Anyone Using a FFM?

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
E_Mo
Aquaphile

Anyone Using a FFM?

Post by E_Mo »

I am looking into getting a full face mask, anyone using them? Any brand/models to stay away from? I'm looking into the Ocean Reef Neptune G Diver mask.

Anyone using communication sets? One person told me the receiver head piece can't be used with a hood?

Anyone know of a local place that rents full face masks so I can try one out?

Any advice is appreciated...
Last edited by E_Mo on Sat May 28, 2011 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. -Unknown
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Anyone Using a FFM?

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

Why do you want one? Most people that I know that have tried them have gone back to regular masks.
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
E_Mo
Aquaphile

Re: Anyone Using a FFM?

Post by E_Mo »

I've been thinking about getting one for three main reasons, 1-communication, 2-the ability to breathe through my nose and 3- having that little bit of extra warmth having a fully dry face.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. -Unknown
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

I've used and owned one when it was necessary for the commercial work I was doing (bridge inspections). Frankly I think they are completely inappropriate for recreational diving and sold mine years ago. I've never looked back. Reduced field of vision, high internal volume, inability to switch regulators seamlessly with another diver in an emergency... They sound great in theory but the experience falls short. Get a well fitting hood and practice hand and light signals for better communication. Those are my recommendations as someone who's tried it already.
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Sabre_Rider
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Sabre_Rider »

People may laugh at me, :rofl: but I have one of those cheapy cressi full face masks. I like it. I have a mustache and beard, always fought the leaks and hate stuff like vasiline and such to help it seal. I bought one of these masks a few years back and have dove it ever since. Upsides, even if there is a leak, every exhale purges the water out of it in upright positions. My face is warm, can breathe out my nose, but find I rarely do, and it seals to my hood well, and most dives my hair barely gets wet. Downsides, ya it probably cuts the field of vision a bit, but my neck works fine to swivel my head, and surface swims, I either use my backup mask and snorkel which is always with me, or swim on my back. As far as reg swaps, my setup included an air source and an octo, so things are covered there. I keep my spare mask in a leg pocket. I plan on someday upgrading to a better mask, but for now, this one works for me. :supz:
Do you want to add years to your life, or life to your years?
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

I volunteer at the Aquarium and we use the AGA system. I was really looking forward to using it when I started. As a communication tool it's.....useful. I agree with the shortcomings in-numerated. As an everyday scuba tool it's kind of a pain. You get used to it but if it was not a requirement I'd use my own mask anytime.
It is warmer, I like breathing through my nose, but it's still not worth it, especially considering the cost and complexity.

The Aquarium did demo the Ocean Reef mask system for awhile (I don't remember which line/model). They were a complete bust and sent back. No one liked them. Head up they were fine. I did like the nose block system better and fit was decent for me. Head down they would free flow. There was an exhaust adjustment that would stop the free flow. Once adjusted you could barely exhale. Totally unacceptable. I have no idea if they dealt with the problems but I'd certainly want to check them out thoroughly before a purchase.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
sitkadiver
Submariner

Post by sitkadiver »

E Mo,

Sorry took long to reply.

I've been diving an AGA Divator MK II off and on for more than 10 years. I have to say I love using it. I used it on a sport dive last weekend to 95feet and had no issues with it. My air consumption was about the same as I my buddy and I was definately warmer.

If you're after communications, I would suggest rethinking that for sport diving. AIRSIX is right, you're better off being able to use hand signals. With comms, your buddy will have to have the same set-up as you and they are just one more thing maintiain.

I started using the AGA when I was doing the DEC survey's for the local fish plants. After doing a few and getting sick to my stomach, I found that little bits of fish gurry were making their way form my mustache into my GI track. I also found that after doing bottom work, I was coming up with pinkish colored bottom paint on my face. My drysuit was usually dark red with the stuff. I heard enough people tell it was toxic that I decided there was no way I could avoid a full face mask. Plus winter diving in Alaska meant every extra bit of warmth was welcome.

I've never dove an Ocean Reef system, but if you're considering an AGA, here's how mine is set-up. Keep in mind that the air supply hose for the AGA comes over your left shoulder and you may have to re-configure your gear a bit. There are also tons of swivel adaptors on the market if you want to route it under your arm.

First, I would recommend an ABV. The AB valve allows you to breathe on the surface without using tank air. Great for walking to the dive site or anything that requires you to breathe out of the water while wearing the mask.

There is a positive pressure option with AGA, and maybe the other brands, I would NOT get this. It would be wise to get it if you're going to be diving in contaminated water or something, but if that's the case, you're better off with a KM anyway.

The positive pressure regs have a small switch below the exhaust valve, mine does not have this feature. I have dove the positive pressure regs with surface supplied air, but for scuba, it's a waste.

The mask skirts on the AGA are super comfortable in my opinion. I have worn this mask for 2 hours at a time and other AGA's for long periods without it being an issue. Keep in mind they will "rise up" on your face if you're vertical in the water.

One more thing. The nose block on the AGA is removeable, if you get one, look for a spare nose block.

I almost forgot, FFM don't come with a 1st stage,so the cost is usually just for the mask and supply hose.
I do not believe in taking unnecesary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living.
-Charles Lindbergh
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

I could never clear my ears with a damn with the AGA nose block. And I tried all the sizes and adjustments possible. With all the shallow ups-downs in the aquarium I'd be sore for days after those dives. Its one of the reasons I stopped volunteering there. I'd never voluntarily, OW, fun dive a FFM.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
sitkadiver
Submariner

Post by sitkadiver »

CaptnJack wrote:I could never clear my ears with a damn with the AGA nose block. And I tried all the sizes and adjustments possible. With all the shallow ups-downs in the aquarium I'd be sore for days after those dives. Its one of the reasons I stopped volunteering there. I'd never voluntarily, OW, fun dive a FFM.
That's a very good point. I've heard this A LOT. Perhaps you should borrow a FFM and play with it before you spring the cash to buy one.

Personally, never had an issue with clearing, and it surprises me since my septum is pretty much S shaped.
I do not believe in taking unnecesary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living.
-Charles Lindbergh
E_Mo
Aquaphile

Post by E_Mo »

I think I am going to pass on the comm's, and have narrowed my search down to the OTS Guardian and the Ocean Reef Neptune G. Divers masks. I've found local shops that sell FFM's, but none that rent them or have demo models. Mancub has hooked me up with someone who has given a lot of info regarding the Guardian mask and has offered to let me try out his in the pool... which just leaves the Ocean Reef mask, anyone know where I can try one of these masks out?
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

You should think about the whole, "share air option" which in a full face mask you don't have that option unless you use the full face mask that allows you to use a second stage through the mask. I'm sure it looks creepy but it would be a better option for recreational diving. Just My 2 cents. :dontknow:
I use the AGA mask at the Aquarium using surface supplied air and have done some training for the open water application where we they have a switching system connected to a pony for an alternate air source.
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

BASSMAN wrote:You should think about the whole, "share air option" which in a full face mask you don't have that option unless you use the full face mask that allows you to use a second stage through the mask. I'm sure it looks creepy but it would be a better option for recreational diving. Just My 2 cents. :dontknow:
I use the AGA mask at the Aquarium using surface supplied air and have done some training for the open water application where we they have a switching system connected to a pony for an alternate air source.
Conventional octo works assuming the buddy isn't in FFM. But yeah ditching the mask to get gas blind is not something you want to do for real on the first try, might be your only try.:)
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
E_Mo
Aquaphile

Post by E_Mo »

Thanks for the info/opinions, after all considered, I decided to not go with the FFM and am going to use the money I saved on a canister light instead... seems like a much better investment for our waters.
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

in the long run everything considered, i think you will be happy with that decision :)
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"