Oceanic VT 4.0 Preview & Info

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

I just got word that the Oceanic VT 4.0 dive computer will be shipping at the end of this month. I'm really looking forward to those hitting the market as they're greatly improved over the VT3 (which I dive in warm water).

I had a chance to demo a VT 4.0 while I was in the Cayman Islands, and wrote an article about the new features and my impression of the unit, with a promise to Oceanic that I wouldn't publish it until the computers were close to being released, which they now are.

Without further ado, here's the article, complete with photos of the test units getting put through the final checks:

Oceanic VT 4.0 Dive Computer Preview
mancub
Dive-aholic

Post by mancub »

Calvin

Thanks for linking the article. Good read. The vt4 appears to be roughly the same size and shape as the vt3. Do you think the new one will fit the vt3 DSS bungee mount? I'm assuming you use that for your current vt3 ;).

I currently dive the geo 2 which is awesome. Has the dual algorithm and step back interface, along with the usual bells and whistles of oceanic. However, I agree with you, the wrist-watch size is a bit small at times. Especially in the Puget Sound. Great on vacay, but if the new vt4 fits in a DSS bungee mount I'm sold.

All this to say, I really like the geo 2. IMO all the Oceanics are pretty similar, it just comes down to form factor.
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Re: Oceanic VT 4.0 Preview & Info

Post by Tangfish »

mancub,

I actually was not even aware of the bungee mount for the VT3, but now I want one!

Looking at the DSS product page for the mount, I see that it fits both the VT3 and the VT Pro. Since I had all three of them side-by-side I'm guessing that the VT 4.0 will fit into it just fine. But, I have a word out to Tobin to confirm this and will let you know what the answer is.

I completely agree with your assessment of Oceanic computers - they are very similar from model to model and it does boil down to the form factor and some of the more advance features (like, how many transmitters you need to be running, whether you want a digital compass, etc.). I have occasionally been tempted by other, sexy looking dive computers, but when it comes down to it I use my Oceanics for diving in warm water and they're so dependable that I can just toss em in my suitcase after not using them for weeks/months and not think about it. I really like the simplicity of design and that the algorithms let me make the most of my bottom times.

Glad to hear that you like your Geo, I haven't had the pleasure of trying one out yet but it looks nice!
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Re: Oceanic VT 4.0 Preview & Info

Post by Tangfish »

And here's the answer on the bungee mount:
We have not had a VT 4 in our possession to test yet, so we can not answer the question. When we look at photos they appear similar, but with some obvious differences. If the VT 4 has the exact same size & shape, then it probably would fit, but there are other issues such as where the data port is located.
I'm thinking that it's worthwhile to wait a bit and see before buying the current bungee mount for the VT 4.0.

PS - don't tell anyone but I actually really liked it on a retractor!
mancub
Dive-aholic

Post by mancub »

Thanks for following up with Tobin.

Haha I won't tell anyone about the retractor.

My buddy was unaware of the VT3 bungee mount as well. When I got one for him he was impressed and loves the automatic depth compensation more than anything.