Is this guy nuts?

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Scube_Noob
Avid Diver

Is this guy nuts?

Post by Scube_Noob »

I am new - but am I missing something here?

http://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/for/2510180951.html

The most expensive vest style BCD I could find on aqualungs website is less than $600 - he is asking $1200 for this one....

I thought it was a type - O but when I emailed him, he said it is $1200, and he would take $200 off... LOL

Just curious - since I don't know my gear that well yet.
We can head up north if that's the place to catch "non-polluted" crab. I don't want to grow a 3rd nipple or anything.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Re: Is this guy nuts?

Post by spatman »

he is definitely asking way too much, especially since that looks like an older model.

he obviously isn't a diver - "flippers" "oxygen tank" and my favorite: "tube that connects to the tank".
mancub
Dive-aholic

Is this guy nuts?

Post by mancub »

As a rule of thumb, I never pay more than half of the retail price when buying used dive gear.

Used isn't necessarily bad or worse quality than new. Just be sure to inquire, as the fine folks on this board are super knowledgable. Helped me in lots of gear decisions...as I lurked around many posts :)
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Yep, that looks like about $120 worth of stuff to me.

He says e-mail of you want to now more. I'd like to know what he's been smoking....
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
jtaylor23
Frequent Bubbler

Post by jtaylor23 »

Thats an Aqua Lung Black Diamond. I have one. Great BC. But he's asking at least twice full pop retail. I'd leave it alone. If he doesn't know what he has, he's probably not a diver. That makes the gear suspect, to me, as stolen or abused.
Sun went down in honey.
Moon came up in wine.
Stars were spinnin' dizzy,
Lord, the band kept us so busy
We forgot about the time.
E_Mo
Aquaphile

Post by E_Mo »

+1 for stolen.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. -Unknown
Scube_Noob
Avid Diver

Post by Scube_Noob »

E_Mo wrote:+1 for stolen.
2 votes for stolen. When I emailed him the 2nd time - he emailed me back and said "can i help you" LMAO...

Hope the owner sees it posted and meets him to buy it, with the cops present...
We can head up north if that's the place to catch "non-polluted" crab. I don't want to grow a 3rd nipple or anything.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Is this guy nuts?

Post by spatman »

Why do you think it's stolen? Just because the person selling doesn't know the proper value or function of the gear?

When I first started diving, I bought a small package of gear from a girl whose father passed away. She had no idea what any of the stuff was or it's value. I exchanged several emails with her, providing links to comparable gear at reasonable prices. We worked a deal that we both felt was fair.

My point is that it seems this seller is being marked as a criminal, when no one really knows who this person is nor what their background and story really is.
E_Mo
Aquaphile

Post by E_Mo »

I maybe a little too skeptical, but with everything together, it seems more likely than not that something is hinky.

With how he claims it is "very useful," and doesn't even mention the SPG console in the ad, although it is in one of the photos, it does not appear that he is familiar with the equipment or the purpose of the equipment, and that he doesn't mention he is selling this on someone else's behalf, or some other reason why he does not know what each item is, it just seems hinky.

But, I could be totally off base...
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. -Unknown
Scube_Noob
Avid Diver

Post by Scube_Noob »

spatman wrote:Why do you think it's stolen? Just because the person selling doesn't know the proper value or function of the gear?
Because he calls them "flippers", "goggles", and "tubes" that connect to the tank. He makes no mention of anyone passing away, or how he aquired the equipement he obviously knows nothing about. He also does not mention not knowing the value of any equipment. He tries to make it sound as though he knows what he(she) is talking about when he says "If your looking to buy this and you would like to know more then just email me." Then when I email him, asking if it's a type - o...he says no, then when I follow up, he says "can I help you?" Seems a bit suspicious to me.

I don't know of any divers (and I am new) that dive with "goggles" LOL

You are right - there is a chance that it is not stolen, but if I were a betting man....
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

I think that he kidnapped a diver JUST out of the water, and removed the gear. He then drove that diver to eastern washington and dropped him off at a deserted area, bound and gagged sitting 20 feet away from a dive knife. This diver knows that come night time the predetors will start roaming and needs to come up with a plan to get to the knife and then release himself. I have no more information on this part of the story.
On the drive back with all the stolen gear he gets pulled over for speeding. In addition to dive gear in the back of his car he also has two rolls of duct tape, some rope and an empty dive knife sheath. When asked how those fit into "diving" he states that he needed to fix a hole on his tube and has the rope in case his goggle rubbery thingys that hold the goggles in malfunction he can use that.
The cop not being a diver, believes his crazy goggle story and lets him go with nothing but a speeding ticket. As he drives home he dreams of Hawaiin vacations at sweet resorts which he will purchase with the money collected from this prized dive gear. He gets home and the first thing he does is makes a tuna fish sandwich with pickles that are sliced up into little pieces cause he likes that. He throws a pot of chicken soup on the stove and sits down. After looking up his dream vacation in Hawaii he gets the price together and decides that its THIS price he needs to get for the equipment in order to fullfil his dream. Its quite a nice trip he cannot bend on pricing.

This is what I think happened...
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Norris nailed it. except for the pickles in tuna thing. i'm having a hard time believing that ridiculousness.
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

spatman wrote:Norris nailed it. except for the pickles in tuna thing. i'm having a hard time believing that ridiculousness.

I like the pickles in tuna thing. OMG!! I'M A THIEF!!
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

What did he slice the pickles with? He left the knife with the diver.
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Penopolypants wrote:I like the pickles in tuna thing. OMG!! I'M A THIEF!!
how much do you want for your flippers and goggles?
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

I approve of this hijacking.

**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

spatman wrote:

They're a bargain at $600, and I'll throw in that big bendy straw thingy that you use to breath to the surface for free.
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Penopolypants wrote:
spatman wrote:

They're a bargain at $600, and I'll throw in that big bendy straw thingy that you use to breath to the surface for free.
PM sent.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

spatman wrote:
Penopolypants wrote:
spatman wrote:

PM sent.
I'm in for the oxygen tanks!!!
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Scube_Noob
Avid Diver

Post by Scube_Noob »

Thanks for all the laughs! :)
Blaiz
Pelagic

Post by Blaiz »

errr

were those dill or sweet pickles?

cause if theyre sweet pickles, then yes, i totally believe the guys a criminal
The student was ready.

it's nice to have low expectations, sometimes - lcf

I said keep going, not start whining -airsix
Jeff2Dive
Avid Diver

Post by Jeff2Dive »

make sure to mix the sweet pickles in with the tuna well. And dont forget the hardboiled egg and mayo.

Can I get a strawberry kiwii juicy with that please.... and some lays bbq chips!

Having had some of my gear stolen, it seems "fishy" from what I've heard. My wife, before she was my wife knew more about dive gear than this guy, and she doesnt even dive, nor had any intrest up till just a few months ago.

"STOP THEIF!!! VANDAL! OUTRAGE! SCANDAL! Gotta eat to live, gotta steal to eat, Otherwise we'd get along WRONG!!!"