Strangest equipment failure ever!

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
airsix
I've Got Gills

Re: Strangest equipment failure ever!

Post by airsix »

Fishstiq wrote:Theory #2 - I don't know if anyone thought of this yet, but could the tank be almost empty?
Fixed it for you. But I know that's what you meant. ; )
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Fishstiq
Amphibian

Post by Fishstiq »

airsix wrote:
Fishstiq wrote:Theory #2 - I don't know if anyone thought of this yet, but could the tank be almost empty?
Fixed it for you. But I know that's what you meant. ; )

Thanx. It's good to know friends who've got yer back like a butt crack!
Not just front page famous, but above the fold famous...

Waiting for your AIDS test results is no time to be thinking positive.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

All this logic and physics is too much to hande. Seriously, there is nothing wrong with the tank people!! Betty Lou is using the Force to haunt the 1st spgs. It's all Koos' fault. :eek: The tank is fine.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Cera, would you do us all a favor and take the tank in and have somebody service it? I really want to know what the answer is.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

Yeah.. we need an

just for Koo's
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

LCF wrote:Cera, would you do us all a favor and take the tank in and have somebody service it? I really want to know what the answer is.
EANvis has left the building.
Cera
Submariner

Post by Cera »

Ok angry mob! I must apoligize because I did not know it would take me this long to get it in. We live 50 miles from the nearest shop and my husband just had surgery, so..... I dropped the tank off today. They were baffeled as well. After they let the air out of the tank (yes there was air in it! It took about 5 minutes for the all the air to come out too, just sayin') they are taking the valve apart. Hopefully we will know by Monday. They think that the tank stem valve may have broken? IDK? So the wait is almost over. Be patient grasshoppers... :rawlings: 2
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... THEY ARE NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING ... BUT THEY STILL BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN YOU PUSH THEM DOWN A FLIGHT OF STAIRS

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cera17
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

So after so many people asked what the psi remaining was, you just let them vent the tank completely without measuring it? #-o
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

to echo doug's comment, uh, y'all didn't put a pressure gauge on the tank to see what it was before dumping?

5 min is not very long. usually a full or half full tank takes far far longer than that if you are just 'opening the valve and letting air out' at a tolerable rate as opposed to setting up some second stage with a diffuser on it or a jacuzzi, even then it takes a bit of time to dump a 1/2 full tank. if you dump it fast enough to empty in 5 min if it was half full, the valve would have gotten totally covered in frost.

valve stem 'broken' ??
Cera wrote:Ok angry mob! I must apoligize because I did not know it would take me this long to get it in. We live 50 miles from the nearest shop and my husband just had surgery, so..... I dropped the tank off today. They were baffeled as well. After they let the air out of the tank (yes there was air in it! It took about 5 minutes for the all the air to come out too, just sayin') they are taking the valve apart. Hopefully we will know by Monday. They think that the tank stem valve may have broken? IDK? So the wait is almost over. Be patient grasshoppers... :rawlings: 2
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Oh well. Lets just all go diving now. :idea:
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
nwbobber
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by nwbobber »

Yup. I would have liked to know how much pressure it took to move gas into the tank. That would have settled the issue of how much was in it. Oh, well. I hope whatever it was, is fixed for you.
If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading - Lao Tzu
sitkadiver
Submariner

Post by sitkadiver »

Cera wrote:Now you realize why this is so bizzare, we thought that the HP ports had failed. It's a din vavle, No "J's" in sight.
I'm truely puzzled and cannot wait for the answer.... I've had two valve issues in the past, one was a frozen tank valve after water seeped into the valve in the middle of January up here. And the other issue was sorta wierd like yours, but I was using a yoke 1st stage on a pro valve. The O-ring slipped off and was making a buzzing noise. The o-ring and split and partially covered the yoke inlet part of my tank 1st stage, however, all my guages continued to work.

I looked at the APEX schematic and cannot see anything too obvious. Hopefully your LDS will hold in their hot little hands and be able to figure it out.
I do not believe in taking unnecesary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living.
-Charles Lindbergh
lundysd
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by lundysd »

In my experience, a tank with ~200psi will take at least 5 mins to drain if the valve is opened fully....
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

They drained it without checking the pressure?
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
Jeff Kruse
Compulsive Diver

Post by Jeff Kruse »

That sure sounds like an empty tank (<200psi).
whatevah
Aquanaut

Post by whatevah »

lundysd wrote:In my experience, a tank with ~200psi will take at least 5 mins to drain if the valve is opened fully....
That doesn't sound right to me at all.
“When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” -- John Muir
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

Try it next time you have a tank to VIP ;)
----
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Okey Dokey, this thread has run it's course, and is now degenerating fast. If you wish to discuss then discuss, anymore urinating in each other's general direction and I'm locking the thread.
:police:
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
whatevah
Aquanaut

Post by whatevah »

ljjames wrote:Try it next time you have a tank to VIP ;)
I've drained my cylinders to inspect them, swap valves etc a bunch of times though - that's why the statement struck me as inaccurate. Just went out to the garage, located my emptiest cylinder - it was an LP72 at 490psi. Hooked up a reg and hit the 2nd stage purge - took about 30 seconds to run it down from 490psi to 210psi (pressures from my digital gauge). Removed the reg, opened the valve fully and it took 76 seconds to equalize to atmospheric. I would expect a HP100 to equalize slightly faster as the volume at 200psi is a little less. 76 seconds can feel like a long time when it's that noisy, but it's a long way from 5+ minutes.
“When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” -- John Muir
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

in a dive shop, with people standing around (noise hazard and obnoxious) i will hazard a guess that unless they took it to the repair area and popped the old first stage with hose-n-towel (AKA tank draining device) on it, they may have just opened it to a tolerable hissing. if that is the case, then 5 min is not long in the grand scheme of things.

anyhow, it's a moot point. none of us (who are yappin') were there. the valve is getting rebuilt. we'll never really know the answer, and that is ok.
----
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Agreed Laura, which is why the discussion should probably draw to a close.

Move along folks, this horse is dead.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
lundysd
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by lundysd »

Whatevah -- do the same thing without a reg on and see how long it takes with the valve cracked.
Cera
Submariner

Post by Cera »

Ok, gosh, you guys kill me. OF COURSE they put a gauge on and checked, it read 0. So he opened the vavle, let it run, heard the air, opened it farther, let it run. Said "that much air should have registered." (I did not time how long it was open, so now I assume you will find some issue with the diveshop employee now) He put the gague back on. Nothing. Took it off, opened it again all the way open. Closed. Went and got someone else, opened the valve all the way, now two people are scratching thier heads. Again out comes the gauge. I just skipped that part, seemed obvious they would check that first.
I know 5 minutes is not a 'really long time' but it is WAY more than 200psi. Especially after having been opened 3-4 more times in the shop. There is no way it would have not registered. Especially since the begining of this the valve had been opened AT LEAST 10-15 different times, just to see if there was air in it. If it makes you feel better, you can just tell yourself it was empty and move on, I don't really care. I don't need validation. I posted this because it was strange. Empty tank is not strange.
I will try to let everyone else know the results when I get them. I expected them by now. I will call today.
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... THEY ARE NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING ... BUT THEY STILL BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN YOU PUSH THEM DOWN A FLIGHT OF STAIRS

Jeff Kruse
Compulsive Diver

Post by Jeff Kruse »

Even if the valve was 99.9% blocked it will still read the exact pressure of the tank if you wait a few minutes.
Cera
Submariner

Post by Cera »

Shop said they took it apart, and did a valve rebuild and it worked. I guess they weren't as interested in finding out the problem as I was. Sorry to get everyone so excited.