I want an air-integrated computer, what do you think?

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
lizard0924
Submariner

Re: I want an air-integrated computer, what do you think?

Post by lizard0924 »

Well, if dad is paying....Suunto D6i with the optional wireless transmitter. Love mine, and I wear it as a watch when I'm not diving. That makes me feel better about shelling out all that $$$.
Liz

www.lizsundquist.com

Holy cow! I'm the Godzilla of the underworld, apparently. ~ JenBowes
I'm going to tie my spool off on your manifold and ride you like a manatee! ~ Scottsax
Lundy will forever be known as The Guy Touching Richard's Thong. ~ Spatman
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

jedidiver wrote:I don't know how hard to read your read your computer.It would seem it is not that big a deal,yet it is.
Well, don't try TOO hard to read my read my computer. And its only a big deal if you want to know how deep how deep you are, and how long how long you've been there.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Peter Guy
Compulsive Diver

Post by Peter Guy »

OP -- a few observations from a different POV:

a. You really do need to know some information while you are underwater -- Depth and Air Pressure are, in my opinion, the most important pieces of information with Time Underwater a close third -- seeing your "NDL Remaining" time is a distant fourth

b. IF you have the option, having all three of those pieces of information available for you to easily see is a very good idea. The easiest place to have that information be available is on your wrist.

c. Having a gauge or computer on your wrist that tells you depth and time (and NDL Remaining) is easy and, as scuba equipment goes, pretty inexpensive and simple. The problem, of course, comes with also having the same gauge give you your Air Pressure since IF it is going to be a wrist mounted gauge, it must have a transmitter. That causes several issues: Significantly increases the cost and it does increase the chance of failure.

BUT, since Air Pressure IS one of the most important pieces of information you need while underwater (especially as a new diver), having that information "at your fingertips" is really nice.

So, what to do? If "Santa" is really nice, go for a wrist mounted, air integrated, computer and know that it might fail at some point and you'll need to end your dive. It won't happen often, but it is a real issue.

OTOH, if "Santa" has a limit, get a good wrist mounted computer and an SPG which will be clipped off to your left side.

The one thing I'd ask Santa NOT to bring me is a console mounted, air integrated, computer because then you have all of the problems of dealing with an SPG with none of the benefits of having information readily available on your wrist.

----------------
For the record -- I dive with an air integrated computer which is clipped off to my left side -- an air integrated computer that is wrist mounted AND a very nice (and expensive) computer which is also mounted on my wrist.
Ranbal
Just Settling In

Post by Ranbal »

Check out Atomics Cobalt. Girlfriend and I just picked up ours. Very nice.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

If you are just an OW diver (and particularly if you are young and have one of the limited certs) you won't be going that deep, and using tables will still allow you pretty good dive times. Air consumption may limit your dives more than decompression does.

I really, really like having my depth and time information on my wrist. That way, as BDub says, they are visible throughout the entire dive, without having to use a hand to pull something up to look at it. If you have an air-integrated computer on your HP hose, you either have to pull it up, or figure out a way to clip it across your chest so that you can see it. But to look at it there, you have to look down, which means you are looking away from your buddies and from any upline or other navigational reference. This can be a problem, in low viz or in current.

I think a simple, wrist mounted computer is a very reasonable purchase for novice divers, and honestly, these days, those can be had for less than the cost of a plain bottom timer like the Uwatec or the Xen. But the air integration, although it has some useful features for logging, really isn't needed underwater. You don't have to check your pressure on a moment-to-moment basis (although I've dived with some OW students where maybe they did!) and being able to check a simple pressure gauge gives you all the gas information you need. Having to do the math to figure out your gas consumption for the dive (something AI computers may do for you) is a good intellectual exercise, too.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

There is a very large segment of the diving populous that seems to think Air integrated is awesome (actually larger by far than the gauge only crew) I dive with both types... i've been known to use the air integrated widget from time to time usually on a tropical vaca (because my regular buddies would kind of look at me funny for having it on my kit - its a guilty pleasure) or regularly check my 'brass and glass' pressure gauge clipped off to my hip (the regularity goes up when i'm diving singles vs doubles)

that said, i think it depends a bit on what your diving plans are...

I would encourage a non-console unit, if only so when you travel and/or dive rental equipment you always have "your" gauge/computer/bottom timer/whatever.

OLED is nice but for sure not necessary. (you old farts shut it! Give him 40 years!)

Computer is fine, the algorithms are all pretty solid these days for recreational dives... Depth gauge/bottom timer is fine too, but you need to learn tables or how to manage your own no-deco dives, don't just take our word for it here on the interweb.

so... what kind of diving do you do? what are your plans? what is the expected ...budget? (you've gotten some excellent feedback here, but we really don't know anything about you)
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
jedidiver
Frequent Bubbler

Post by jedidiver »

ljjames wrote: so... what kind of diving do you do? what are your plans? what is the expected ...budget? (you've gotten some excellent feedback here, but we really don't know anything about you)
I would probably dive to a 100 feet for the first couple years. I want to dive and have fun at diving. I would probably buy something nice, but not expensive.
The stormtroopers night out. :funky: :funky: :funky: :funky: :funky: :funky: :funky: :funky: :funky: :funky:
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

this would be a nice unit that could grow with you no matter what path your diving takes... it is not air integrated, but it is a very nice, reliable, compact unit. I have the previous model (got it used), and it is my back up, taken on all dives.

There are probably all sorts of others out there, i just don't have much experience with them :)

http://www.scubapro.com/en-US/USA/instr ... in-2g.aspx

no matter what unit you get, I would encourage something like this:

https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=129

Will someday save your dive, because straps break, and the bungie makes it automatically depth compensating so it doesn't get loose when diving a wetsuit :)
----
jedidiver
Frequent Bubbler

Post by jedidiver »

• ljjames wrote: but we really don't know anything about you
    whose we?
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

jedidiver wrote:
    whose we?
We, the great big wide world of internet divers!
Heck I thought you were 11yo
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

What Richard Said ;)

(we being probably most of the folks posting on this thread) <grin>
CaptnJack wrote:
jedidiver wrote:
    whose we?
----
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

ljjames wrote:What Richard Said ;)

(we being probably most of the folks posting on this thread) <grin>
CaptnJack wrote:
jedidiver wrote:
    whose we?

and then there was overkill

airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Dashrynn wrote:
Dash, I don't know what you're talking about, but if you can get Jeri Ryan to be your spokesperson I promise to listen more intently. Image
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

airsix wrote:
Dashrynn wrote:
Dash, I don't know what you're talking about, but if you can get Jeri Ryan to be your spokesperson I promise to listen more intently. Image
Dash who?

+1 on that!
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

CaptnJack wrote:
airsix wrote:
Dashrynn wrote:
Dash who?

+1 on that!
wonder how much trouble I would be in of I made a jeri Ryan sockpuppet account....hmmmm
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I really need one of those happy borgcakes as an avatar!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames