drysuit gloves: opinions anyone?

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Biodiversity_Guy
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Biodiversity_Guy »

I keep thinking it is time to migrate over to drysuit gloves. I have been using 3mm wet gloves for good dexterity since I use a camera, but as my dives get longer I can see the advantage of drysuit gloves. It seems like there are a fair number of options and different makes and models.

I would love to learn your opinion about which choice you would make if you were getting into a new set of drysuit gloves with what you know now.

Ease of donning (I often solo dive), resulting dexterity, durability, frequency of leaks--those seem to me to be some of the more relevant criteria for making a decision.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance for your help and insights.
trevorrowe
Extreme Diving Machine

Re: drysuit gloves: opinions anyone?

Post by trevorrowe »

Viking Bayonet Rings. I recommend just the stripped ring kit, no gloves or liners. Go to Seattle marine and fishing supply company and pick up some of their blue or orange pvc gloves for $3. Then pick up a good thick pair of ragwool gloves as liners. They are easy to install and easy to don/doff.

http://comdive.com/ringkits.html
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

trevorrowe wrote:Viking Bayonet Rings. I recommend just the stripped ring kit, no gloves or liners. Go to Seattle marine and fishing supply company and pick up some of their blue or orange pvc gloves for $3. Then pick up a good thick pair of ragwool gloves as liners. They are easy to install and easy to don/doff.

http://comdive.com/ringkits.html
+1 for the viking bayonets, for all the reasons above, with all the recommendations above.
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

OOP's Revision... original rings were Si Tech not viking
Bare supplied the viking rings with my first dry suit and I never could get them to seal right.
Diving concepts is my choice. I installed them with the wrist seals inside and have never looked back. They are sometimes a pita to get off after a dive but they seal good and don't leak.

I agree with the Atlas gloves that seattle marine sells. You can get them at the marine supply store in Port Townsend or just about any marine or fishing supply place. They are pretty much the glove of choice for most divers. They are cheap and tough as hell. I keep some regular size ones at home and in my RV for all those dirty little jobs that tend to come up. Like emptying my holding tanks, changing my oil, working in the garden. Rag wool or 100% synthetic liners completes my setup.
Last edited by Dusty2 on Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

I made my own rings, but I've heard good things about the vikings.

I'm not a fan of the blue gloves, they always felt too stiff to me. I prefer these - http://www.harborfreight.com/rubber-bla ... -4468.html They seem to last forever, I replace mine about once a year when I get a small hole in them, but for $8 it's not a big deal.

Good luck, dry hands are the best!
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I use the Viking rings. I like them because they are very easy to mount on the suit, and to remove. In addition, you can swap out a glove in the field in about three minutes, with no tools. I use the orange Atlas gloves, because they fit me better than the blue ones. I probably change my right glove three times a year (never put a hole in the left one, somehow -- anybody need some medium left gloves?) The Viking system is a hazmat system, so once you get the rings locked, they CANNOT pop off, and if you keep the o-ring clean, they almost never leak.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

i use the si-tech quick glove system and it's been great for me.

http://www.sitech.se/pages/default_uk.a ... ionID=3363
diverden
Compulsive Diver

Post by diverden »

I've used the Viking bayonet system and found them to be pretty difficult to turn to lock in place and to remove. Perhaps lube might have helped that, they were on a suit I was borrowing. The plus side is that they are VERY secure and don't leak until you put a hole in your glove.

On my old suit I had the Viking classic cuffs -- very simple design: 2 parts and it's just a cuff that pinches onto your latex wrist seal. To don the gloves, you just stretch some of the rubber type gloves over the cuff. I found these to be difficult to self don/doff as well but the plus is their simplicity. If you have smaller hands, you might have to go with a glove that's a bit too big for comfort because the smaller gloves make it much harder to stretch over the cuff and more likely to tear during donning. They'll work with a wide variety of gloves as long as the materiel is stretchy.

I bought a new Santi drysuit about 9 months ago and had them install the si-tech quick cuff system that spatman has provided a link for. (The link also shows the Viking classic system: the rubber cuff.) These are my favorite of the three but it did take me a while to get the hang of it because I improperly lubed the system and when donning, would extrude the o-ring. I cleaned that up and installed the thick black gloves with the built in liner and have only had a couple leaks in 100 dives or so. I noticed the leaks right away and just reseated the glove before descending.

They are all very popular and as with all gear, you'll probably get a lot of differing opinions. As far as liners go, I definitely prefer the built in lining -- one less thing to worry about. I've also used separate liners and personally found wool to less comfortable than some poly liners I got at REI. I switched for the same reason you did: longer dives. Before I went dry, my hands got so cold they stopped functioning to the point where I didn't feel safe.

-Dennis
raptor
Dive-aholic

Post by raptor »

Si teck just got them a few weeks ago. They are great no tools required go on in ten min and I had never installed any dry glove before. Plus you can use any glove you want. I got the $3 special.
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

I have the DC rings with the wrist seals intact, and use Deep See neo gloves. Good mobility and they're nice and warm. In the summertime I've forgotten to wear liners and my hands were just fine!
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Re: Re: drysuit gloves: opinions anyone?

Post by Joshua Smith »

scottsax wrote:I have the DC rings with the wrist seals intact, and use Deep Sea neo gloves. Good mobility and they're nice and warm. In the summertime I've forgotten to wear liners and my hands were just fine!

I use the DC rings and the deep sea gloves as well. The gloves are tough enough that I don't bother with wrist seals. Dexterity and mobility are excellent, IMO. Better than wet gloves, at any rate. And without wrist seals, there's no problem getting air into the gloves, which helps keep your hands warm. And the DC gloves pop on and off very easilly, no problem putting them on or taking them off myself.
Last edited by Joshua Smith on Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

Joshua Smith wrote:
scottsax wrote:I have the DC rings with the wrist seals intact, and use Deep See neo gloves. Good mobility and they're nice and warm. In the summertime I've forgotten to wear liners and my hands were just fine!

I use the DC rings and the deep sea gloves as well. The gloves are tough enough that I don't bother with wrist seals. Dexterity and mobility are excellent, IMO. Better than wet gloves, at any rate. And without wrist seals, there's no problem getting air into the gloves, which helps keep your hands warm. And the DC gloves POP on and off very easilly, no problem putting them on or taking them off myself.
+10000 for easy on and off for dc rings. I've used only 3 types and dc was the best IMOO
trevorrowe
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by trevorrowe »

diverden wrote:I've used the Viking bayonet system and found them to be pretty difficult to turn to lock in place and to remove.
When you purchase the viking bayonet ring system you can get them with two different o-rings. I prefer the smaller oring, the larger (thicker?) o-rig is for hazmat work and is a bit stiff. If you order from the comdive guy he gives you the option on which oring to include.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Joshua Smith wrote:
scottsax wrote:I have the DC rings with the wrist seals intact, and use Deep See neo gloves. Good mobility and they're nice and warm. In the summertime I've forgotten to wear liners and my hands were just fine!

I use the DC rings and the deep sea gloves as well. The gloves are tough enough that I don't bother with wrist seals. Dexterity and mobility are excellent, IMO. Better than wet gloves, at any rate. And without wrist seals, there's no problem getting air into the gloves, which helps keep your hands warm. And the DC gloves POP on and off very easilly, no problem putting them on or taking them off myself.
No problem gettin them on but for some reason my right one has become a pita to break loose. I use the orange atlas gloves and light polar fleece liners (read cheapo store gloves)
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

I moved from Viking classic to SiTec a while back simply for ease of self donning. The classics where great, but I was always holding up the show. I have the SiTecs installed with their permanent rings which makes them quite compact and seal changes are a 2 minute snap-off/on affair. I love them other than the price but I only cried once. Glad I have them.
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

airsix wrote:I have the SiTecs installed with their permanent rings which makes them quite compact and seal changes are a 2 minute snap-off/on affair.
permanent rings? is that this system?
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I wonder if some of the trouble people have with the Viking system is that they try to close the rings too much -- I was told, when I bought mine, that you only have to rotate the rings about a quarter of an inch to get them to seal, and that's true. If you close them too much, I'll agree that they become very interesting to remove! (That's what teeth are for.)
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Matt S.
Submariner

Post by Matt S. »

Joshua Smith wrote:
scottsax wrote:I have the DC rings with the wrist seals intact, and use Deep Sea neo gloves. Good mobility and they're nice and warm. In the summertime I've forgotten to wear liners and my hands were just fine!

I use the DC rings and the deep sea gloves as well.
Triple ditto for DC rings and Deep Sea neoprene gloves! I used to have SI-Tech rings and smurf gloves but I am much happier with the DC system. They can be hard to pop off but they go ON super fast and that is much more important to me. And, I have never had a leak.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Don't know if this has been mentioned....

Plus a bunch for the Viking rings.

I use sandblasting gloves that they sell at Harbor Frieght. They are easy to pull on as they have a long sleeve, and I've never had a leak problem. Plus they are a bit beefy and it would take more than a casual scrape to puncture them, yet they work fine for the small work of using my camera. Oh, and they cost Six bucks. And last forever.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
inflex
Avid Diver

Post by inflex »

This is personal observation, but it seems on just about every trip, someone’s locking ring system floods. Doesn’t matter which brand, the locking systems just seem prone to flooding.

I made my own pullover system. $6 rubber plumbing coupling cut in half, put each half inside a latex wrist seal, and viola, pull-over dry glove system. You can add some vacuum bands for additional security (find the right size that sits perfectly in the groove of the coupling).

Very easy to don/take off, never had a leak, and no impacts to dexterity (really dependent on how much liner you wear underneath). Wrist seal still seals against your wrist in case the system fails.
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

spatman wrote:
airsix wrote:I have the SiTecs installed with their permanent rings which makes them quite compact and seal changes are a 2 minute snap-off/on affair.
permanent rings? is that this system?
Yes, the "Quick Cuff" is glued permanently into the cuff of the drysuit sleeve. You can snap seals on and off like a "zip seal", but it doesn't require a proprietary seal. Any old seal will work. If you have the glove-lock system it snaps right onto the quick cuff.
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

airsix wrote:Yes, the "Quick Cuff" is glued permanently into the cuff of the drysuit sleeve. You can snap seals on and off like a "zip seal", but it doesn't require a proprietary seal. Any old seal will work. If you have the glove-lock system it snaps right onto the quick cuff.
that looks pretty cool. i'll look into that when i'm ready to upgrade.
Matt S.
Submariner

Post by Matt S. »

I have the Quick Cuff system on one of my suits and the things always leaked. However, the suit was bought used and for all I know they weren't installed properly.

Has anyone used the UTD dry gloves?

http://utdequipment.com/product_info.ph ... cts_id=150

They say that the rings are smaller diameter than other systems which actually sounds really appealing. I wonder who the OEM is?
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

inflex wrote:This is personal observation, but it seems on just about every trip, someone’s locking ring system floods. Doesn’t matter which brand, the locking systems just seem prone to flooding.

I made my own pullover system. $6 rubber plumbing coupling cut in half, put each half inside a latex wrist seal, and viola, pull-over dry glove system. You can add some vacuum bands for additional security (find the right size that sits perfectly in the groove of the coupling).

Very easy to don/take off, never had a leak, and no impacts to dexterity (really dependent on how much liner you wear underneath). Wrist seal still seals against your wrist in case the system fails.
That why I've stuck with wet gloves--I always hear about someone's dryglove system leaking. I'm curious about what you've done, but I can't picture it. Can you snap a photo to share?
Kelly
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

i always hear about people always hearing about leaking drygloves.