Dive computer recommendations.......

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
PapaZ
Compulsive Diver

Dive computer recommendations.......

Post by PapaZ »

Recommendations for a new dive computer:

Have been using a Mares Puck, battery died, replaced, leaked. Sadly, found out (the hard way) that the battery compartment is not sealed from the inner unit. Salt water inside toasted it. :angry: :angry:

Needs:
1. Easy to read
2. Easy changeable battery (sealed battery compartment would be nice)
3. Under $400.
4. Wrist mount

Recommendations Please?
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Re: Dive computer recommendations.......

Post by Dusty2 »

You'll get a gazillion answers on this one. From what do you need a computer for? To the high end high dollar stuff.

The simple fact is that it is a matter of what works for you. Do you need nitrox? one or two mixes? Do you want conservative? and allot of other questions. Here is a killer deal if you want something easy to read. Full color display and the works.
http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.a ... eMaresIcon I think I'd jump on this if I needed a computer right now. This is a demo computer but for less than half price? Scuba Toys has always done me good on this type of deal.

There are a limited number of computer manufacturers out there. Allot of the brands are the same computer just a different bezel. Zeagle, dive rite, cressy are pretty much the same computers with maybe a slight difference in software. Oceanic tends to be very conservative as does Suunto. For some this is not a problem others hate it.

I use Mares and have had no problems with them? I have friends that have had allot of problems with Oceanic? I think no matter what you pick you will find those that say it's junk and others that swear by it.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

I've got a Suunto Vyper wrist computer I like, and have an Oceanic Pro Plus 2.1 (Air Integrated on the way).(Console, not wrist)

Only reason I'm really changing is the numbers are bigger on the Oceanic, and with air integrated, so I have better alarms on low air when I forget to check as frequently as I should. I'll still keep my analog SPG as a save a dive backup, in case the AI fails.

As for the Vyper, its not the easiest to read, but not the worst. The menu system on it isnt the most intuitive in my opinion.
But its also not huge on my wrist either, which is a factor to me. Its backlit.

The Suunto Zoop's are also well spoken of.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

If you can get away with a gauge the Uwatec 330m's are about $210 + $15 for the DSS boot. I lost mine overboard in August and was pleasantly surprised how budget it was to replace. Even easier to multilevel with them since they now have average depth.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

One other factor you maybe should consider. Even though the same computer may be sold under different names they may not function the same. They may have significantly different software and/or firmware. That can make a difference in your diving profiles. It can also be annoying when the algorithm doesn't match what you are used to, or what your buddies are using.

If you dive with the same buddies a lot maybe the simple answer is to get what they have. There is a lot to be said for everyone in a group to be equipped the same, or very close to the same.
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
Grisimal
Getting To Know Folks

Post by Grisimal »

Dusty2 wrote:I think I'd jump on this if I needed a computer right now. This is a demo computer but for less than half price? Scuba Toys has always done me good on this type of deal.
Sweet, thank you for pointing that out. I just ordered one. :partydance:
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Grisimal wrote:
Dusty2 wrote:I think I'd jump on this if I needed a computer right now. This is a demo computer but for less than half price? Scuba Toys has always done me good on this type of deal.
Sweet, thank you for pointing that out. I just ordered one. :partydance:
:supz:
Diver_Dave
I've Got Gills

Post by Diver_Dave »

got a scuba pro luna for cheap was a display model....http://www.scubapro.com/en-US/USA/instr ... -luna.aspx
Attachments
IMG_6363.JPG
D.D.
Sitka,Alaska
Finding things under water....
BlowBubbles
Frequent Bubbler

Post by BlowBubbles »

I got a Dive Rite Trio. I like it, its very conservative. Only a few dives on it so far, can't speak about its long term durability.