What's your favorite backup light?

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
trevorrowe
Extreme Diving Machine

What's your favorite backup light?

Post by trevorrowe »

I'm in the market for 1 (or 2) backup lights, the puppies and ice cream type (it must have an attachment point for a bolt snap so I can clip it off to my harness).

I have been using the piranha (dorcy branded) penetrator 220 lights for over a year now. I am a bit annoyed by their habit to turn on from ambient pressure and run the batteries dead when I'm not expecting them to be on. I also find them to be a bit flakey on getting into the on position, something I don't expect from my backup-oh-snap light.

That said, there are a *lot* of options out there, but I'm looking for feedback on what lights people like. Id prefer to keep the lights around $150 or less (there are plenty of $500 backup lights, to expensive at this time).
LCF
I've Got Gills

Re: What's your favorite backup light?

Post by LCF »

We have been using the Dorcys, but if you don't like them, another pretty cheap option is to look for someone selling the old Xenon Scouts. We picked up a couple for $50 apiece, and then put the UK SL4 eLED modules in them -- total cost was about $110 per unit and we got a nice, waterproof flashlight as well as the backup light out of the deal.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

the Hollis LED5 is a fantastic backup for the price.. it has a very tight beam and out performs some primary lights!

http://www.hollisgear.com/prodview.asp?id=131

Its a "twist on" type that can have a bolt-snap tied on the back and can be placed on your harness.

I have a few of these and you are welcome to try one sometime if you are in the area.

A tip for the "turn itself on under pressure", on the surface, turn the bezel just until the light goes off, then hold the light head in the one hand and hold the body of the light your in other hand and apply tons of pressure, the light will "turn on" as if it was under pressure in the water.. then just un-twist it a little more, apply pressure again, repeat this until it doenst turn on with pressure anymore..

tadaa, your light will not turn on with pressure anymore :)

"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
trevorrowe
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by trevorrowe »

kdupreez wrote:tadaa, your light will not turn on with pressure anymore :)
I appreciate your suggestion. I have just been turning it off, and then turning it more off. But thats not my only gripe. I've also found the hole in the back of the light to have sharp edges which has already cut through cave line twice. I've also managed to flood one light (maybe I backed it off more than I should have?) and hence I am done one of my backups. At this point, I'm prepared to look for something a bit more Trevor-proof. :)

The hollis led5 looks interesting. Keep the suggestions rolling!
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

the intova compact torch 4.7w is my favorite backup light so far. bright, small, tough as hell, and relatively cheap.

INTCT.jpg
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef »

http://www.nwdiveclub.com/viewtopic.php ... ek#p135556

still the best that i have seen or used.
Chin high, puffed chest, we step right to it
The choice is there ain't no choice but to pursue it

"Diving the gas is the easy part, not much to it, plenty of retards are using it safely. " jamieZ
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

spatman wrote:the intova compact torch 4.7w is my favorite backup light so far. bright, small, tough as hell, and relatively cheap.
INTCT.jpg
+1 for the intova
I do wish it was a twist-on instead of the button on the back. I've unintentionally turned it on to the flashing mode a few times.
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

I have 2 photon torpedos. Love them. Upgraded both with better LED's, but other than that, they seem to just be a pretty dead simple bomb proof light. Like Lynne said, keep an eye out for used ones (bought both mine used) Never had much trouble with them coming on at depth because of the double o-ring seal and the tight machining tolerances on the threads.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
trevorrowe
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by trevorrowe »

spatman wrote:the intova compact torch 4.7w is my favorite backup light so far. bright, small, tough as hell, and relatively cheap.
I found the intova at divegearexpress but they seem to offer more than one intova. The one you linked looks like the last one pictured, but that one has a magnetic switch instead of a twist-on. Does yours have that feature? If so, how sturdy do you feel the switch is. Its interesting to me, especially considering the luck I had with my last double-o-ring twist on light, but Id be disappointed if the switch was easy to bump on unexpectedly.

Also, is yours powered by lithium cells? Maybe this is a completely different light.
trevorrowe
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by trevorrowe »

I loved this light, until I started diving as a tech diver. The switch gets turned on automatically by my harness strap (a major problem), and my battery drained before the dives even started.

Now, the whole switch assembly CAME OFF and I couldn't use the light at all! I loved the light, but the switch assembly was a piece of garbage. I will only use twist-on lights from now on. (even my $4.95 cheapo yellow light that I bought at leisure pro is much more reliable)
Lol, just found this review online, and a similar one from a different website. I'm thinking its not the same light.
Ken G
I've Got Gills

Post by Ken G »

Burntchef wrote:http://www.nwdiveclub.com/viewtopic.php ... ek#p135556

still the best that i have seen or used.
I have to agree with this. I bought two and am very happy with the performance.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

trevorrowe wrote:
I loved this light, until I started diving as a tech diver. The switch gets turned on automatically by my harness strap (a major problem), and my battery drained before the dives even started.

Now, the whole switch assembly CAME OFF and I couldn't use the light at all! I loved the light, but the switch assembly was a piece of garbage. I will only use twist-on lights from now on. (even my $4.95 cheapo yellow light that I bought at leisure pro is much more reliable)
Lol, just found this review online, and a similar one from a different website. I'm thinking its not the same light.
yeah, i broke one of the magnetic switch models quickly. don't get that one, obviously. this model has a recessed button on the butt:

http://www.leisurepro.com/prod/INTCT.html

whereas this is the one with the crappy switch:

http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/INTT.html
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Man .dir is all over the board these days.. I have a 55.00 made from UK .. The SL3 its the bomb!!!
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

INTCT.jpg
I have been diving the magnetic push type for awhile and found you have to be careful or the boltsnap will turn the light on. Haven't looked into perhaps moving the boltsnap on the side but will eventually when the light comes on more than just once every 5 or so dives (from throwing my gear around) I use inner tube to secure my backup to my harness FYI. Battery is 3 AAAs

Flooded my sl4 because i backed it off to much but the light went back to working after a rinse. Led dropin on these lights.

DIR calls for screw type i do believe so...and alkeline batteries
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

SL3_eLED2L.jpg
Boo Ya ... DIR
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

For $50 I'll build you a sweet UK SL4 with a cree R2 LED modul. Pretty much bullet proof and it puts out a strong well focused beam, will work on rechargeable or alkalines
vlad
Aquaphile

Post by vlad »

+2 on Intova. I have two currently, one regular and one wide angle. Wide angle is really good for night dives as focusing/video light. Before that, one of their earlier models died on me during the dive and it wasn't flooding. It just got dimmer and dimmer and then turned off completely. Battery change didn't help.

I'm also considering this one:

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/ultrafire- ... 3-aa-20762

Looks good, if you are okay with a few months wait time (worst case, usually they are not that bad) to get your shipment.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

vlad wrote:+2 on Intova. I have two currently, one regular and one wide angle. Wide angle is really good for night dives as focusing/video light. Before that, one of their earlier models died on me during the dive and it wasn't flooding. It just got dimmer and dimmer and then turned off completely. Battery change didn't help.

Looks good, if you are okay with a few months wait time (worst case, usually they are not that bad) to get your shipment.
Not what I would call glowing reviews. I wouldn't spend my money on it.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Dusty2 wrote:
vlad wrote:+2 on Intova. I have two currently, one regular and one wide angle. Wide angle is really good for night dives as focusing/video light. Before that, one of their earlier models died on me during the dive and it wasn't flooding. It just got dimmer and dimmer and then turned off completely. Battery change didn't help.

Not what I would call glowing reviews. I wouldn't spend my money on it.
There's quite a few people out there who've put new guts into the head and made great lights. It's not a great light out of the box, but for the price, even with some new parts, it's an inexpensive backup.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
trevorrowe
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by trevorrowe »

Both the hollis led5 and the intova both seem like good lights. The hollis looks to be better constructed and has a twitst on instead of a push button, but clocks in at twice the price.

I think I'll try out the $50 intova. If its not to my liking them I'll probably try out the hollis next.
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

if you want to try a hollis, let me know.. I usually dive west seattle or up in mukilteo..
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
Alexitt
Submariner

Post by Alexitt »

I've got a couple of UK SL3's that I'm pretty happy with... 125 lumens according to the paperwork but we all know how that can be... Still they're bright enough for me, not so bulky as my others, and they hold up well enough...
-Alex-

"so in the interest of advising something...let's see..."the early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!" -Eliseaboo

ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

Dusty2 wrote:For $50 I'll build you a sweet UK SL4 with a cree R2 LED modul. Pretty much bullet proof and it puts out a strong well focused beam, will work on rechargeable or alkalines
I've tried the Intova lights and was major disappointed so that was out.

Took Dusty up on this offer plus bought a LED module to upgrade the SL4 I already have. I picked up the package at the Post Office today.

First, I found a dark place, our garage, to try the LED SL4 vs. the Original SL4. (Remember we are in 24 hour daylight here so finding dark is a challenge). WOW. Big difference. Definitely bright enough for any use. My only question was/is whether the frequency of the LED light will penetrate gunk we swim in or fire smoke. And I like the idea of C cells for their longer life. As far as I could see I had a winner in both price and performance.

Then I got a scare. I followed instructions to change the battery position in my SL4 to match polarity of the new LED module. No light. Changed to new batteries. Still no light. At this point I was happy I was dealing with someone on this board who I knew would stand behind the product.

Wait a minute, different brands of batteries sometimes have different sizes. I was using Energizer batteries but the completed SL4 from Dusty had Copper Tops in it. So, I put Coppyer Tops in my light. It worked! Apparently I just need to phase out Energizers in favor of Duracells.

Haven't had the lights in the water yet. That won't happen for about a month. But it looks like a fine light and I know from experience the SL4 is durable. While this LED module's durability is an unknown quantity all the others I've used have been really tough.

So far, so good and not a lot of money. Win-Win.
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

Any updates? I suppose I should accost folks at dive sites but somebody (cough, Trever, cough) ended up working late.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
trevorrowe
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by trevorrowe »

I purchased from amazon the intova light (the one without the silly magnetic switch, has a push button in the back). Right now amazon.com (where I purcahsed it from) has them on sale (I paid $50, they are now $36) http://www.amazon.com/Intova-ICOM-Compa ... d_sim_sg_6.

So far I have been very happy. Light output is similar to the piranha backup light I was replacing, maybe a bit less, but I don't mind. I haven't had the light go on by itself and drain the battery down, so I am more pleased either way.

If you want to check it out, I'll let you see/try it at the next MMM.