DPV question NHZ

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

DPV question NHZ

Post by Dusty2 »

OK guys I know I opening up a can of worms here and this will get some laughs at my expense but here goes. Please no recommendations for the high priced stuff just info on the subject

I have been thinking about one of the cheap DPV's for a long time and there is no way I can afford one of the big boy toys nor for that matter do I want or need one. My funds limit me to one of the 300/350w fleabay types. I know they are not hot rods but then I don't need a hot rod. The main thing I want one for is to extend my range a bit and give me help when the currents are not co-operating and conserve my air for the actual dive site and keep me from having a heart attack getting to and from. I am not getting any younger and exertion burns air like crazy so I just need something to give me a bit of a boost while conserving air. No Monkey dives for me not looking to do aerobatics or break the sound barer just something to make diving a bit safer and more relaxing. :rawlings:

Please no jokes. I am well aware that you get what you pay for but you first need to be able to pay for it. I is better to buy a $200 paper weight than a $2000+ one.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Re: DPV question NHZ

Post by CaptnJack »

Consider a used Dacor. They are surprisingly zippy albit depth limited (100ft-ish). And should be about $400-ish I would guess, if you can find one.

Next choice would be a Mako. Lots of finicky o-rings in these and a pretty fragile plastic case. In pristine condition but without a re-wound motor $5-600 would be fair nowadays. May take a bit of maintenance time & care on your part to keep running well.

Next choice would be a Seadoo which can be had for $200 new. Weak motor and lacking in upgradability. Also takes so jury rigging to get a proper tow cord attached. Towing from the arms is silly and wastes energy. Its not super complicated just not how they were designed. They are better towing someone in wetsuit diving a single tank in the tropics etc. Bulky drysuits etc add alot of drag which slows these guys down alot.

A used but peppier scooter would be a better value IMO.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Raydar
Dive-aholic

Post by Raydar »

So what's the question? :)

I don't know of anybody sitting down and doing a comparison of the various 'cheap' scooters. The 2009 Tahoe Benchmark had one that one of the local guys brought for testing. And, actually, for the price, the test divers were pretty impressed by the performance. I suspect a bit of that was due to pretty low expectations though. :D

Scubaboard has an older thread titled "Quality DPV on a budget?". May have useful info for you.

If I may, I'd suggest looking for an older Mako or a Tekna. Looking around, you can find them under $1k (sometimes much lower). Your stated goals for the scooter, IMO, approach the scooter having a role as life support equipment. It's worth it to spend a few extra $'s to get something that you can have some faith in.
Purveyor of crack ;)
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Thanks for the input, a 100 ft limit is not a problem as I seldom go that deep anyway. The dacor sounds like a good suggestion but, finding used DPV's is not an easy task. I tried the west cost Craig's lists and got only one hit and it was a used sierra. I can't even afford the batteries for one of them. I agree about the being towed while holding on but with my toolmaker back ground modifications are not a big deal. I looked at the torpedo though I couldn't even afford that but the way they expect you to hold on to them is just plain crazy.

You don't happen to know which of the cheap scooters it was that you mentioned?

Looking at a pic of the DPV's tested in 2011 at Tahoe they are all variations on the same theme. none of the lower end machines bothered to come but then given they testing done there was no real reason to. They need to break it up into two groups. The less than $1000 those over that to really be a true test of DPV's. Otherwise it will always be information for the high end buyer. :stir:
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Ive owned 3 of the ebay type scooters ... and yes there cheap and fun for 285.00 .. but i had issues with them all ... mainly leaks , and i never took them down below 60 feet.. the other issue was run time.. max i got was 35 mins... If i was on a budget Id get the seadoo exploror that is like 799.00 , or what Raydar said and capt Jack... dont get a ebay one .. they fail..
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

I have an EBay SeaDoo knockoff that I received as a gift. The giver had good intentions, but I would not scuba dive with this thing. I don't think it's safe. Too weak and fragile. If you inspect one personally you'll understand. It's a pool toy for the kids, not diving equipment. Both design and build quality are very poor. Battery only survived 4 charge/discharge cycles. The kids love the thing though so I'll be scrounging another battery soon. One thing it does well is drag a 6yr old around a swimming pool.
Last edited by airsix on Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

airsix wrote:I have an EBay SeaDoo knockoff that I received as a gift. The giver had good intentions, but I would not scuba dive with this thing. Too weak and fragile. It's a pool toy for the kids. Both design and build quality are very poor. Battery only survived 4 charge/discharge cycles. The kids love the thing though so I'll be scrounging another battery soon.

Time to call batteryspace!
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

airsix wrote:I have an EBay SeaDoo knockoff that I received as a gift. The giver had good intentions, but I would not scuba dive with this thing. I don't think it's safe. Too weak and fragile. If you inspect one personally you'll understand. It's a pool toy for the kids, not diving equipment. Both design and build quality are very poor. Battery only survived 4 charge/discharge cycles. The kids love the thing though so I'll be scrounging another battery soon. One thing it does well is drag a 6yr old around a swimming pool.
+1

Although the actual Seadoo ones don't seem too bad, its just once you put a tank and drysuit on they don't have much left.
http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/Category ... html?Hit=1

So if you are in any kind of real current they will be a swimming assist device. But at $800 new they aren't worth it compared to a used Mako or Tekna (same thing earlier generation) which are probably a smidge cheaper.

I would look or post for used scooters on TDS.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
mcloed121
Aquanaut

Post by mcloed121 »

I have a dpv that only been used once 350 watt i dont use it i would sell it for good price has every thing for it even carrying bag for it.
Anthony
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

Hey Tony whatcha got?
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

airsix wrote:I have an EBay SeaDoo knockoff that I received as a gift. The giver had good intentions, but I would not scuba dive with this thing. I don't think it's safe. Too weak and fragile. If you inspect one personally you'll understand. It's a pool toy for the kids, not diving equipment. Both design and build quality are very poor. Battery only survived 4 charge/discharge cycles. The kids love the thing though so I'll be scrounging another battery soon. One thing it does well is drag a 6yr old around a swimming pool.
I have a 24 volt battery if you want it... free.. its SLA
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
kat
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by kat »

on seadoo dpvs:
"One thing it does well is drag a 6yr old around a swimming pool."

One thing it does not do well is drag a 6ft diver in gear anywhere. i think i put out more effort with the scooter.
"As long as you get everything tucked into your pants, you are good to go." -wasp7000
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

I know several folks that have the seadoo explorer (i think it's called) while they can't hang with a 'real' scooter they don't do too bad and the owners have a great time with them. they essentially 'threw away' the lower models after just a dive or two and ended up with seadoo's bada$$ scooter :).....
These guys use them in drysuits with twins and get decent burn times as long as they are not on the trigger the entire dive. While scoot's could get you into trouble if your not careful, they can kick a$$ for getting you around a divesite so you can visit more areas on a single dive.... nothing like hitting sund rock and being able to do North and south walls, area 52 and the boats over in front of the old HS&Dive shop.... all on ONE dive... too cool.
I just turn down the sierra and enjoy the sunday drive speeds... or I just cruz circles around em' at mach 2 :)))
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
Novice
Dive-aholic

Post by Novice »

So I am not going to be buying one of these anytime soon but I have been salivating over them. What do you guys think of the Torpedo DPV? It seems like its not much more than the top of the line Seadoo.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

I think the hand position that way sucks. I can't imagine hanging on to a DPV like that without huge stresses on your wrists. Also I am not wild about there magnet on your glove type switch. Seems funky to me.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Dusty2 wrote:I think the hand position that way sucks. I can't imagine hanging on to a DPV like that without huge stresses on your wrists. Also I am not wild about there magnet on your glove type switch. Seems funky to me.

See the 2009 Tahoe benchmark result for a comparison of the Torpedo and the seadoo.

http://www.tahoebenchmark.com/pdfs/2009 ... markV2.pdf

For what a torpedo costs, I would save a while more and get a used sierra.

Dusty, with your machining background and tools, I think you should build one.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Post by sheahanmcculla »

One thing to think about on the seadoo. Attaching it to your bc or harness. I think the plastic would not hold up by the prop.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

sheahanmcculla wrote:One thing to think about on the seadoo. Attaching it to your bc or harness. I think the plastic would not hold up by the prop.
You need to attach the tow cord to the handles, not the shroud. So the "V" of the tow cord will be sideways not up and down. I have never tried this orientation but others have and it seems to work for them.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Just purchased a used Apollo / Dacor Sea Sprint U/W Diver Propulsion Vehicle. Hope I did good. :nutty:
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Dusty2 wrote:Just purchased a used Apollo / Dacor Sea Sprint U/W Diver Propulsion Vehicle. Hope I did good. :nutty:
If the seals & battery is good they are decent :) Rob Holman has one and he's kept up with a Gavin & Sierra for 20+mins before the voltage started falling off. IIRC its just one 12V battery and they are non-proprietary so not very expensive to replace. Get a good 3stage charger if it doesn't have one already. This one would be fine for overnight charging and just leave it on all the time. http://www.batteryspace.com/leadacidsma ... isted.aspx
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

thanks Capt. Got my fingers crossed that all is as advertised. here is a link to the acution.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... SA:US:1123
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

Google lithium motorcycle battery. There are some neat batteries out there to replace the old sla
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Assuming the motor board and brushes are in good shape despite being flooded, that should work well for you for the price. I would just replace the SLA if needed, any kind of Li-ion technology is just excess $$ draining from the wallet. Try the existing battery and see how long it lasts. Then if necessary you can find aftermarket batteries for a fraction of the "official" Apollo price, unfortunately I don't know the part number. Best to just measure the dimensions if you decide to replace it. Powersonic are the largest source and internet sources come and go for those.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

According to the seller the battery is healthy and everything is functioning except the moisture light. Just have to wait and see. I talked to a guy who rebuilds these and he said that is quite common for one that has been flooded. The moisture sensor tends to continue making contact which shuts down the scooter so people just disconnect it. trick is, I gotta get it here first. I'm hoping it makes it sometime next week so I can take it to PT with me on this trip.
airsix
I've Got Gills

Re: Re: DPV question NHZ

Post by airsix »

Thanks for the offer, Chris. My kids will be happy. They pouted all summer about the dead battery. I'm going to try and get over there this month. Maybe we can meet finally!
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey