BP/W Q's...

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
selkie
Submariner

Re: BP/W Q's...

Post by selkie »

CaptnJack wrote:
Nwbrewer wrote:
Jeff Pack wrote:So if you have all your weight in the BC (integrated), is that ok for a boat dive, or do I need to consider a weight belt as well?
As long as -
1. Your BC will float all the weight
2. You can lift it into the boat.

There's no issue.
This works. Anything where you can remove the lead before removing the buoyancy is best on my boat (and many others). Have a problem whatever, hand up removable weight pouches or the whole belt. You can pull the rip cord on the DUI weight and trim sure. BUT its such a pain to rethread it for dive 2 that divers are loath to actually do it. And there are no handles on the pounches themselves to grab onto. So people go through various awkward contortions to avoid that. I generally have them ditch their BC in the water while holding onto the side of the boat. Then hold a shoulder strap on the weight and trim while they slip out of it. Not really that safe honestly because if they lose hold of the boat they are sinking to the bottom. I am not sure why people like the weight and trims anyway, the lead is still around your waist hyperextending your back. And on dry land its now hanging off your shoulders instead of on your hips where it belongs. Seems like an expensive solution to a non-problem to me but I am willing to listen to what they achieve for others.
When I was still using the DUI harness I had a couple of tricks for entering small boats. First on some boats a large caribener is used to attach your BC to the boat. I would hook both BC and harness at the same time then roll out of both. The problem with this is the harness is heavy to pull into the boat and you can always make a mistake. The other method I used was to place my weights in mesh bags within the harness pockets. Then I just removed the bags of weight placing them in the boat and rolled out of the BC that is attached to the boat. I did all of this with a transpac and wing. I am not sure I see the reasoning of using the harness with a weight integrated BC.
"A man must have some wit to know he is a fool"

Maritime Archaeological Society (MAS)
http://maritimearchaeological.org/

Northwest Diving History Association (NWDHA)
http://www.divinghistory.org/
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Good idea with the carabiner holding onto everything at once (harness strap & BC strap). I could do that for the rare weight and trim using guest I have.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

CaptnJack wrote:I am not sure why people like the weight and trims anyway, the lead is still around your waist hyperextending your back. And on dry land its now hanging off your shoulders instead of on your hips where it belongs. Seems like an expensive solution to a non-problem to me but I am willing to listen to what they achieve for others.
I like mine because I can adjust where the weight sits vertically. I have mine adjusted so that the weight sits an inch or two lower than my actual waist. I also like that it distributes the burden of carrying the weight to my shoulders, which helps on long walks to a shore entry.
selkie
Submariner

Post by selkie »

spatman wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:I am not sure why people like the weight and trims anyway, the lead is still around your waist hyperextending your back. And on dry land its now hanging off your shoulders instead of on your hips where it belongs. Seems like an expensive solution to a non-problem to me but I am willing to listen to what they achieve for others.
I like mine because I can adjust where the weight sits vertically. I have mine adjusted so that the weight sits an inch or two lower than my actual waist. I also like that it distributes the burden of carrying the weight to my shoulders, which helps on long walks to a shore entry.
Spatty,
You used your harness with a bp/w setup do you still use it for your sidemounts?
"A man must have some wit to know he is a fool"

Maritime Archaeological Society (MAS)
http://maritimearchaeological.org/

Northwest Diving History Association (NWDHA)
http://www.divinghistory.org/
Peter Guy
Compulsive Diver

Post by Peter Guy »

Jeff Pack -- I use a BP/W and a DUI wt and trim (and I've dived off Capt Jack's, and others, RIB) and never had a problem with the wt and trim.

One of the things you'd notice in switching to a BP/W, especially if you use one like the DSS with the weight plates, is that your TOTAL weight will decrease.

My SeaQuest Balance weighs about 6 pounds and is about 5 pounds positive in salt water. That means, including the total diving weight (Balance plus weight needed to sink it) is about 11 pounds. OTOH, my BP/W weighs about 7 pounds and is six pounds negative -- and if my math is correct, my TOTAL diving weight is about 16 pounds less with the BP/W than with my Balance.

In our cold waters, where "lead equals warmth" a steel BP/W is definately something to consider.

(Note, in diving with an HP 130, I use a steel BP/W with 8 pound DSS weight plates and about 14 pounds in my DUI Wt and Trim -- diving a Bare compressed neoprene suit with a 4th Element Halo or Whites Mark III undergarment. I'm not sure what the total weight would be, HP 130 is about 50 pounds (IIRC), can light about 3 (?) pounds, BP/W + weights, about 15 pounds, regs about 5 (?) pounds (total 73 pounds ?) plus 15 (wt and trim total).)
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

selkie wrote:Spatty,
You used your harness with a bp/w setup do you still use it for your sidemounts?
I (still) use it only with my bp/w.
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

I've never dived/dove? from Capt Jack's boat but I have from others where I needed to doff both the BP and the DUI. Actually it was not a problem. No more of a problem than a weight belt. BUT, people need to understand that body proportions make a significant different in the kit a diver buys and how it is used. In my long torso case the DUI works well because I can position the weights precisely where I need them for proper trim. Maybe a short torso person who is also fairly small might have problems.

If it were me and I was where you are I'd take some of the folks' offers and try out some of the varieties available. After that you may just want to stay with the integrated weight BC. I dove my TransPac with Integrated Weights for several years with no problems as have a lot of others I suspect.

Why not use a weight belt? It is cheaper. With my long torso, no butt body I've twice lost weight belts by them sliding down around my knees. The last case the belt slid just as I was descending, had an ear block and was coping with some malfunctioning kit. I finished the trip with the belt inside my crotch strap. Since then I've tried many different belts and have the same result.
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

Ordered a BP and Wing from Scubatoys (Zeagle Deluxe SS BP).

With this setup versus my BCD, whats my weight adjust appx?
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

Jeff Pack wrote:Ordered a BP and Wing from Scubatoys (Zeagle Deluxe SS BP).

BP is usually about 6lbs.
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

cardiver wrote:
Jeff Pack wrote:Ordered a BP and Wing from Scubatoys (Zeagle Deluxe SS BP).

BP is usually about 6lbs.
Yeah -5 on the BP but don't forget the Zeagle is probably +2 or +3. So try dropping 7lbs and see how it goes.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

My current BCD is a Scuba Pro Tek, but as you note, I expect its probably a few pounds positive buoyancy. So 7 seems reasonable.

CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Sorry, misread that. Yeah all the fabric and padding in most conventional BCs, even "waterlogged", still has a small amount of bouyancy.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

Got my BP in today, diving with itoff the boat tomorrow. (Thx Scubatoys, those guys rock!)

Should be fun.

Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

Love the new BC, backplates are awesome!

Although a question now...

Should I keep my other BC as a backup, or for travel? Not sure I see a case for keeping it.

Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Jeff Pack wrote:Love the new BC, backplates are awesome!

Although a question now...

Should I keep my other BC as a backup, or for travel? Not sure I see a case for keeping it.
Sell!
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman