I want an air-integrated computer, what do you think?

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Re: I want an air-integrated computer, what do you think?

Post by CaptnJack »

What is recent?
And even batteries lasting 3x longer than the original firmware is still a "short" time to me. Not to mention that it seems like Liquivision is always "fixing" something in their product line. Lots of hard use I guess.

My Uwatec gauge batteries have outlasted me (ie I lost the gauge after 3 years long before the 8-10 year batteries expired). I bought another Uwatec 330m to replace it; was half the price of the Xen.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
jedidiver
Frequent Bubbler

Re: RE: I want an air-integrated computer, what do you think

Post by jedidiver »

dewmercer wrote:Yup. Nothing is open to the water and no buttons to futz with in bulky gloves with cold hands.
Maybe I can use the force to control it...
The stormtroopers night out. :funky: :funky: :funky: :funky: :funky: :funky: :funky: :funky: :funky: :funky:
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

The only reason I've understood so far for air integrated, is so that you can easily calc your SAC (Oceanic 2.1 Pro Plus) and the download software does it for me. Its interesting to mentally go over the dive, and see what my air consumption changed. (What was I doing?)

My first dive kit was an SPG, and a Suunto Vyper Wrist computer. I got the AI, to easily monitor and track my SAC when I started to (ever remotely) begin to get better enough that it mattered.

You can still do your SAC without AI, you just have to write down start and stop tank pressures, and dive time.

As for a console computer, yes its abit heavier and bulkier, but mines on a retractor, so it stays pretty tight. I dont even notice it.

Unless you got one of those "you're stupid to pass it up" kind of deals on an AI, I'd stick with a wrist computer and an SPG. Save the rest of the money for some scuba lessons with Bob. I still have my SPG on a small console in my save a dive kit,in case my AI goes TU.

Otherwise, your choice on AI is integrated, or wireless. wireless is one more thing to fail.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Wait until you get some dives under your belt to consider a computer. As said here everyone should become proficient with the old school way first then consider where you want to go from there when you can make an informed decision. Buying equipment to soon is the most common mistake new divers make.

I will start the argument going now...... :stir:

I dive an air integrated consul computer, Always have and I see no reason to change.In 10+ years and 1500 or so dives I have only had one actually fail. I have failed to change the batteries a couple of times but 3 or 4 aborted dives out of 1500 ain't bad. I am not a fan of the wireless units because the computers tend to be very small and hard to read and the sending units tend to fail and are quite expensive. As for the "don't trust the electronics" bunch..... How many of them are also re-breather users? That is one of the most electronics dependent dive rigs you can use. You depend on electronics with every breath you take! Computers can fail but then mechanical devices can fail too. If you buy a decent computer, and that doesn't read expensive, and maintain it properly it is a good and safe bottom timer also. Air integrated computers tend to be very pricey and don't really add allot of value so stick with a good brand name wrist mount that will fit into a Deep Sea Supply bungy mount and if you want to just use it in gauge mode and go old school...have at it!

OK I have my flack vest on! :popcorn:
Last edited by Dusty2 on Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jedidiver
Frequent Bubbler

Post by jedidiver »

The Uwateh seems to be a good dive computer.(but i have not made up my mind yet.
The stormtroopers night out. :funky: :funky: :funky: :funky: :funky: :funky: :funky: :funky: :funky: :funky:
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

I check my depth/time more than I check my gas. I'd prefer my computer/bt to be easily accessible and convenient. I prefer not to unclip it every time I check depth/time.

Also, it's convenient when dumping gas (left hand), to be able to watch your depth, if needed. If I dump my wing/bc with my left hand, and my computer is clipped off to my left side, it makes it a bit tough.

Add a scooter to the mix and a wrist computer/bt becomes a necessity.

Additionally, if my computer/bt fails (and I've had this happen more than once), big deal. I have a pretty good idea of what my ascent should look like, and I have teammates who can show me their computer/bt, or give it to me, depending on roles within the team. If it's AI, then I've not only lost depth and time (not a biggie), but also how much gas I have (biggie).
Last edited by BDub on Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
jedidiver
Frequent Bubbler

Post by jedidiver »

Dusty2 wrote:Wait until you get some dives under your belt to consider a computer. As said here everyone should become proficient with the old school way first then consider where you want to go from there when you can make an informed decision. Buying equipment to soon is the most common mistake new divers make.
That makes sense,and I don't want to be one of those new divers that make a big mistake!I don't want to run out of gas and not know it,but can you have a gas gauge and a air-intigrated computer,and both reading your gas at the same time?(ie have a gas gauge as a back-up)
dewmercer
Avid Diver

RE: I want an air-integrated computer, what do you think?

Post by dewmercer »

Uwatec is a tried and proven computer. Check eBay.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express
--
DAve Mercer
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

BDub makes a good point, and why I still have my Vyper wrist computer. I just use it for BT and depth.

That way since I've learned from Bob to keep my hands out Superman style, my wrist computer is right there to watch depth and dive time.

Plus when using left hand on the BCD inflator, can watch depth for ascents.

So if you gota have a computer, get a wrist mounted non AI unit and an SPG. Later dowen the road, you can go AI, and decide if console or wrist is for you.

I like my Oceanic cuz its got big ass numbers, and easy to read.

dewmercer
Avid Diver

Post by dewmercer »

Yes to your question. Your first stage should have 2 HP ports. But then, you'll get into the habit of using only the AI and won't use the SPG thus rendering the SPG nothing more than an entanglement hazard and putting yourself at the merci of electronics.

--
DAve Mercer
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Be advised that Uwatec is out of business so repairs could be a problem.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

jedidiver wrote:That makes sense,and I don't want to be one of those new divers that make a big mistake!I don't want to run out of gas and not know it,but can you have a gas gauge and a air-intigrated computer,and both reading your gas at the same time?(ie have a gas gauge as a back-up)
If your AI goes out, dive is over, end of story. Now if you have a backup SPG on there, you could continue, but as noted, more stuf to get caught up with .

Now dont get caught thinking like i did,that the alarms on my computer would alert me on low air, or dive time. I've never yet heard any of the alerts, so you have to get used to regularly checking your air, and a buddy that watches for BUO's (bubbles of unknown origin) (failing tank valve, 1st stage leak, whatever.).

dewmercer
Avid Diver

Post by dewmercer »

Readability is a big deal. My suunto vyper air is an LCD with big numbers. Its great in the tropics but needs illumination in PNW waters. Holding down the backlight button is a hassle and the glare from my 35W HID made it tough. I love OLED displays even though they are hard on batteries.

--
DAve Mercer
jedidiver
Frequent Bubbler

Post by jedidiver »

I don't know how hard to read your read your computer.It would seem it is not that big a deal,yet it is.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Dusty2 wrote:Be advised that Uwatec is out of business so repairs could be a problem.
Uemis. Uwatec is scubapro.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
jedidiver
Frequent Bubbler

Post by jedidiver »

Nwbrewer wrote:
Dusty2 wrote:Be advised that Uwatec is out of business so repairs could be a problem.
What does Uemis mean?
dewmercer
Avid Diver

Post by dewmercer »

Underwater equipment made in Switzerland. A now defunct dive computer maker.

Sent from my Windows Phone using Board Express
--
DAve Mercer
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

jedidiver wrote:
Nwbrewer wrote:
What does Uemis mean?
Uemis is the company that went out of business.

Now go play outside or something.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Uwatec = scubapro, not out of business as far as I know?
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

dewmercer wrote:Readability is a big deal. My suunto vyper air is an LCD with big numbers. Its great in the tropics but needs illumination in PNW waters. Holding down the backlight button is a hassle and the glare from my 35W HID made it tough. I love OLED displays even though they are hard on batteries.

The OP is 11 years old, I think he'll be able to read most gauges...
jedidiver
Frequent Bubbler

Post by jedidiver »

The OP is 11 years old, I think he'll be able to read most gauges...[/quote]
I am not 11.(though i do read small print often.)
dewmercer
Avid Diver

Post by dewmercer »

jedidiver wrote:CaptenJack,Dewmercer,have you resently checked your information?( i am just wondering)
Which Info?

Re battery life: Well, its based on my recent experience and the Xen is much better than it was.
Re battery prices: I just bought 10 from a local dealer so I know that that's accurate.
--
DAve Mercer
jedidiver
Frequent Bubbler

Post by jedidiver »

Got it.That's nice to know.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

jedidiver wrote:The OP is 11 years old, I think he'll be able to read most gauges...
I am not 11.(though i do read small print often.)[/quote]

Sorry, the OP is 10, not 11.

CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Nwbrewer wrote:
jedidiver wrote:The OP is 11 years old, I think he'll be able to read most gauges...
I am not 11.(though i do read small print often.)
Sorry, the OP is 10, not 11.[/quote]

In a decade he'll dream of being called 21 when he's 20...