Scuba-Doo II

Post by spatman »

Stan's new boat is AWESOME. Smooth ride and comfortable all-around. Thanks for a great day of diving!
ORDiver
Aquanaut

Post by ORDiver »

That boat is awesome. It got up quick and did a smooth 53mph through mild chop out to The Pinnacle. We were there in no time from Pleasant Harbor. I'm pretty sure that was the fastest boat I have been on.

We had two great (slightly cold) dives with a warm cabin to hang out in for our surface intervals. Other than one additional handle I really can't think of anything bad about that boat. I'm still kind of in awe at how amazing it was. I do wish we had taken some interior and dockside pictures though. I never think of pictures until after the diving is done. Damn, I guess we're going to have to go again!

Thanks for the day of diving.
no excuses
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by no excuses »

also added a couple of pieces of carpet to the transom to protect the boat while gearing up. It will also protect the boat while going over the transom to giant stride off the back off the boat and getting back in the boat.
Attachments
IMG_1299 comp.jpg
no excuses
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by no excuses »

it can hold 5 tanks in the main fish box
IMG_1301 comp.jpg

2 more tanks in the smaller fish box behind the main box
IMG_1302 comp.jpg

and one in each side of the transom fish box's
IMG_1303 comp.jpg
IMG_1304 comp.jpg
plus set up gear on the deck :supz:
no excuses
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by no excuses »

ktb wrote:Nice looking boat! I'd love to write a review . . . :luv:

no problem, will have to set it up. :partyman:
no excuses
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by no excuses »

ORDiver wrote:That boat is awesome. It got up quick and did a smooth 53mph through mild chop out to The Pinnacle. We were there in no time from Pleasant Harbor. I'm pretty sure that was the fastest boat I have been on.

We had two great (slightly cold) dives with a warm cabin to hang out in for our surface intervals. Other than one additional handle I really can't think of anything bad about that boat. I'm still kind of in awe at how amazing it was. I do wish we had taken some interior and dockside pictures though. I never think of pictures until after the diving is done. Damn, I guess we're going to have to go again!

Thanks for the day of diving.
Now Dave it only did 50mph with the 4 of us in it with 9tanks and that was for just a few seconds to burn the carbon out :angelblue: . Although it will do 53mph with just Marie and I in the boat and a half tank of fuel :taco: . We ran mid 30's most of the trip on the way out and only about 20 with the trim tabs buried to keep the bow down and smooth out the ride on the way back in with the chop. A handle will be great to help with getting out of the water. Hell yah we will have to go again :smt064
Last edited by no excuses on Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no excuses
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by no excuses »

spatman wrote:Stan's new boat is AWESOME. Smooth ride and comfortable all-around. Thanks for a great day of diving!
glad you had a good time, lets do it again :smt064
spatman
I've Got Gills

Scuba-Doo II

Post by spatman »

no excuses wrote:
spatman wrote:Stan's new boat is AWESOME. Smooth ride and comfortable all-around. Thanks for a great day of diving!
glad you had a good time, lets do it again :smt064
Just say when, amigo!
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Beautiful boat! As a boat owner myself, I appreciate little things like heat . . .
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
boydski
Submariner

Post by boydski »

no excuses wrote:I found a 24' North River with a 300hp Suzuki and a 9.9hp zuki kicker. It came with a Lowrance electronics, and a short 2 step dive ladder. I changed the dive ladder out, I bought the material and had the aluminum welded up. I asked Scott Boyd for specs and it works great (thanks Scott :taco: )
What a sweet set-up! Congratulations on the new boat. The ladder looks awesome! Are your two HDS units connected via Ethernet (so they can share sonar and synch waypoints)? Which VHS radio did you connect to them?
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

i think it's time to change your avatar, stan!

no excuses
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by no excuses »

What a sweet set-up! Congratulations on the new boat. The ladder looks awesome! Are your two HDS units connected via Ethernet (so they can share sonar and synch waypoints)? Which VHS radio did you connect to them?[/quote]

My VHS is a lowrance 250, I hooked up the radio to the gps using NEMA 0183, just make sure when trying to get the radio and gps to talk, that you are using the gps wires and not the wires from the depth finder as it will not talk to the radio lol :nutty: . My GPS is the Lowrance Global Map 5200C and I have the Lowrance 510C depth finder so I do not believe that they are the HDS units. ALthough they still might be able to connect to share sonar and synch points. I am still learning as I go lol.

I ended up using square stock for the main post on the ladder which made it easier to fit up without having to cope the tubes and also easier to weld up the steps and mounting ears. I only made the mounting ears out of 1/4" and wished I would have done them in 3/8" as I have the and had to use a few SS washers as spacers.
no excuses
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by no excuses »

spatman wrote:i think it's time to change your avatar, stan!

Done and Dave will have to change his :neener:
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

here's dave's reaction when you kicked the boat up to 50mph:
dave.jpg
boydski
Submariner

Post by boydski »

no excuses wrote: My GPS is the Lowrance Global Map 5200C and I have the Lowrance 510C depth finder so I do not believe that they are the HDS units. ALthough they still might be able to connect to share sonar and synch points. I am still learning as I go lol.
No, those are not HDS units (my mistake). The older Global Map units will not synch waypoints via Ethernet, but will "share" via NMEA 2000. When you set a waypoint, it will be "broadcast" on the NMEA 2000 network and any other units that can "hear" the waypoint broadcast will set the same waypoint. However, I think you have a dedicated chart plotter and a dedicated fish finder which will probably work better (Keep it Simple usually works better).

The Square stock for the ladder actually probably works better than the round tube that I have. Good idea! I'm looking forward to seeing you out in the new boat. VERY NICE!
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubak »

Very nice!!!
"Let's go diving!"